• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone spectrum analyzer

Lavawood

Forum Donor
What is the best spectrum analyzer for iPhone? I have an iPhone 10, is the microphone sensitive down to 10 Hz? How high will is go? Would spl measurements be accurate?

tuga

Major Contributor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dayton Audio mic requires a headphone jack, and the iPhone 10 does not have one. The best mic I'm aware of for the 10 is the Shure MV88, at about US$150, but it isn't a calibrated mic. I use the spectrum analyzer from Black Cat Systems on my XR just for field work, but if you want accurate spectrum analysis I recommend OmniMic II from Parts Express running on a PC.

tuga

Major Contributor
I forgot about the missing minijack... My phone is Android.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Siwel

Forum Donor
^that ap looks reasonably priced!

For four dollars, this does a lot but you may not need the extras it offers. SPLnFFT. I have this and audio tools on my phone. For things like noise or spl measurements, setting up subs, and an fft screen, it's all I need. It is able to average spl over time which is useful to me but not to most audio guys. AudioTools has more capabilities but you have to pay more and each device you add is extra. A usb mic and a matching dongle for your phone should do the trick. You can use your phone's mic if all you care about are relative differences. If you need absolute accuracy rather than relative readings, you need a calibrated mic.There is an option for the one I linked to that comes calibrated.

The built in mic will not be useful below about 40Hz, maybe higher and I'm not sure AudioTools is accurate at 10Hz. You should check any apps you're looking at to see if they work there as well. They very well may not. Most audio devices don't do much good work below 20Hz, especially small diaphragm electrets.

Last edited:

johnnparry55

anadir

What is the best spectrum analyzer for iPhone? I have an iPhone 10, is the microphone sensitive down to 10 Hz? How high will is go? Would spl measurements be accurate?
Try Muzz new pro audio tool for spectrum analysis for iOS, iPad and MacBook:

DavidMcRoy

Doesn't work in contemporary iPhones. I had a nicer version of that from iSEMcon which was calibrated to the Apple input standard, but it got obsoleted when Apple (in their infinite wisdom) dropped their headphone/mike jacks and went over to Lightning.
There's an adapter for that. I use one on my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok Are you telling that this $9.95 $7.99 !!!! dongle which, by the way, performs as well as or better than some High End DAC costing $15,000.oo :D, is also an ADC?
I have it and ...
Wow!
Could it be used with something like the Behringer ECM8000 in that capacity? Since I have iPhone Pro 13, the dongle and the Behringer?

Peace.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok Are you telling that this $9.95 $7.99 !!!! dongle is also an ADC?
Yes. There's a 24bit, 48kHz single channel ADC plus phantom power supply inside.
However, it can only supply 1.26V of phantom power to your mic, so P48 XLR mics will not work (or poorly so).
Your ECM8000 needs at least 15V.

Andysu

Major Contributor
a little of spectrum phone topic .
spectrum lab is by far thee definitive for pc computers . designed for radio astronomy it has good monitoring and use of features .
free download

i use too many colours which gives better colourful frequency spectrum . range is 0Hz to high , high frequencies that is often reserved for dogs cats and bats hearing range . movies and music mixes don't go that high .

28178_422522525148_6763583_n.jpg

DavidMcRoy

Which adapter are you using? From a practical hobbyists standpoint, did you notice a difference using AudioTools with the calibrated microphone versus the internal microphone?
I use this one:

They now have this one, too:

You have to follow directions and use the linked calibration file for your individual unit referenced to its serial number.

For the practical purpose of measuring frequency response, there is no point in paying more for a calibrated mic. It's either calibrated or it isn't.

Top Bottom