• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Toku

Major Contributor
Nope, just looking for a sound upgrade
I think it is very difficult to confirm that.

In ASR, electrical measurements are made in detail and numerical values are used to express superiority, but those numerical values are already far beyond the level at which humans can perceive differences. So maybe I can't find the difference in sound quality between Topping E30 and D90.

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I think it is very difficult to confirm that.

In ASR, electrical measurements are made in detail and numerical values are used to express superiority, but those numerical values are already far beyond the level at which humans can perceive differences. So maybe I can't find the difference in sound quality between Topping E30 and D90.
It's very interesting. I was actually considering the D90 and the Denafrips Ares II, they are both about the same price. I see many reviews raving about how great the Denafrips 'sounds', yet the D90 technically tests a little better. Frustrating!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I see many reviews raving about how great the Denafrips 'sounds',

If you'll notice, those 'reviews' will almost never have any listening controls implemented to make the sound comparisons valid. If those reviewers had to do an actual level matched DBT, the differences they are so sure of would almost certainly disappear.

Ignoring psychoacoustics and bias, people are free to make whatever claims they like...

Buy a competent DAC based on features and price...transparent 'sound' should be a given.

Veri

Master Contributor
It's very interesting. I was actually considering the D90 and the Denafrips Ares II, they are both about the same price. I see many reviews raving about how great the Denafrips 'sounds', yet the D90 technically tests a little better. Frustrating!
Ares has a 'NOS' mode which rolls off high frequencies some. But default is the OS (oversampling) mode, which should perform similar to a DAC like the D90, where they should be indistinguishable from each other. Buy what's cheapest or what you like the looks of, if features are otherwise the same.

Marcel

I am thinking of getting this one instead of D50s which was top of my shortlist. This will be hooked up to the Atom amp for a small desktop package. Anyone else (planning on) using this combo?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am thinking of getting this one instead of D50s which was top of my shortlist. This will be hooked up to the Atom amp for a small desktop package. Anyone else (planning on) using this combo?
There's a new headphone amp model L30 that's coming soon which pairs with E30 very well.

Toku

Major Contributor
Toku,
interestingly, the difference in the sound of the AKM and ESS DACs (for example, dx3 and D50) do you hear?
Currently my ears cannot detect the difference between DX3Pro and D50 D50s. However, there is a slight difference between these devices and the M500.
It's like comparing a photo taken with an iPhone to a photo taken with a single-lens reflex digital camera. Both look beautiful, but there are differences.

Currently I am 68 years old and I can only hear treble up to 13.5kHz. In the past, a large Japanese electronics company designed audio and video equipment for TV broadcasters. Therefore, you can distinguish slight differences in sound. However, the points I check are different from those checked by audiophiles. I always refer to the measured values of ASR and compare them as electronic devices.

UAN

Currently my ears cannot detect the difference between DX3Pro and D50 D50s. However, there is a slight difference between these devices and the M500.
It's like comparing a photo taken with an iPhone to a photo taken with a single-lens reflex digital camera. Both look beautiful, but there are differences.

Currently I am 68 years old and I can only hear treble up to 13.5kHz. In the past, a large Japanese electronics company designed audio and video equipment for TV broadcasters. Therefore, you can distinguish slight differences in sound. However, the points I check are different from those checked by audiophiles. I always refer to the measured values of ASR and compare them as electronic devices.

Hello !
Thanks for your feedback. I am also 68 years old:). In my opinion, the sound of the D50 and dx3 is different. The music on the D50 sounds softer and completely tireless. + It’s good to listen as a background, doing household chores.
On dx3, small details are more noticeable, the sound is more dynamic, lively and emotional. The feeling of being in the concert hall and it is a bit tiring. I think the dx3 sound is more realistic.
Of course, my conclusions are subjective IMHO.

I am an electronic engineer and first of all I look at the objective parameters and measure on my own. But often, the sound of a device with remarkable parameters is inferior to competitors.

Last edited:

manudrz

Hello, I'm new here. Thanks for your work, I'd like to know if someone has a picture of this PCB?
I'd like to connect this DAC on i2s from a DSP, just 5-6 cm away, doable but need to solder/plug cables...

muths66

Anyone know e30 dc is 5v but what ampere is safe. i found some have 5v1a/2a/3a.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello, I'm new here. Thanks for your work, I'd like to know if someone has a picture of this PCB?
Topping mentioned that the display is glued to the front glass so it is very hard to take it apart.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It runs within the limits of USB 2.0 which is 0.5 amps. So any of those options should work fine (more amps is not a problem).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi, is it worth the extra 40$ (in my country) compared to the D10 ?
I think so. You get a lot more features such as remote which I really like to have in any DAC.

AndyLu

Forum Donor

You can download the pdf manual for the e30 from the Topping site.
I found this in the e30 manual, but as Amir already said, more amps should not be a problem:

1585337486804.png

manudrz

Find that on Audiophonics :
The device is very energy efficient, it can be powered directly via its USB port. There is also a DC jack socket ideal for connecting the E30 to a LPSU type Hi-Fi power supply (regulated linear power supply). It is therefore quite possible and very easy to power it on battery.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/dac-...usb-32bit768khz-dsd512-xmos-noir-p-14486.html

So would it means 500mA ? Andylu, can you post your link ? I can't find that pdf... I have an unused LT3045 at home and it would be cool if it's sufficient :D Thanks

jannek

According to the Topping Service the E30 has internal noise rejection and any DC source with a ripple lower than 100mV is sufficient. So don't spend too much money on a power source. I will use an old (but genuine) 10w Apple iPad Charger or maybe the Meanwell wallwart lying around... 50mV pP, 5V, 4A and a proper cost relation to the DAC.

Top Bottom