• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Equipment pass-around?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So, Many of us have a range of audio equipment that we either aren't using at the moment, or we just aren't using at all with no plans to use it again in the short to medium term, but have no plans to sell.

Would there be any interest in creating a database of sorts, with the equipment that is willing to be loaned out to other members for evaluation? Maybe it could be regionally based, so people can minimize shipping costs, etc...but I'd be happy to make a list of things for others to use in their own systems for as long as they want, ranging from an old Dragonfly Red, to a Topping DAC or two...and if someone wants to come get them, they can try out something I might not want to ship, like older speakers or an unusually heavy amp.

I know I have three phono-preamps out there that when they are done with wherever they are, I'd be happy for them to go on to whoever might want to try them, and keep on sending around until I might want them back, or they get lost/broken/stolen/whatever.

Anyway, I saw a question about phono-preamps, and thought that's exactly the kind of thing that this could work well for, given the crazy range of what people are starting with in terms of TT's...

Just tossing it out there, because I'm taking a break from every other kind of tossing I've been doing lately...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, Many of us have a range of audio equipment that we either aren't using at the moment, or we just aren't using at all with no plans to use it again in the short to medium term, but have no plans to sell.

Would there be any interest in creating a database of sorts, with the equipment that is willing to be loaned out to other members for evaluation? Maybe it could be regionally based, so people can minimize shipping costs, etc...but I'd be happy to make a list of things for others to use in their own systems for as long as they want, ranging from an old Dragonfly Red, to a Topping DAC or two...and if someone wants to come get them, they can try out something I might not want to ship, like older speakers or an unusually heavy amp.
Nice idea. I would also chip in a few parts.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

I know I have three phono-preamps out there that when they are done with wherever they are, I'd be happy for them to go on to whoever might want to try them, and keep on sending around until I might want them back, or they get lost/broken/stolen/whatever.

Anyway, I saw a question about phono-preamps, and thought that's exactly the kind of thing that this could work well for, given the crazy range of what people are starting with in terms of TT's...

Just tossing it out there, because I'm taking a break from every other kind of tossing I've been doing lately...
YES ! We should have a free ads section.

It's just a shame we are so international in that sense. Postage is a pain.

Iv given a few bits ( some very nice ) away for free on domestic platforms. I must admit partly because I hate selling stuff

'Come and get it ' is a lot less ball ache.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Right now I have a DAC with great connectivity and maybe great performance for its day that I'd "pass around" on a "no backs" basis. That is I don't want to see it again! As I don't like to sell for more than what a pawn shop would offer, this sounds like a great idea. I also have two pair of bookshelf speakers that would qualify as well. This would also help with electronics recycling. Or, has that been stated?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Come to think of it this would the best form of electronics "recycling".

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So, in addition
Right now I have a DAC with great connectivity and maybe great performance for its day that I'd "pass around" on a "no backs" basis. That is I don't want to see it again! As I don't like to sell for more than what a pawn shop would offer...

Exactly...

Might be a lot of noob's who could have a nice transparent and relatively cheap d50s shipped with a volt meter that could do some level matched tests against whatever they are agonizing about upgrading from...then on to the next...etc...

Prana Ferox

BD, obviously social distancing is a reality right now, but there's probably quite a few of us in the DC metro / Mid-Atlantic corridor. Once we can speak to humans again, I'd be happy to let someone borrow some of my DIY-kit speakers to see what they think, or bring them somewhere for a listen. Shipping speakers is a hassle and my small apartment / science lab isn't the best spot to invite people over for a critical audition.

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
BD, obviously social distancing is a reality right now, but there's probably quite a few of us in the DC metro / Mid-Atlantic corridor. Once we can speak to humans again, I'd be happy to let someone borrow some of my DIY-kit speakers to see what they think, or bring them somewhere for a listen. Shipping speakers is a hassle and my small apartment / science lab isn't the best spot to invite people over for a critical audition.

I would also be happy to host that type of thing... Working on my listening areas, but if people want to bring stuff for a comparison day or to listen to whatever I've got, I'd be up for that...

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
YES ! We should have a free ads section.

It's just a shame we are so international in that sense. Postage is a pain.

Iv given a few bits ( some very nice ) away for free on domestic platforms. I must admit partly because I hate selling stuff

'Come and get it ' is a lot less ball ache.

I'd much rather most of it go to someone who could use it rather than sitting in my drawer, or find someone with something maybe interested in a trade for something similar...

So, buy/sell/trade/borrow?

Plenty of stuff I'd like to try, but that's how I've got all the shit I have!

Top Bottom