• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

niesfisch

so, i got the XTZ EDGE A2-300 and paired it with the Yamaha WXC-50. i've returned the WXA-50. setup was easy. there is def. more power available and so i have the feeling there is enough headroom. now i need to turn the volume up to 80-90 where it was 100-120 before ... so a little better but not a world. still quite happy. soundwise i did not hear a difference so far, just more headroom :)

xtz.jpg

readerr0r

I noticed a lot of people mention the lack of specific volume control as a bug bear for this amp. Are you guys aware that the amp has a more pro website interface? You just put the location/name you gave the amp when setting it up, with -'s instead of space, followed by .local into your web browser. So for instance my amp is called living room in the app so its living-room.local and boom, more detailed volume and all the controls from the app interface too ready to use from any device that has a web browser.

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 11.19.25 pm.png

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I noticed a lot of people mention the lack of specific volume control as a bug bear for this amp. Are you guys aware that the amp has a more pro website interface? You just put the location/name you gave the amp when setting it up, with -'s instead of space, followed by .local into your web browser. So for instance my amp is called living room in the app so its living-room.local and boom, more detailed volume and all the controls from the app interface too ready to use from any device that has a web browser.

View attachment 54224
That's a nice solution. Kudos to Yamaha for making their control interface platform-agnostic (HTML vs. mobile app). Does this view re-style for vertical devices like phones or do you manually have to zoom around?

civi

Any idea if some of those "speaker size" settings involve high pass filter ? I'm really interested in this amp and I'd plan to use it with small kefs and svs sealed sub but I'm afraid about subwoofer integration without proper low cut for speakers.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Any idea if some of those "speaker size" settings involve high pass filter ? I'm really interested in this amp and I'd plan to use it with small kefs and svs sealed sub but I'm afraid about subwoofer integration without proper low cut for speakers.
Couldn't find a reference to "speaker size" in the manual or in this thread. All the manual says is this, from page 12:

"You can adjust the volume or high frequency cut off control when the subwoofer is equipped with those functions."

So, no built-in adjustments for the subwoofer output.

civi

Couldn't find a reference to "speaker size" in the manual or in this thread.

I'm referring to this (from that manual) - Page 30 / Sound:

1584947981676.png

Going by the manual from budget stereo amps and streamer/amp combos only Marantz offer proper sub crossover, but other components performance is dubious.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I'm referring to this (from that manual) - Page 30 / Sound:

View attachment 55490
Oh, nice. That's what I get for not reading the rest of the manual!

It looks like those are combinations of virtual bass extension with other preset EQ curves.

On the plus side it looks like there is a level adjustment for the subwoofer output even if there is no crossover setting. Your SVS doesn't have its own LPF?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So it appears speaker size is indirectly exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for great find @infinitesymphony
It's a shame that the documentation doesn't include what actually happens with each of the speaker type options in SETTINGS2. This thread seems to indicate that the default option, bookshelf, is basically a HPF:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/to...o-excite-x14a/?do=findComment&comment=3917178

(Note that the discussion is about the WXC-50, which appears to have similar settings.)
From reading the wxa manual I got the exact opposite impression. Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like selecting bookshelf speakers in the menu would apply a bass boost rather than a HPF. I emailed Yamaha but have not heard back. Would be great to measure.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
From reading the wxa manual I got the exact opposite impression. Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like selecting bookshelf speakers in the menu would apply a bass boost rather than a HPF. I emailed Yamaha but have not heard back. Would be great to measure.
That was my initial thought as well. Please let us know when you hear back. My guess is that this will be one of the first threads with actual info about what the settings do.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t expect to hear back. I emailed them 2 years ago...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
You can view/edit even more settings in your browser: ip-to-your-amp/setup
Example: 192.168.2.88/setup
Any chance you could take a screenshot of the additional settings?

Still curious to know what the various speaker type options actually do to the frequency response.

spacebar

Forum Donor

Still curious to know what the various speaker type options actually do to the frequency response.
I don’t have the unit anymore so I can’t take any screenshots. However if I recall correctly none of those settings actually show what it does with frequency etc. I was curious too but couldn’t find anything. When changing between the different speaker types I remember it was mainly bass and clarity that changed. But I guess you already know this. So maybe a crossover setting plus minus some small adjustments.

niesfisch

To me it looks like it offers the same settings the app/normal web-ui has just with a tree based browser UI. here some screenshots to give you an idea. nothing about frequency response ....

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 20.05.46.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-14 at 20.05.29.png

Top Bottom