• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

GabrielZM

I hope they don’t measure like this. . .

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system-test-bench

but they probably will.

I‘ll keep my Primus 150s, thank you (though my son uses them now in his bedroom, but yeah, they’re pretty good. . .)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-primus-150-loudspeaker-measurements

Spin - Infinity Reference R162.png

harman own measurements seems quite different from those on soundandvision....

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
View attachment 53528
harman own measurements seems quite different from those on soundandvision....

Yeah, we just saw a review here where the Harman data was quite optimistic. Honestly, I’m starting to suspect a pattern in that department, but I don’t know the cause. :) My takeaway, Harman is not always “as advertised.” QC? Product variance? Build quality? Golden samples? Fudging data? Reliability? I dunno, but there’s a problem. Anyway, I’ll hang on to my Primus 150s. Those were the statement piece for a small speaker (at least in 2003), IMHO. Still sounding good. I have to wait anotherr 18 months (when my son goes to college) to get them back though. . .

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
https://www.soundstagexperience.com...nes-and-what-they-say-about-what-matters-most

I am just going by this article. Perhaps the made in Japan versions are different from the newer ones?
They are close in the midrange, but not the low bass or highs. The link I posted above shows how close they are to the Harman curve.

It makes sense to make the comparison though. And your point that Klipsch ProMedia speakers might show some interesting congruences too, as you say, is likely true. I used them as desktop speakers for a long time.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I hope they don’t measure like this. . .

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system-test-bench

but they probably will.

I‘ll keep my Primus 150s, thank you (though my son uses them now in his bedroom, but yeah, they’re pretty good. . .)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-primus-150-loudspeaker-measurements

I have listen quite a bit to them. They sound excellent. They are a bit bright but somehow the way this tweeter handles itself I actually really liked the sound and normally I am not a fan of rising top end. They have something special (for the price).
Highly recommended by me.

airs

goldark

Forum Donor
Seriously considering the RC263 and 162 (as surrounds) for my HT. Anyone else have experience with these speakers?

I have the R152 and they are excellent. Pretty close in sound quality to my Revel F206 actually when taking output and bass capabilities out of the equation.

airs

I have the R152 and they are excellent. Pretty close in sound quality to my Revel F206 actually when taking output and bass capabilities out of the equation.

Cool - I'm considering the F206 or F208 as my L/R. Wonder if they would pair okay with the Infinity center/rears? My plan is that they would do double duty - connected to a pair of NC400 monoblocks fed by ADI-2 DAC when I want to listen to music. Then when I want to watch something, I would manually disconnect the speaker cables going to the NC400's and connect speaker cables going to my AVR.

How do you have yours setup?

goldark

Forum Donor
Cool - I'm considering the F206 or F208 as my L/R. Wonder if they would pair okay with the Infinity center/rears? My plan is that they would do double duty - connected to a pair of NC400 monoblocks fed by ADI-2 DAC when I want to listen to music. Then when I want to watch something, I would manually disconnect the speaker cables going to the NC400's and connect speaker cables going to my AVR.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the Infinity center/rears - which, although not a perfect match, would be close enough where all but the truly picky would be satisfied. My F206 are in my bedroom for casual music/late night TV. My main setup is a 5.2 setup with Ascend Sierra 2-EX and dual Rythmik subwoofers.

GabrielZM

Would not that connect/disconnect be a little bit cumbersome on a daily basis? Maybe a AV processor acting as pre-amp the the heavy duty on the monoblocks?

airs

Would not that connect/disconnect be a little bit cumbersome on a daily basis? Maybe a AV processor acting as pre-amp the the heavy duty on the monoblocks?

My AVR doesn't have XLR connections unfortunately. I'd also like to try and keep the chain as simple as possible - who knows what my AVR does to an analog signal /shrug

Putter

Forum Donor
I have both CR 57 (for rear-projection) and CR 67 (surround) in my previous 7.1ch home theater. Most blessed people (not audiophiles) who enter my dedicated room would think that the bigger ones should be better... But as you have already experienced, the CR67 only goes down in extension giving you lower and better power handling, at the expense of worse frequency response. Anyway, I have never noticed discomfort listening to the CR67, but my use has been for movie soundtracks in a room with full acoustic treatment and PEQ applied to them resulting in a response similar to the "in-room" from Amirm's graphs. On the other hand, the CR57 raw response sounds really good for the $100 I paid in 2009.
The small 4.25" woofer and smaller/different ratio cabinet makes for the better recipe.
WARNING: Whenever I recommend both speakers or any other type of bookshelf I do so with the consideration that they will be crossed with a subwoofer.

There's a similar relationship in the Infinity Primus line (also discontinued), the 140 series with a 4 inch woofer having a better frequency response and (likely better dispersion) than the 150 series which has a small midbass resonance. It stands to reason that the smaller the size differential between the woofer and tweeter, the easier it is to crossover and maintain a flat frequency response. This is of course at the expense of ultimate volume capability, distortion and low end. As with most all standmounts it should be crossed over to a sub for low end to make it 'pseudo' 3 way.

It would be nice to see Amir measure the Primus especially the 140 series which has gotten less attention than the 150 and 160 series. I DON'T consider it a priority as I'd prefer to see measurements on commercially available speakers.

Last edited:

Crane

Forum Donor
i'm getting tired of all these Youtube and website recommendations for Triangle BR03, would like to see actual measurements for those.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i'm getting tired of all these Youtube and website recommendations for Triangle BR03, would like to see actual measurements for those.
Seems like they are sending these speakers to typical bloggers. Drop them an email and see if they send me one. They may.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Came across these on Taobao while searching for some other stuff there.

HiviH6.jpg

They are the HiVi H6, 6.5", 3-way powered speakers that also have build-in BlueTooth and Wifi receiver with DSP. Not exactly cheap at RMB5680 (~US$810 MSRP), though I see it listed at RMB4299 (US$613) for the pair.

What caught my attention really was the specified 38hz-20khz (+/-3dB Free Space) and measurement charts for FR and SPL.
Very, very curious if these are actually real measurements. If the directivity is decent, these could be great value speakers.

FR curves.jpg

Top Bottom