• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M22 Speaker Review

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What does the Flush Mounted setting do, less bass due to more boundary gain, or something do do with the baffle step?

Yes the former. In my use, most of the time these speakers are very close to the wall for movies/video gaming and I'll have the flush mount engaged. For serious listening sessions, I'll pull them out away from the wall and turn off the flush mount.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies if that has already been answered before, but is that line eyeballed and drawn or is there some kind of standard estimator for that fit?
Amir eye-balls it; my Smoothness graphs show the mathematical linear regression line (well, logarithmic regression due to the log scale).

tuga

Major Contributor
Well, you really have to squint to see any flaws. On-axis response is quite flat as it should be. And directivity (difference between direct sound coming at you and those reflected) is quite good as well. There is a dip in low frequencies and when combined with the peaking at higher ones, it may make the speaker sound light.

Predicted in-room response tells you that depending on where you draw the linear prediction line:

index.php

Tweeter is shelved up by some 5dB, preceeded by a BBC-style dip.
That's very LS50:

index.php

D

Deleted member 9286

Where can you buy them for for 999 a pair? (M106? maybe you are seeing the M16 price)I can't believe that. Revel is a price controlled company. The Uk price is 1999 a pair. USa price is $1999 USD which is cheaper than the UK by a bit. Nobody can advertise lower.
Yes whole sale is much lower but still, very pricey just to test.

They can be bought at authorised dealers for £999 a pair. You don’t have to believe me.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The measurements very clearly show the widening of dispersion in the low/mid treble area (as the tweeter takes over from the mid-woofer) so typical for traditional speakers without waveguides. It's not terrible for what it is but certainly obvious. Drivers seem to perform well though, as you might also expect given the price point. So somewhat outdated but good quality.

D

Deleted member 9286

I can get it at a good price but it is still not free. :) What would be the justification to buy that relative to F206?

No justification on my part, I had just seen a few requests for them to be tested and being another bookshelf, thought it would make a good comparison to some of your recent reviews. It gives a good indication of what one can expect as they move through the product range.

Not related to whether you review it or not, but you heard them and thought they were good didn’t you?

Even at £1999 a pair, I would consider them good value, personally.

tktran303

Forum Donor
In case I missed it,
Did you measure it with the tweeter level and boundary compensation knobs adjusted to yield best predicted in room response (my guess is tweeter @ -1)

tktran303

Forum Donor
He stated he tested them as shown in the photo. He adjusted it to taste while listening.
So what was the “best” setting?
And how did that measure?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is eyeballed. :) I spent an hour once trying to learn the math language in Klippel to do it automatically but it went past my patience level.
There should probably be a "least squares" linear regression algorithm with Klippel for the money you paid for it. Should be user friendly too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There should probably be a "least squares" linear regression algorithm with Klippel for the money you paid for it. Should be user friendly too.
I am collecting a set of feature requests and that is one of them.

AudioTodd

Good stuff! It seems revel was flat on axis at this time a bit more than smooth PIR based on how the news models measure, but still a very good speaker. Directivity is still pretty good and quite wide, being a no waveguide design.
Hey I was out of the high end - or any - audio market for about a decade (with a pile of unread magazines to prove it) so I did not see this “wave guide” revolution happening. My first reaction to seeing these speakers was to think they would have all of the annoyances of horns like my buddies’ beloved Klipsch models that made my ears bleed. Now that I’m back, I’m very interested, especially since they seem to be everywhere in the most state of the art speaker lines. Are there objective measurement-based comparisons between speakers that have wave guides and otherwise as equivalent as possible speakers without them so we can see their effects? Sorry if this is off topic but I’m very interested.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Hey I was out of the high end - or any - audio market for about a decade (with a pile of unread magazines to prove it) so I did not see this “wave guide” revolution happening. My first reaction to seeing these speakers was to think they would have all of the annoyances of horns like my buddies’ beloved Klipsch models that made my ears bleed. Now that I’m back, I’m very interested, especially since they seem to be everywhere in the most state of the art speaker lines. Are there objective measurement-based comparisons between speakers that have wave guides and otherwise as equivalent as possible speakers without them so we can see their effects? Sorry if this is off topic but I’m very interested.

M22 verse M16 is good example to see the effect in objective number for that wave guide, lookup how smoothness in directivity index curve improve for M16 over M22 and the smoother lobe in horizontal polar map tells the same story, in lower spins i EQed them flat on axis in audio band because think having one steady flat curve relative the other curves makes the eye bit happier to stare out tendencies, technically it should be good to know that directivity index curve is a divide calculated as the difference between listening window and power response.

AudioTodd.png

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
M22 verse M16 is good example to see the effect in objective number for that wave guide, lookup how smoothness in directivity index curve improve for M16 over M22 and the smoother lobe in horizontal polar map tells the same story, in lower spins i EQed them flat on axis in audio band because think having one steady flat curve relative the other curves makes the eye bit happier to stare out tendencies, technically it should be good to know that directivity index curve is a divide calculated as the difference between listening window and power response.

View attachment 56105[/Q

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
It is but I am a bit dubious about the value of expensive bookshelf speakers.
Fascinating. Even if mated with sub and properly integrated with Dirac or Anthem? Is it dynamics of more woofers, better upper upper bass response or both. Or other reasons?

Top Bottom