• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

MBroadus

Believe the Node has an optical (maybe a coax too?) that would bypass internal dac. Far better option from a cost perspective would be a chromecast audio (now discontinued) or maybe a raspberry pi?

Thanks...Yes, the 2i has both an optical and digital coax out. I'll continue searching options...also thinking of the Naim Uniti Atom which sounds fantastic.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Think consensus (that I have seen) suggest the internal dac is not up there with the best by a long stretch and if you output to a separate DAC you are paying a lot for only the streaming portion of the box.

Whether that relative lack of dac quality is audible is a different question entirely!
I'm glad you brought this up because I have been looking at the Chord Qutest but prefer to not use my MacBook Pro to stream Tidal. I was curious whether I could use the Node 2i to stream to Qutest without engaging the 2i's DAC? But like you say, the 2i would make for an expensive streamer.

Since selling my Oppo 205, I've been searching for a replacement DAC with no luck. I do have a Oppo 203 that I use to stream my FLAC files but prefer to use Tidal playlists.

Agree with you both, and this is exactly why I wish Bluesound would make a streamer-only box. Unless you want to set up a separate Roon or other server next to your DAC, I think Bluesound has the best all-in-one streaming solution on the market.

MBroadus

Agree with you both, and this is exactly why I wish Bluesound would make a streamer-only box. Unless you want to set up a separate Roon or other server next to your DAC, I think Bluesound has the best all-in-one streaming solution on the market.

After talking to a few people that I trust, they are convinced that there’s very few streamer/DAC combos that do a good job of both for under $3K. They suggest that I use the node 2i as a streamer to a Qutest or other DAC. Another friend suggested the miniDSP SHD DAC streamer.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
After talking to a few people that I trust, they are convinced that there’s very few streamer/DAC combos that do a good job of both for under $3K. They suggest that I use the node 2i as a streamer to a Qutest or other DAC. Another friend suggested the miniDSP SHD DAC streamer.

Chromecast Audio optical into any DAC...

rodtor

Forum Donor
Chromecast Audio optical into any DAC...
I have one of these, as well as a BluOS module in my NAD amp, in a separate setup. I understand that the Chromecast Audio works fine for some people, but for me it is glitchy. When I stream Spotify, it works perfectly. But for TuneIn, which I use to stream music radio stations, I am plagued by advertisements and by a not very good interface. For classical music I mostly use Idagio. Because it is not gapless, the stream seems to have to reconnect with every new song or movement. when using the Chromecast. None of these problems arise with the BLUOS module and perhaps wouldn't with the Node either. I realize that I have a very particular use case, but I wonder if others might also find the Chromecast wanting in some scenarios. I would consider the Node, with an external DAC, if I move on to another amp.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I understand that the Chromecast Audio works fine for some people, but for me it is glitchy.

I think because I mainly use it with Roon, any issues are non-existent for me. I do understand that it can be less than slick under some other applications.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
I have one of these, as well as a BluOS module in my NAD amp, in a separate setup. I understand that the Chromecast Audio works fine for some people, but for me it is glitchy. When I stream Spotify, it works perfectly. But for TuneIn, which I use to stream music radio stations, I am plagued by advertisements and by a not very good interface. For classical music I mostly use Idagio. Because it is not gapless, the stream seems to have to reconnect with every new song or movement. when using the Chromecast. None of these problems arise with the BLUOS module and perhaps wouldn't with the Node either. I realize that I have a very particular use case, but I wonder if others might also find the Chromecast wanting in some scenarios. I would consider the Node, with an external DAC, if I move on to another amp.

I don't have a Chromecast, but it seems like it is clunkier to use than Bluesound if you don't have something like Roon set up. Also, the Chromecast audio is not being made anymore?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
index.php

index.php

Just noticed a similar error in a DAC that @pkane measured, the HiFime UX1: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-firewire-converter.10754/page-2#post-328520

BobPM

I use the coax out. As to being expensive as a streaming box, I think the node is reasonably priced without considering the DAC. The BlueOS is stable and works with multiple services, even has an Alexa tie in, and is much easier to use than trying to configure and maintain Rasberry Pi software. If you consider that a Roon lifetime subscription costs more than the the whole thing, its hard to argue that this is really expensive solely as a streamer. Also, with all the great DACs coming out, you can upgrade to your hearts content and just keep using the node as the basic streamer, and NAD is pretty quick to update the software to accommodate new services.

mikroid

Hello everyone,
I am currently investigating to upgrade my existing transport (Daphile , Ultrabook with SSD storage, Audioquest Cinnamon USB, Audiophileo2+Pure Power) which feeds a REGA DAC.
Do you think it would be an improvement by using a dedicated streamer , in this case a Node 2i ,and feeding DAC using coaxial connection ?
I mention that REGA DAC (V1) benefits greatly from using Audiophilleo but I am not conviced that this solution is still best solution taking in account latest development in market.

MBroadus

Hello everyone,
I am currently investigating to upgrade my existing transport (Daphile , Ultrabook with SSD storage, Audioquest Cinnamon USB, Audiophileo2+Pure Power) which feeds a REGA DAC.
Do you think it would be an improvement by using a dedicated streamer , in this case a Node 2i ,and feeding DAC using coaxial connection ?
I mention that REGA DAC (V1) benefits greatly from using Audiophilleo but I am not conviced that this solution is still best solution taking in account latest development in market.

Basically you want to use the Node 2i as a streamer and bypass the 2i DAC using the coax out connection to the Rega DAC? I have read that the usb input on the Rega DAC is the weakest input and that the other inputs provides better DAC performance. Therefore, I would say yes. I will be using the 2i as a streamer to a Qutest DAC via coax.

mikroid

Thanks for reply.
Yes.I intend to use Node 2i coaxial output.
Tried Roon with HQPlayer but I was not so pleased with fan noise of notebook (not very loud but audible) even the sound was better than using Daphile .
Speaking of existing configuration I was satisfied with improvements brought by Audiophilleo but making direct comparison to my CD transport (Cambridge CXC on coaxial) using same material ripped from cd, there is more sense of presence and clarity.
I have either option to stay with current configuration and try to upgrade the USB cable to something better ,e.g. Carbon (tested AQ Diamond and I confirm was a clear improvement vs Cinnamon but it is too expensive for me) or just buy the Node 2i.
Don't know if Audiophilleo is still a good option today ,also my ultrabook is only wIFI so I am not sure that Tidal will sound on maximum potential (some people here indicated that prefered wired solution to wireless)

mikroid

Forgot to mention (obvious for Audiophilleo owners) that I am currently using coaxial input of REGA DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks for reply.

Speaking of existing configuration I was satisfied with improvements brought by Audiophilleo but making direct comparison to my CD transport (Cambridge CXC on coaxial) using same material ripped from cd, there is more sense of presence and clarity.
I have either option to stay with current configuration and try to upgrade the USB cable to something better ,e.g. Carbon (tested AQ Diamond and I confirm was a clear improvement vs Cinnamon but it is too expensive for me) ...

You do understand that those differences are imaginary, right?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What are you reffering? Differences betwen computer solution vs. CD transport or the cables? Or all?

Yes. This sort of belief is a common thing, and strongly encouraged by an industry fueled by bullshit, where hucksters like AudioQuest are taken seriously.

Fortunately, there's a cure- doing controlled listening tests (ears only, no peeking). It will rock your world, and you'll put more of your resource into things that actually audibly matter.

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer
Try connecting the bluesound node 2i to a decent system, with quality preamp, quality cables upgrade it's power cable, it's a very decent sounding DAC, subjective maybe, I compared against 6 leading DACS, for those questioning 'sound quality' I can confidently say those performance figures are not reflected in its sound quality .

(Yes wrong forums for subjective opinion flame on )

Attachments

• 20200419_121533.jpg
    20200419_121533.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 387

blodsbror

Try connecting the bluesound node 2i to a decent system, with quality preamp, quality cables upgrade it's power cable, it's a very decent sounding DAC, subjective maybe, I compared against 6 leading DACS, for those questioning 'sound quality' I can confidently say those performance figures are not reflected in its sound quality .

(Yes wrong forums for subjective opinion flame on )

Or just connect a node 2i directly to a poweramp - as it can be used as a digital pre-amp ? Any reason to have another device in the chain, if it's not really necessary ?

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer
Or just connect a node 2i directly to a poweramp - as it can be used as a digital pre-amp ? Any reason to have another device in the chain, if it's not really necessary ?

For impedance matching, also as a low noise input buffer, a poorly matched output stage may affect sound quality dynamics. From personal experience I have noticed a well matched preamp in the chain 'may' improve sound, it has in the case with my current and a few previous amps.

The blue sound is pretty decent to get back to the topic it's slightly lacking in comparison to my es9038pro dac, it sounds pretty close to the d50s (flicking quickly between the two DACs )

(once again subjective, just a post to help people who are thinking about buying a bluesound node)

Top Bottom