• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else binge-watching TV series during the coronavirus quarantines?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Raising Dion on Netflix is binge-worthy ..
Good show IMO.

I , also , found "The Boys" offensive but it is realistic. Witnessing the behavior of so may in power, that of many of the superheros in "The Boys" is more likely than the agonizing angst of Marvel characters ...

A bit of OT. I would love Netflix to come up with a better interface. They have tons of movies and shows but finding these is difficult to impossible... Contrast this to the brilliance of Spotify and to a much lesser extent Roon ... Through these services, especially Spotify, I have discovered so much more music...

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
the agonizing angst of Marvel characters ...

Are you old enough to remember the kids animated show featuring Marvel heroes (using that horrible Speed Racer animation)? The theme song actually said, "neurotic super hero", I wonder how many kids asked their parents what that meant.

Meet a sulky, over-bulky, kinda Hulk-y superhero
A two-fisted and electrically-transistored superhero
An exotically neurotic and aquatic superhero,
The Marvel Super Heroes have arrived!
Super-powered from their forehead to their toes...
Watch 'em change their very shape before your nose!
See a cane-striking superhero change to Viking superhero
A hum-dingin', real swingin', shield-flingin' superhero
They're the latest, they're the greatest, ultimate-est superheroes,
The Marvel Super Heroes have arrIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVED!

Main Theme

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love The Expanse. You might check out Altered Carbon, I really enjoyed season one, and will be starting season two tonight. Lost in Space is fun. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, having grown up watching the original show and at first being a bit put off by some of the changes they made for the new series.

I really liked the books, but I think the small changes and the character they added for TV made sense.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a highbrow binge watcher, so I've been watching the Criterion Channel and various other artsy-fartsy highbrow things. I like to feel virtuous about my binge watching, when all I'm doing still is sitting on my ass watching TV.

On a related point, I have felt very little interest in listening to music or reading during this entire epidemic. Before the epidemic, I recreationally read 1,000+ pages of books per week. I've covered a whopping 47 pages of my current book since March 12. I don't know what explains this behavioral change, and I doubt I'm alone.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm a highbrow binge watcher, so I've been watching the Criterion Channel and various other artsy-fartsy highbrow things. I like to feel virtuous about my binge watching, when all I'm doing still is sitting on my ass watching TV.

After consecutive evenings of Terence Malick's Knight of Cups and Wim Wenders' four-hour and forty-seven-minute cut of Until the End of the World, my wife is ready for a divorce.

I pulled the trigger on an inexpensive 4K/HDR Blu-Ray player (Best Buy still has quick delivery here; Amazon is delayed until the end of April) and got 2001, The Shining, Alien, Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now, none of which are likely to help my marriage.

On a related point, I have felt very little interest in listening to music or reading during this entire epidemic. Before the epidemic, I recreationally read 1,000+ pages of books per week. I've covered a whopping 47 pages of my current book since March 12. I don't know what explains this behavioral change, and I doubt I'm alone.
Maybe we've become more passive?

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Same here - my music room is separate from the house and I think I've just wanted to spend more time in the house with my family as the kids are home from university.

Been watching re-runs of Inspector Montalbano - we spent a wonderful two weeks in Montalbano country a couple of years ago. Stunning scenery, ate at Montalbano's favourite restaurants, got the car stuck down a street only wide enough for a donkey to pass (Satnav had done well up until then) and discovered some great beers. Travelled across that bridge in the opening sequence most days, but nothing prepared me for Scilian drivers!

Looks like another two episodes have just been finished so hoping the BBC carries them soon.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I , also , found "The Boys" offensive but it is realistic. Witnessing the behavior of so may in power, that of many of the superheros in "The Boys" is more likely than the agonizing angst of Marvel characters ...

I liked that one as well. I also enjoyed The Watchmen.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe it's just me. I've been very busy with work and taking care of my infant son. Perhaps it's just tiredness in the late evening.
I think the intrusion of state might well be causing some to be more passive overall than they would normally be.

But yes you may very well just be knackered lol.

Congratulations by the way

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom