• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

beanxinh

Does anyone has the impedance of 2.5mm port. I can only find the approximateiimpedance of the SE ports. Thanks.

beanxinh

I don't know the value of the output impedance of the 2.5 mm port, but since it is balanced its output impedance should be double of what the output impedance of the SE ports is.
Is it safe to assume that, does it depend on the inner circuitry of the amp? Because with the Zishan DSD the SE have a very high output impedance due to the buffer stage (not sure about that since I'm not very familiar with the electronic of an Amp just read that up in the Headfi forum a while back) while the Balanced output din't have that so the output impedance is much lower.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is it safe to assume that, does it depend on the inner circuitry of the amp? Because with the Zishan DSD the SE have a very high output impedance due to the buffer stage (not sure about that since I'm not very familiar with the electronic of an Amp just read that up in the Headfi forum a while back) while the Balanced output din't have that so the output impedance is much lower.
The 4.7 ohm was added resistor for current limiting. It's added on both branches.
Wait for the new coming A50s, lower than 0.1Ohm output impedance. Also the L30 if you don't need balanced out.

beanxinh

The 4.7 ohm was added resistor for current limiting. It's added on both branches.
Wait for the new coming A50s, lower than 0.1Ohm output impedance. Also the L30 if you don't need balanced out.
Thank. Do you know when will it coming?

will.b

Forum Donor

Will there be any compelling reasons to upgrade to the A50s from the A50?
P.S. Great job with the A90

kkeretic

The more I listen the D50s/D70+A50 with my Sennheiser HD599, AKG K712 and AKG K550, the more I can't stand the sound. And I have even purchased another A50 for my second setup :facepalm:. The problem is, whenever I switch back to my old Asus Xonar ST soundcard with AD797BRZ opamps in I/V section, I'm always surprised and shocked how the sound from this soundcard is actually more enjoyable in every sense than the sound of A50. I've also tried the A50 connected to the Xonar ST RCA output, but the A50 still can't entertain me in the way the soundcard is doing from its headphone output. Bass depth and the preasure the soundcard makes in my head is simply stunning. A concert. In one of my previous posts I wrote that A50 is probably my endgame. But whenever I return to this damn Xonar ST, the more unhappy I become with A50. I need seriously better/different headphone amp. Well, I am not much into measurements, and I believe output impedance of the soundcard (~10 Ohm) may not be ideal for my headphones, but the sound it makes is just fantastic to my ears, so entertaining. I cannot feel the same with A50 no matter how hard I try. The DACs sound wonderful with my solid state amp and speakers, but A50 is simply not in the same league with the soundcard, at least not for my ears. I would appreciate any advice/suggestion for some further headphone amp steps.

Peib

The more I listen the D50s/D70+A50 with my Sennheiser HD599, AKG K712 and AKG K550, the more I can't stand the sound. And I have even purchased another A50 for my second setup :facepalm:. The problem is, whenever I switch back to my old Asus Xonar ST soundcard with AD797BRZ opamps in I/V section, I'm always surprised and shocked how the sound from this soundcard is actually more enjoyable in every sense than the sound of A50. I've also tried the A50 connected to the Xonar ST RCA output, but the A50 still can't entertain me in the way the soundcard is doing from its headphone output. Bass depth and the preasure the soundcard makes in my head is simply stunning. A concert. In one of my previous posts I wrote that A50 is probably my endgame. But whenever I return to this damn Xonar ST, the more unhappy I become with A50. I need seriously better/different headphone amp. Well, I am not much into measurements, and I believe output impedance of the soundcard (~10 Ohm) may not be ideal for my headphones, but the sound it makes is just fantastic to my ears, so entertaining. I cannot feel the same with A50 no matter how hard I try. The DACs sound wonderful with my solid state amp and speakers, but A50 is simply not in the same league with the soundcard, at least not for my ears. I would appreciate any advice/suggestion for some further headphone amp steps.

i didnt buy it, and now im happy reading that.

i hope they do better with the next a50s, if its true they are working on it, or in a90

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
i didnt buy it, and now im happy reading that.

i hope they do better with the next a50s, if its true they are working on it, or in a90
L30 A50s A90 are all done in design. A50s would probably come out a little bit earlier than L30.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How will be it compared the a50s ? Above or below?

Thanks for answer that fast
A50s pairs with D50s with RCA input, 6.35mm and 4.4mm true differential balanced output. The performance is also extremely good. L30 has more power in 6.35mm out, A50s' 4.4mm output has even more power but less than A90.

Veri

Master Contributor
How will be it compared the a50s ? Above or below?
A50s will be just like A50 but better. But @JohnYang1997 didn't design it, or did you John? Looking forward to L30 and D90 on the market :)
PS is pa9 also still in the pipeline? Where does it fit in all that? :)

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
A50s will be just like A50 but better. But @JohnYang1997 didn't design it, right John? Looking forward to L30 and D90 on the market :)
PS is pa9 also still in the pipeline? Where does it fit in all that? :)
A50s also uses my circuit (another one). And I has been co-designing along.
Pa9 is changed to pa5. As we would like to push out a medium power desktop amp first before going to crazy. Distortion is aiming to be -130dB below, loaded.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
The more I listen the D50s/D70+A50 with my Sennheiser HD599, AKG K712 and AKG K550, the more I can't stand the sound.

This might be a headphone issue. I also have the AKG712 but prefer the Senn HD650 for music listening. I’m using D50 for DAC and Geshelli Archel2. I’ve tried other Senns and decided on the HD650 (I hated HD800 for its brightness).

Top Bottom