• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

mslim

E30 + SP200

I believe I am done with "source to headphone" delivery equipment .... that is until I have LA-QXD1 in hand .....

Yes. That kind of design is kinda dead end. Appreciate the pre-out flexibility.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The E30 is out.
Wonder how far away the L30 is and specs around it. I hope the L30 will have a pre-out/line out to drive my desktop speakers as well as headphone amp. Doubt there will be an output selector at this price but looking forward to this stack as it fits my price range and form factor.
Do you prefer a switch of preamp and headphone amp OR a automatic switch when you insert headphones and unplug the headphones like Atom?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What's the price difference? And why exclude BOTH from the question?
The first way is going to be a little more expensive with extra relays. But price difference is not the main problem. The complexity is going to increase with first implementation as well. Why not both, well, you can't make physical switch move by itself when you unplug the headphone so it's not realistic to have both. It's possible if microcontroller is used and no physical switches are used. But that's not the implementation we chose. I'm still leaning towards the second way because that's what's been done by others as well and praised by a lot of people and while saving a relay and extra control circuits for preamp output. Unplugging headphone to activate the preamp output is not too big of an issue to me at least. Higher end model A90 has the physical switch for switching the two because we don't have 4pin XLR jack that has sensing mechanics.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Does the term "power amp" mean that there is no built-in attenuator?
Traditionally for domestic use that's correct. More recently amps with a single input and volume control have become more common, and may be described as a 'power amp'. Pro audio power amps often have separate attenuators for each channel.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The first way is going to be a little more expensive with extra relays. But price difference is not the main problem. The complexity is going to increase with first implementation as well. Why not both, well, you can't make physical switch move by itself when you unplug the headphone so it's not realistic to have both. It's possible if microcontroller is used and no physical switches are used. But that's not the implementation we chose. I'm still leaning towards the second way because that's what's been done by others as well and praised by a lot of people and while saving a relay and extra control circuits for preamp output. Unplugging headphone to activate the preamp output is not too big of an issue to me at least. Higher end model A90 has the physical switch for switching the two because we don't have 4pin XLR jack that has sensing mechanics.
In that case keep it simple - you're leaning that way anyway. If you'd already had the relays or FETs in there (muting, switching, protection etc.) it might have been another story.

Yuno

Do you prefer a switch of preamp and headphone amp OR a automatic switch when you insert headphones and unplug the headphones like Atom?
I'm going to give my input as well, although the question was not directed at me. Definitely first option. For starters, I don't think we (as in, consumers) need another amp that functions like Atom does, there is plenty of those on the market already, including Atom itself. There is very few devices, especially in budget category, that have output selector switch with preamp for speakers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm going to give my input as well, although the question was not directed at me. Definitely first option. For starters, I don't think we (as in, consumers) need another amp that functions like Atom does, there is plenty of those on the market already, including Atom itself. There is very few devices, especially in budget category, that have output selector switch with preamp for speakers.
I agree, yet this is to prove we can get better than THX performance for cheap price. L30 will destroy Atom in performance and have proper protection circuit. Oh and a beautiful enclosure and front panel.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do you have other functionality you wanted?

Veri

Master Contributor
I agree, yet this is to prove we can get better than THX performance for cheap price. L30 will destroy Atom in performance and have proper protection circuit. Oh and a beautiful enclosure and front panel.
Nice. A90 better still, right? Will L30 have pre-amp function like Atom? :)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Don't need automatic switching. Manual switching is more reliable. I actually prefer switching manually like on old receivers where you can use both speakers and headphones at the same time.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Nice. A90 better still, right? Will L30 have pre-amp function like Atom? :)
A90 has both balanced input and outputs. L30 is RCA input and 6.35mm output. A50s is RCA input with 6.35mm and 4.4mm balanced out. L30 is essentially the unbalanced and smaller version of A90. A50s is a less powerful circuitry but still has a lot of power with balanced out. L30 has same preamp function as Atom. All have extremely low noise and extremely good 50mV SNR performance

Yuno

Do you have other functionality you wanted?
Gain switch, and I think that's it. Honestly, if it's just budget version of A90 with a bit lower performance but the same functionality (except less inputs and outputs, no balanced) then it will be killer amp. Just good performance, low impedance output and hopefully good reliability.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Gain switch, and I think that's it. Honestly, if it's just budget version of A90 with a bit lower performance but the same functionality (except less inputs and outputs, no balanced) then it will be killer amp. Just good performance, low impedance output and hopefully good reliability.
+9dB 0dB and -9dB for IEM as well as a very good volume pot.

mslim

I can accept that reasoning. A more common method as you say. Perhaps better to keep this more "luxury" feature for the high end model. Proceed as you see fit.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I can accept that reasoning. A more common method as you say. Perhaps better to keep this more "luxury" feature for the high end model. Proceed as you see fit.
Thank you for sharing.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A90 has both balanced input and outputs. L30 is RCA input and 6.35mm output. A50s is RCA input with 6.35mm and 4.4mm balanced out. L30 is essentially the unbalanced and smaller version of A90. A50s is a less powerful circuitry but still has a lot of power with balanced out. L30 has same preamp function as Atom. All have extremely low noise and extremely good 50mV SNR performance
Would love to see an integrated amp based on D90, A90 and NCore MP modules. That would be destroyer. :)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Seems there is no power supply included? @JohnYang1997 how much power does it need? Can you power it over USB and use SPDIF? Not sure if I have a 5V power supply laying around, but I have plenty of USB chargers.

Top Bottom