• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are they any bandwidth implications if the gain of the input buffer is changed as described above?
I have no time to pursue it now, but it might reduce stability in the buffer stage, if the gain is "too" low (though I suspect not in this case). Others might be able to advise...

Last edited:

tmortimer

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Dbfr what is this nice case? Motu? Did you custom ordered it or do they already have it Purifi EVAL ready?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That looks great. Nice and clean. What is that you've used to handle the standby/power switch etc?
It's a relay with a mains voltage coil. The front panel switch supplies the coil, so it doesn't need to be rated for the full supply current. The PSU supply is switched by the relay contacts.
what is this nice case?
Looks like one of the Hifi2000 cases available from modushop.biz (manufacturer), audiophonics or diyaudiostore.com
I think they'll all do custom machining if it's not something you want to do yourself.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do you have a reference/part number for that? Looks cool
I read it from the full resolution photo - Schneider RSB2A080P7. Farnell have them, and the socket mount with the screw terminals. That style of relay is widely used industrially, so you'll be able to find a load of alternative suppliers and manufacturers, relays with a higher current rating, or for different mains voltages.

wineds

mocenigo

Major Contributor

ikir

I’ve been looking for information about Purify diy projects, curious if someone can point to a good build guide. I am noob in this and honestly a bit lost, but I would like to build amp based on Purify modules.

thank you.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Hello below the photos of my Purifi amp...

And at least I have the buffer and its discreet supply made by PurifiView attachment 54879
Looks like you spliced two cable sets together, right? Pin-outs are the same on both ends for 6-wire power cable with the Hypex power supply, but not for the 3-wire interface. How did you do yours?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
I’ve been looking for information about Purify diy projects, curious if someone can point to a good build guide. I am noob in this and honestly a bit lost, but I would like to build amp based on Purify modules.

thank you.
There is a lot of information in this forum topic if you read it through. Maybe make some summary notes of useful points as you go. There should be some good “kit” options available in the next few months.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Hello
All that is written above is correct
The case is a modushop, I provided them with a plan so that they drilled my rear panel (saving time)
A 230V industrial type relay directly cuts the SMPS, it is against my principles to leave a power supply on.
I used the unregulated output from the J4 connector to supply the button's LED with a resistor.
I used two identical HYPEX harness wired pin to pin for the main supply, and the small HYPEX harness from J5 connector for the auxiliary supply
I don't wire the AMP ON input of the EVAL1, after discussion with them, their controller manages the start / stop market plop.
However, I wired the ERROR output of EVAL1 to the DC ERROR input

What do you mean by "start / stop market plop" ? (sorry if it something obvious, but I did not wake up well this morning, my brain is not functioning)

ChrisPa

What do you mean by "start / stop market plop" ? (sorry if it something obvious, but I did not wake up well this morning, my brain is not functioning)
Power up noises
- delayed power up/stable supplies is handled by the hypex smps

jsy

I had seen it, it seems to be a good product, but the price ....
better take the eval1!

Seems like it costs ~$50 more than the eval1, doesn't ship from Denmark, doesn't clear customs, and actually buffers for a power amp use case (unlike the eval1). Pretty reasonable

TimoJ

Seems like it costs ~$50 more than the eval1, doesn't ship from Denmark, doesn't clear customs, and actually buffers for a power amp use case (unlike the eval1). Pretty reasonable
EVAL1 is about 125$, this is 2x149$. And it ships from Canada and doesn't clear customs i.e. +24% VAT in my case. Pretty expensive.
What does that "actually buffers for a power amp use case" mean?

barrows

I doubt (but am ready to be proved wrong when it gets measured) that the Neurochrome input boards are going to outperform the Purifi eval module. Take a look at the datasheets for the OPA 1612 vs the OPA LM4562 used on the Neurochrome buffer for starters, and the discrete regulators on the eval board might be an advantage as well (of course one could use to choose Hypex regs for the Neurochrome).
What the Neurochrome offers is more flexibility in layout/design, the ability to make a dual mono amp, or mono blocks. Additionally, I believe the Neurochrom boards are made in Canada, likely to a bit higher standard of quality than the Asian made eval board. Making boards in NA is quite a bit more expensive than making them in Asia, so one has to expect to pay for that difference.
Neurochrome's work is usually really nice, so I do suspect these boards will be worth the asking price.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I doubt (but am ready to be proved wrong when it gets measured) that the Neurochrome input boards are going to outperform the Purifi eval module. Take a look at the datasheets for the OPA 1612 vs the OPA LM4562 used on the Neurochrome buffer for starters, and the discrete regulators on the eval board might be an advantage as well (of course one could use to choose Hypex regs for the Neurochrome).
What the Neurochrome offers is more flexibility in layout/design, the ability to make a dual mono amp, or mono blocks. Additionally, I believe the Neurochrom boards are made in Canada, likely to a bit higher standard of quality than the Asian made eval board. Making boards in NA is quite a bit more expensive than making them in Asia, so one has to expect to pay for that difference.
Neurochrome's work is usually really nice, so I do suspect these boards will be worth the asking price.

They are meant for people doing monoblocks or "pure dual mono" amps, and DIY audience willing to use their features and the corresponding flexibility. Because of the "monoblock" and "DIY" audiences they are not pure breakout boards, i.e. they have a simple buffer on board that can be bypassed. Handling two different SKUs is very expensive for a small business. I think Tom's product will be useful, and of course it does not cater to those that want a simple stereo setup with no tweaking.

Top Bottom