• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who's on Lock Down or Working from Home because of you know what?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Stuck at home since March 17. My wife worked one week at home and now she is not working anymore but without financial loss, for the moment. For me, I am working as consultant in essential (financial) business so still working and it seems the customer needs me for the moment.

Anyway we are using our 3D printer night and day for printing protections for the hospital near us.
Hospital ask us to print this model from Prusa :
https://www.prusaprinters.org/

We also print some samples for people around us, like (a kind of french) Seven Eleven, this model is simpler and faster to print :

I hope the printer will work until the end of the crisis and hope I will be able to buy PLA filament as much as we need to print.

Also my wife is sawing masks defined by AFNOR, the French national organization for standardization. Their document is clear and define guidelines to do the job correctly.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a stupid idea, IMO. There's already a shortage of masks. Mandating them would mean that most people would be prevented from leaving their house at all, even to buy food, while those who really need them (healthcare workers) would have an even harder time getting as many as they need.
They didn’t say what type of mask...
Maybe since they are saying that 25% of the people that have the virus could be asymptomatic, it could keep the virus from spreading to others.
I’m lucky in that I don’t have to go anywhere.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been working from home since before lockdown was enforced here. It helps that we're well served for Internet access in this country. I'm on gigabit cable, but we rolled out gigabit FTTH (Fibre To The Home) to as much of the country as practical over the past few years. For the rest, we've rolled out fixed wireless broadband (using the 4G cellular infrastructure). Our geographical position means we can effectively lock down our borders and control the influx of infected people. So we're in good shape compared to many countries. The Government's plan is to eliminate infections completely, then we can relax internal restrictions while isolating incoming people until they are proven virus free. The only fly in the ointment is, of course, those people who flout the restrictions...
On the masks topic, I'm for wearing them in public. They may not do much to prevent me breathing in the virus, but they will reduce the chances of "you" spreading the virus in the environment. The main problem is people who don't use them properly - for example, instead of using once then discarding, they take them off and stuff them in their pockets for using next time. For such people, mask use is arguably worse than useless. They'll transfer an increased virus load off the mask onto their hands and then to any surface they touch.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I currently am working from home (in fact already for 2 weeks now) and my productivity has gone through the roof. I don't know what to make of that. Perks of being in IT industry, I guess.

gvl

Major Contributor
WFH as the office has been shut down. Not missing my 1hr commute by a bit. The Adam A3Xs I picked recently second-hand are getting the use they deserve and keeping me entertained.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Reminisce:

3509.jpg

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey. Been home since March 9th after my last show . All of my work up until football season has gone away including the Olympics. I have taken a real hit . I have lost alot but I dont want to lose my life either so I'm staying put . I have not seen my family this much in 10 years. I hope they dont throw me out. I hope we get through this thing. It's a real mess.

Peace

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey. Been home since March 9th after my last show . All of my work up until football season has gone away including the Olympics. I have taken a real hit . I have lost alot but I dont want to lose my life either so I'm staying put . I have not seen my family this much in 10 years. I hope they dont throw me out. I hope we get through this thing. It's a real mess.

Peace
216269EB-29A4-4250-A406-1FA531FA2BF2.jpeg

GD Fan

Forum Donor

Peace
Hey man, stay inside and stay healthy. Keep hanging out here for sanity's sake which is what I've been doing (for reasons that suddenly seem to have morphed). This is a great time to revisit old albums!

Stay safe!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey man, stay inside and stay healthy. Keep hanging out here for sanity's sake which is what I've been doing (for reasons that suddenly seem to have morphed). This is a great time to revisit old albums!

Stay safe!
Been keeping busy with chat, TV, ASR and FPS games. I completed Sniper Elite 4 today and loaded 57GB of Metro Exodus today and so I'll commence that game soon and I have 5 more after that are all bought and ready to roll. :D Life could be a whole lot worse... a whole lot.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/312660/Sniper_Elite_4/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I've been working from home since before lockdown was enforced here. It helps that we're well served for Internet access in this country. I'm on gigabit cable, but we rolled out gigabit FTTH (Fibre To The Home) to as much of the country as practical over the past few years. For the rest, we've rolled out fixed wireless broadband (using the 4G cellular infrastructure). Our geographical position means we can effectively lock down our borders and control the influx of infected people. So we're in good shape compared to many countries. The Government's plan is to eliminate infections completely, then we can relax internal restrictions while isolating incoming people until they are proven virus free. The only fly in the ointment is, of course, those people who flout the restrictions...
On the masks topic, I'm for wearing them in public. They may not do much to prevent me breathing in the virus, but they will reduce the chances of "you" spreading the virus in the environment. The main problem is people who don't use them properly - for example, instead of using once then discarding, they take them off and stuff them in their pockets for using next time. For such people, mask use is arguably worse than useless. They'll transfer an increased virus load off the mask onto their hands and then to any surface they touch.

NEJM, Apr. 2, 2020:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Florida just went on lockdown.

I have legal issues and will have virtual conferences with my counsel.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Can you define lock down? To what extent are you locked down?

I believe it's a stay at home order. Trips to the grocery, pharmacy, doctor, carry-out restaurant, etc. are permitted. We're under those orders here in Pennsylvania.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it's a stay at home order. Trips to the grocery, pharmacy, doctor, carry-out restaurant, etc. are permitted. We're under those orders here in Pennsylvania.
That must suck. We in Alberta Canada can go out and about and do stuff they just recommend we stay home and if going out keep 6 foot distance from others if we are near. I just stay home and go out maybe once every 2-3 days for a short bit. I'm getting good at refreshing the ASR website :D

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
That must suck. We in Alberta Canada can go out and about and do stuff they just recommend we stay home and if going out keep 6 foot distance from others if we are near. I just stay home and go out maybe once every 2-3 days for a short bit. I'm getting good at refreshing the ASR website :D

I forgot we are allowed to take walks/runs/exercise outdoors and of course walk the dog(s). The police won't pull you over while driving to enforce the order.

mansr

Major Contributor
I forgot we are allowed to take walks/runs/exercise outdoors and of course walk the dog(s). The police won't pull you over while driving to enforce the order.
That's what we're told to do here, but police have rather limited powers to actually enforce it. They can issue a £30 fine, though that's supposed to be used only as a "last resort," and they obviously can't know how often you go outside. Here in Southampton I've only seen a police officer once since the restrictions started, and people are few and far between in streets and parks. I suppose more densely populated areas might be different, of course.

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
That's what we're told to do here, but police have rather limited powers to actually enforce it. They can issue a £30 fine, though that's supposed to be used only as a "last resort," and they obviously can't know how often you go outside. Here in Southampton I've only seen a police officer once since the restrictions started, and people are few and far between in streets and parks. I suppose more densely populated areas might be different, of course.

Oh, I forgot, even family members are to observe the six foot social distancing guidelines in public places such as super markets. I don't understand that.

mansr

Major Contributor
Oh, I forgot, even family members are to observe the six foot social distancing guidelines in public places such as super markets. I don't understand that.
Maybe that's just so others don't see them and get the wrong idea.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Day Two of Arizona's Cower In Place policy, and the traffic is just as heavy as it was before the order.

Top Bottom