• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kal's Beolab review is out!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
:)Thought of that when I saw this in a recent speaker review (not the Beolabs):

Edit: removed brand name of the speaker as not relevant.
It's ok, this is the desperate dealer area so propaganda and endless attempts to link products together for commercial purposes are expected...

It's the beolab90 thread but hey kii three hijacked it again lol

Il rename it..

He's a more developed discussion on the ... You guessed it kii three :rolleyes:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=195311

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You almost certainly won't need three men to position them.
Keith

fas42

Major Contributor
Wise move ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It will get a rating of 'Class A - Limited Frequency Extension'.

Which then presents a problem -- how can you have the LS50 and the Kii Three in the same category?

Just extend the usage of the Class A+ rating to speakers, which hasn't been done yet (unless I missed it).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just extend the usage of the Class A+ rating to speakers, which hasn't been done yet (unless I missed it).

Sure, put all the $50K+ speakers (mbl, Wilson, YG, etc.) in the A+ group leaving regular class A for the cheapskate 'only the price of a Honda Civic' mass produced riff-raff like B&W, KEF, Revel, and Dynaudio.

Vandersteen is a weird duck. The fact that they came out with a $62k speaker just seems anti-thetical to the roots of the 2CE and it's wood-frame-in-a-sock vibe.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bumping this thread: Finally got around to reading Kal's review. Let me say it straight out: That's how subjective hifi reviews should be written, IMO! Clearly written, with much clarifying context on the design, and no audiophile woo (alright, except for the thing about differences between digital cables). The descriptions of the subjective listening experiences are so clear and precise that I can relate them to things I can hear myself. Well done.

Any news on when your Kii Three review might be up, Kal?

(concerning the stereophile measurements, btw: how come there's no distortion measurements? J. Atkinson must surely have the know-how to do them?)

On another note - this review, and Kal's clear preference for narrow mode, reinforced a view I've had for some time: That the ideal speaker types for home use actually may actually be opposite extremes when it comes to dispersion characteristics. I think speakers with narrow directivity, like the Beolab 90, electrostats, dipoles and big horns, often will work very well. Old vintage box speakers with wide baffles probably worked better than the tiny modern boxes, partly because the wider baffles sent more of the sound directly forward. But I also think that omnidirectional speakers, the exact opposite in fact, may work very well also. Speakers with very narrow dispersion avoid interacting with the room, so there are fewer reflections that are different from the direct sound. Omnis illuminate absolutely everything, on the other hand. BUT the reflections are very similar to the direct sound, so the stereo image will be less smeared and diffuse as a result.

This is how I've experienced it so far, at least. The speakers I've like the most have either had narrow directivity (like dipoles, horns or the Beolab 90), or omnis (the MBL 101, German Physiks).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Old vintage box speakers with wide baffles probably worked better than the tiny modern boxes, partly because the wider baffles sent more of the sound directly forward.

By this, are you referring to beaming?

If so, interesting because beaming is generally viewed as 'not good'.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Just bumping this thread: Finally got around to reading Kal's review. Let me say it straight out: That's how subjective hifi reviews should be written, IMO! Clearly written, with much clarifying context on the design, and no audiophile woo (alright, except for the thing about differences between digital cables). The descriptions of the subjective listening experiences are so clear and precise that I can relate them to things I can hear myself. Well done.
Thank you.

Any news on when your Kii Three review might be up, Kal?
CORRECTION: The speakers are up and running now. No date yet set for publication.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By this, are you referring to beaming?

If so, interesting because beaming is generally viewed as 'not good'.

Hm... TBH I've never really understood exactly what beaming means, only that it's about uneven disperson according to frequency. I was thinking along the lines of the design philosophy of the Grimm LS1, which claims that a wide baffle can provide for more constant directivity. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ons-wide-baffles-case-study-grimm-ls-1-a.html

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks. Ok, I understand what you mean. I think the thing with wide baffles and/or large woofers, is that it makes the sound waves further down in frequency more "beaming" as well - so the net result is a more even dispersion across the frequency spectrum. The problem with beaming as I understand it is that bass waves have very wide dispersion and go almost everywhere, while the high frequency content mostly goes forward. Larger baffles may force the sound waves in the mid-bass and bass to go forward as well. That's also the rationale for infinite baffle or flush mount speakers, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Old vintage box speakers with wide baffles probably worked better than the tiny modern boxes
I think so, too. There's an article here that says something on those lines:
What is true of the mini-monitor, that it cannot be EQed to sound right, is also true of narrow-front floor-standers. They sound too midrange-oriented because of the nature of the room sound. This is something about the geometry of the design. It cannot be substantially altered by crossover decisions and so on. How then can it be that narrowfront speakers are nearly ubiquitous? How did audio wander off into what amounts to a blind alley?
It suggests that slim speakers are just a fashion and don't sound as good as they used to - this seems to ring true to me. I like "monkey coffins".

(The Beolab, of course, tackles the issue actively)

Top Bottom