• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread | Virology Journal | (2005)
https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69

"Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds."

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think something that is often forgotten is that all of these Covid-19 deaths are in addition to all the existing deaths everyone uses for comparison. I'm pretty sure people would not be any less upset if a Boeing 747 fully loaded with passengers crashed, killing 500, every day next week, in the US, for instance, even though many die from the flu every day as well.
It would be interesting to know the stats of life's saved by us staying at home , not from the virus but all the other causes of dealth we might avoid.

Then there's a possible baby boom , population explosion .

Not what humanity needs right now you'd think.

The effect this will have on our various national psyches going forward with possible long term behavioural changes as a result.

Putter

Forum Donor
Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread | Virology Journal | (2005)
https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69

"Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds."

A cell culture is not a human being and it is not the only compound found to inhibit viral growth in a cell culture. See this article which I previously referenced https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/03/2...uines-safer-cousin-make-coronavirus-cut-14663

Having said that it may be effective. It's obvious it's already being both used and studies simultaneously.

maty

Major Contributor
We have a joke here, says if you can read doctors' hand writing, you know you're in deep shit.

I'm sure this slogan is written by doctors and nurses all over the world

View attachment 56265View attachment 56266

But the reality is other, at least in Spain:

Casi el 90% de los españoles ha salido de casa en los últimos siete días
[Spanish] https://www.elespanol.com/espana/20200330/espanoles-salido-casa-ultimos-dias/478452570_0.html

Almost 90% of Spaniards have left home in the last seven days
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.elespanol.com/espana/20200330/espanoles-salido-casa-ultimos-dias/478452570_0.html

Coronavirus-Enfermedades_infecciosas-Infecciones-Estado_de_alarma-Espana-Espana_478463271_149337102_1706x960.jpg

Politica_478463272_149337134_640x360.jpg

Many go out just to buy a loaf of bread and, incidentally, have a coffee. Instead of buying sandwich bread that lasts for several days. The only one that comes out is me. The others, the balcony and the large terrace to walk and be in the sun.

Spanish society is still not very aware of the catastrophe that is coming. Sanitary and economic. There will be a before and an after. Unfortunately we have incompetent governments in Spain, as the charges for sectarian and mediocre charges of political parties are covered. The Minister of Health is only a philosopher, who has lived all his life from politics, with that everything is said. The best heads of the country flee from political practice.

Fortunately, the rest does work, but those responsible for the strategy are not up to the task and do not tell the population the hard truth.

digicidal

Major Contributor
More baffling reduction in hours for necessities here. I still fail to see the merits in further congesting stores, etc. Thankfully, people seem to be much more understanding (or maybe just wary) and give each other plenty of room... but still. At least they are introducing "senior hours" so the most at-risk demographic can avoid the rest of us.

I would totally understand it if they were doing a 6-hour decontamination after hours - or even stocking the shelves during that time... but no, they're just cutting everyone's hours. So their employees are even poorer, as well as being more at risk working in a public setting (and having to do stocking/etc. while shoppers try to avoid them and each other). :facepalm:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It may be a case of "Business Continuity Mitigation". Where firms put measures in place such that different shifts of staff do not overlap. So if someone from 1 shift is infected, it doesn't result in the complete shutdown of the business as those on the same shift will need quarantine.

Typically, stores like Costco need 2 shifts of people to operate its full 16 hours or so.

So instead of a full 2 shifts, it cuts the 2 shifts into 2 days of 8 hours each. This is to segregate the workforce if separate operations is not possible.

Its widely practiced in the finance related industries and bigger consultancy firms where they split the offices of each department into 2. On different locations if possible, at least different buildings.

QMuse

Major Contributor
It would be interesting to know the stats of life's saved by us staying at home , not from the virus but all the other causes of dealth we might avoid.

Then there's a possible baby boom , population explosion .

Then there's also possible obesity issues and excessive alcohol drinking. :D

digicidal

Major Contributor
It may be a case of "Business Continuity Mitigation". Where firms put measures in place such that different shifts of staff do not overlap. So if someone from 1 shift is infected, it doesn't result in the complete shutdown of the business as those on the same shift will need quarantine.

Typically, stores like Costco need 2 shifts of people to operate its full 16 hours or so.

So instead of a full 2 shifts, it cuts the 2 shifts into 2 days of 8 hours each. This is to segregate the workforce if separate operations is not possible.

Its widely practiced in the finance related industries and bigger consultancy firms where they split the offices of each department into 2. On different locations if possible, at least different buildings.

That makes some sense, although they were never operating for 16 hours (normal hours were 10a-8:30p) here - the problem is with the fact that they have consistently made horrible choices for everyone's safety throughout:
1) Kept the food court open... yep, I'm serious. It won't be open during their special "Senior Hours" but the rest of the time it will.
2) Made a "staging corral" where everyone has to congregate in order to get into the store - 20 at a time last I heard. The other 100+ people are all in a mass held in like a prison made of hundreds of shopping carts in a wall.
3) Pulled much of their foods from the website (now only in the warehouse) - although there's still plenty of Wagyu beef sets... so I guess we're gonna be eating some amazing steaks!

I could go on, but why. These decisions may (and I'm far from convinced) help protect staff from infecting other staff... but it does nothing to prevent the public from infecting the staff (and each other). But I'm sure their stock price is going up with some big posted gains in the future, so at least that part of the economy is saved. :rolleyes: About 5 years ago the grocery stores stopped being open 24hours (crime increase due to all the Californians moving here)... those were the days... now that we need less exposure and lower densities - 10 hours is all ya get.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
More baffling reduction in hours for necessities here. I still fail to see the merits in further congesting stores, etc. Thankfully, people seem to be much more understanding (or maybe just wary) and give each other plenty of room... but still. At least they are introducing "senior hours" so the most at-risk demographic can avoid the rest of us.

I would totally understand it if they were doing a 6-hour decontamination after hours - or even stocking the shelves during that time... but no, they're just cutting everyone's hours. So their employees are even poorer, as well as being more at risk working in a public setting (and having to do stocking/etc. while shoppers try to avoid them and each other). :facepalm:
I live downtown next to my 24 hour store and they have changed the hours to 8-8. Thr store is jam packed and it’s impossible to maintain 6 foot distance between others when it’s that busy. They should keep it open 24/7 and only let 50 people in at a time using two security guards. I’m trying not to go to the store more than once every two weeks but if I’m going to get sick I think It’s going to actually happen because of others stupidity.

maty

Major Contributor
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-30/ultima-hora-y-noticias-del-coronavirus-en-directo.html

[ The daily death toll with coronavirus falls slightly in Spain: 812 in the last 24 hours, an increase of 8% compared to Sunday, when 838 were recorded, according to the Ministry of Health.

Spain accumulates 7,340 deaths and 85,195 infected, which exceeds China in the number of infected, with almost 4,000 more people. Almost 17,000 patients have already recovered and 47,000 have been hospitalized (more than 5,200 in the ICU)... ]

New Infected: 6,398 / (85,195 - 6,398) -> 8.08%

The infection rate is slowly going down from 9% to 8%. It would have to go down more every day. Hence the need to increase containment measures.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This looks like a good way to go forward... Germans...imagine that. They are getting a lot right it seems.

https://www.newsweek.com/germany-antibodies-tests-general-public-immunity-certificates-1494934

German researchers are planning to introduce coronavirus "immunity certificates" to indicate who has recovered from the virus and is ready to re-enter society.

The documents are part of a research project being conducted at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research in Braunschweig, which will conduct blood tests among the general public for antibodies produced against the virus.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was Oxford behind that? I thought they'd be less likely to be dismissed so easily...
No, the government and their advisers were behind it but changed when the likely result of their strategy was critiscised by an Imperial College Medical School report which was linked upthread.
All the studies showed the idea of herd immunity by letting people catch the disease was pretty stupid but it suited some politician's agenda so looked good to them...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is it that this chart and 600,000 deaths per year are not as terrifying as CV19?

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

I suspect it is because CV19 brings with it a fear of the unknown and we are bombarded with fear evoking headlines.
Because the heart disease deaths don't all happen at once, aren't contagious and won't completely swamp ICUs everywhere?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet with the media clearly pointing how contagious it is... and the benefits of isolating and distance... many seem to either not worried or ignoring... why?
Half the population-1 (by definition) have below average intelligence?
Also the "Death of Expertise" means some nut-jobs are more likely to believe internet bollox they want to be true than the advice from expert analysis. There are a lot of them about.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Half the population-1 (by definition) have below average intelligence?

And, like intelligence, there are different kinds of smart out there. Plenty of smart people can get in over their heads once they get out of their lane, thinking their lane is bigger than it is.

https://amp.theguardian.com/austral...ck-up-nose-while-inventing-coronavirus-device

'Inventing coronavirus device' could audio have been 'smart guy killing time,' but I thought it was pretty funny.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the government and their advisers were behind it but changed when the likely result of their strategy was critiscised by an Imperial College Medical School report which was linked upthread.
All the studies showed the idea of herd immunity by letting people catch the disease was pretty stupid but it suited some politician's agenda so looked good to them...
My understanding was that it was the Imperial model that said herd immunity was OK, then 2 days later after they changed the model it wasn't. They claimed the science changed in 2 days, like you I don't think that's the real reason. I'd love to see the original version published.

This is the paper.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
It's well worth a read, even if lots of it's assumptions turn out to be way out it shows the thinking, and how things might play out. It shows projections for the UK and the US BTW.

raif71

Major Contributor
This looks like a good way to go forward... Germans...imagine that. They are getting a lot right it seems.

https://www.newsweek.com/germany-antibodies-tests-general-public-immunity-certificates-1494934

Wunderbar!! Hopefully it'll be successful and that others can follow although I've heard that some people that have recovered can get reinfected back. The immunity tests that they talked about hopefully can confirm that those that recovered indeed have some natural protection against covid-19

Thomas H

Thanks for pointing toward this study. A little embarrassing to find this information on an international forum as a ...German ... Looks I need to look into our own newspapers more frequently as opposed to gathering the majority of the information from here. A grain of salt though: for the start (and with very limited information from the Helmholtz Institute here) that looks more like a study for gathering information regarding the true extent of the epidemic, which would be very useful information anyway. Will keep an eye on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom