• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reviewer's Music

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As you all know, hardware reviews invariably have references to music used during the evaluation. I think sometimes they are empty references meant to put meat on the review bone in absence and to show off one's musical knowledge. :) But still, I find quite a few gems in scanning the reviews for music.

So I thought I create a thread and have everyone contribute. Let's put a link to the review page and if you can, a youtube of the specific track. If not, just cut and paste the album/artist/track and I will do it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Colin post this review of his amplifier with this mention:

"I began with a vocal-heavy piece from Stevie Wonder and the almost melancholic yet lyrically beautiful and quietly impassioned song, Love’s in Need of Love Today from the superb double album, Songs in the Key of Life. This track is an extended piece backed by a gospel choir with plenty of subtle secondary percussion and effects."

Sounds pretty average to me. Nothing I would use for demo/review material.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
http://www.stereotimes.com/post/kemp-elektroniks-maxiimus-p16-shunt-conditioner/

"I had a sneaky suspicion that the effects of the P16s might develop gradually and require patience to appreciate. So I went about my day, returned about six hours later, and once again dialed up some of my favorite tunes on my redoubtable Laufer Teknik Memory Player. Sure enough, Sunny from Frank Sinatra's and Duke Ellington's classic 1968 collaboration "Francis A & Edward K" sounded cleaner, more crystal-clear and quieter than I ever heard before. "

This is exceptionally nice sounding for a 1967 recording. It has extreme channel separation of the era but still, pretty delightful.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, the reviewer says this about this odd device (P16):

"This decent recording was transformed by the P16 into sounding more like arecent recording! Somehow, the 1968 date stamp was miraculously modernized (albeit not completely). The ability of the P16 to add extra levels of dimensionality, x-ray-like transparency, ease, and natural fluidity with a razor-sharp focus, was nothing short of mindboggling."

All of this is true in my system without the "KEMP MAXIMUS P16 SHUNT CONDITIONER!" If he needed this alien product to get such results, he is in dire need of some psychic reading next!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Having no luck finding these tracks in Tidal:

"Primed for the session, CP ran through a couple of incidental songs as we settled in. After a few tunes, as Ahmad Jamal’s ‘Morning Mist’ played, I noticed what seemed to be added resolution, detail and nuance coming from arenewed soundstage that appeared far deeper and beyond the usual. I chalked this up to late night better power. Jamal’s piano work was strong, forceful and appeared possessed with a rhythmic power that was brilliantly rendered. The sax on Marc Cary’s When I think Of You was huge and commanded my complete attention."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Al Jarreau’s We Got By, a track I’ve heard often, appeared unlike any previous listen. There was more air around each instrument, with snappier transients, while Jarreau’s voice had greater body and breadth in both tone and texture."

Average recording. But it has the "body and breadth" in it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Even highly commercial recordings, like Michael Jackson’s The Lady In My Life from “Thriller” had more life and density"

Another average recording. Maybe I need a P16 or even P17!

fas42

Major Contributor
In the spirit of this thread, I know Gary Koh of Genesis loudspeakers is keen on the following track, as a show off piece for his gear. I know why he likes it - I've heard it done miserably at a hifi show; but if it comes off, it will be very impressive ...

astr0b0y

Keep 'em coming! I was going to make a playlist of your highly rated test tracks from CES but then, forum search got me down.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Mike Lavigne visited David (ddk)''s home and posted these tracks and impressions: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...o-the-ddk-flow&p=436888&viewfull=1#post436888

"Micro; here is a list of some of the Lps David played for me, from my memory;

LSP-2566, The Incredible Carlos Montoya......this one was particularly magical on the AS with the articulation of the guitar.

Miles Davis, Four & More, recorded live, Columbia......played all of side one at over 100db. David's system held together without an issue. Miles's trumpet was super explosive and delicate at the same time. those speakers really cook.

Fitzgerald & Pass......again, Pablo.....sumptuous vocals.

Frank Sinatra's Greatest, 'Come Fly With Me' and one other cut......super smooth and perfect pitch.

Special 50th Anniversary Sampler, Blue Note, side one, last track, Bobby McFerren

can't recall the exact Lp of the Debussy piece.....but he played that on three of the tt's.

and.......Rostropovitch, Richter; Beethoven Sonatas for Piano and Cello, Philips Box Set 835-182/183.......which I'm playing right now in my system. one of the great recordings, by 2 of the greats."

I managed to find most of these in digital. Currently listening to and evaluating the last one:

upload_2017-2-18_11-42-9.png

This is a noisy recording and surprisingly so for a 1994 release. It has a combination of hiss and buzz which is distracting during quiet periods. Not sure if the original master was analog or digital. It is also recorded at very low level causing me to raise the volume high which exacerbates this issue.

Outside of that, it is a very nice performance with lots of dynamics. The piano and cello are both highly "alive" and very nice dynamics and warmth. I can see why it would be used as demo material although it won't make my list due to excessive noise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can't find the Blue Note Anniversary edition in digital that has Bobby McFerrin's track. But found the same track in one of his own albums:

upload_2017-2-18_11-46-22.png

Fidelity in a word is Wow! Exceptional fidelity. Lots of ambience and clarity to die for. Reference and demo quality music.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
upload_2017-2-18_11-57-30.png

This one comes in both mono and stereo. I streamed both and the stereo one has pretty odd distortions. Sinatra's voice sounds so much more natural in the mono version. Stereo also has exaggerated separation which is distracting.

Fidelity considering the age is top notch. The instruments are not at the same quality as Sinatra's voice however (they sound somewhat strained).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
upload_2017-2-18_12-6-11.png

Mike complained about david playing it too loud. But I think David was on the right track. It has to be played loud! Otherwise it sounds pretty strained. Imagine it is a good match for David's horns.

For me it falls short of reference quality. The limitations of the old recording are ever present.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was looking for a Teac DAC review and remembered that Archmiago had one so searched for his review and found this: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/initial-impressions-teac-ud-501-usb-dac.html

"On the Kodo track "Niji No Nagori" off the Tsutsumi (2000) album, there's a nice build up of multi-layered drums, flute, vocals, culminating in a woman singing with clapping, percussion, and male backgrounds around 5:00. The drums sounded dynamic and "full". Bass went deep with the HD800; and thanks to the "speed" of these HD800's, it sounded precise. Again, excellent performance and I would certainly rate this DAC+headphone amp highly."
upload_2017-2-18_12-44-15.png

I can see why he likes this album/track but alas, it is a story of what it could have been. The drums are poorly recorded and have little of the dynamics they could have had. Some tracks are worse than others (e.g. title track). Overall it is "good" but not great. I did hear everything he is saying but just not on my list of recommended tracks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

fas42

Major Contributor
Here's a review of equipment that breaks a lot of the rules by which people on this forum live by, http://www.stereophile.com/content/wavac-sh-833-monoblock-power-amplifier-page-2. But the track used, by the Mamas and the Papas, and the description of the rendition of the flute says why people live with these gear.

The tracks by this group can be almost unbearable to listen to, depending on the state of the system - a result of when and the way they were recorded.

Top Bottom