• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a seriously impressive setup. Do you mind my asking what you use to switch the Salon2s from the Benchmark for 2ch to the Emotiva for Mch? Sorry if that's remedial but it's an issue I've been wrestling with as I come up to speed on how to optimize my own rig for both.

The LA4 XLR output is connected to the AHB2s. One LA4 input is from the Oppo UDP-205 and the other is from the Front L/R from the RMC-1. The LA4 does not allow for discrete input selection but Benchmark support helps me set it up so that it selected the Oppo input then select next for the RMC-1 input. It's a bit of a kludge but works. I sent a request to Rory at Benchmark and he said that they would look into providing discrete input selection.

Here is the path for the main channels:

Multi-Channell: RMC-1 FL/FR XLR -> Benchmark LA4 XLR input (Fixed gain) -> AHB2's

2-Channel: Roon Server BRIX PC -> Oppo UDP-205 USB DAC Input -> Benchmark LA4 XLR input -> AHB2's

So for 2 channel, I have no processing.

- Rich

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just completed revamping the game room 2-channel system:

Oppo UDP-205 for Roon music streaming only
Benchmark AHB2
Revel M126Be's
Martin Logan Grotto i subwoofer

IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

My wife complained about the wires so I went totally overboard and built a cubbyhole self into the wall that has power, gigabit LAN, HDFury Vertex2 (for TiVo mini 4K, Oppo, and PC) video switching. Video is connected by 30 and 45 foot Ruipro hybrid fiber HDMI cables.

There is 2 inch PVC condiut for the wires.
The shelves are made of hard-pine stairing from home depot :p

I am still looking for small footprint Roon Ready DAC to replace the Oppo.

- Rich

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A happy Pink Panther on the top shelf would complete the look... :)

TimVG

Major Contributor
View from the couch. Pictured are some Revel speakers, a BD player, a Samsung TV, part of a PC and a bunch of amplifiers. Not pictured are some subwoofers (there's a glimpse of one left of the Revel speaker), more Revels, buttkickers, signal processors, another amplifier, and a little lamp.

20200310_150722.jpg

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A happy Pink Panther on the top shelf would complete the look... :)

The pink panther is so 80's. We have moved on to baby Yoda.

GameRoomBabyYoda.jpg

- Rich

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Reminds that Brian sent me Rythmik logos but I've yet to put them on my subs...

HemiRick

My Rig. VMPS Super Tower II RS/SE speakers, (2)VMPS subs (1 not in pic), Integra 30.4 AVR, Parasound HCA2200, Behringer NX 3000, Also not shown is other amp (QSC RMX1450) for unseen sub. There is also a HDminiDSP.

Oh I forgot, my music is all on a harddrive in a Win 10 puter streaming to a Raspberry Pi with an ALLo Boss DAC hat, obviously going into the AVR, which I just use as a preamp as it has a full set of preouts.
DSCF3592 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Just so you don't have to wait too long, what's your opinion of them?

Do they have characteristics that belong in the "foo" category, or is that reserved for things that you aren't sure even work?

I'm still making cables from the scrap heap. They're oil-resistant, that's a plus.

View attachment 4071

Some foo not in the picture - a HomeDepot wooden paint stir stick (free) jammed vertically between the terminals.

Can you point me towards the terminals you used here?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Asylum Seeker

20200313_085654.jpg

Last edited:

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
The bloody cat has ruined all chances of ever having my speakers back so I'm headphone only.

Cans:
Grado PS1000 and GS1000
HD800
Beyer T1 (v2)
Denon D7000 and a few more

Amps:
THX789
Geshelli Archel 2.5
Schiit Mjolnir
Heed Canamp

DAC:
SMSL M500 (USB from laptop)
Cambridge Audio CXN v2 streamer (Also hooked up by USB to laptop)

I have a pair of Clements RT7s in the basement I bought used from a guy who completely wrapped them in wire screening(and hundreds of staples) underneath the cloth cover. Doubt it was near being acoustically transparent, but it was cat proof and looked fine - stylistically like the Von Schweikerts with wrap around cover. Speakers were quite cheap thanks to his modifications.

Fortunately, my cat is nearly blind and only scratches carpets and an ugly chair...unfortunately, I have a cat.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View from the couch. Pictured are some Revel speakers, a BD player, a Samsung TV, part of a PC and a bunch of amplifiers. Not pictured are some subwoofers (there's a glimpse of one left of the Revel speaker), more Revels, buttkickers, signal processors, another amplifier, and a little lamp.

View attachment 53968

Is that blue amp Powersoft? How's the fan noise?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Is that blue amp Powersoft? How's the fan noise?

Good catch. It's audible when there's nothing else going on in the room. Even at background playback levels however it is pretty much inaudible. It's an M series, I've been told they're quieter than the K series. Solid amplifier though.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Like my sig says (hopefully because I just registered) for my personal room I have:
Moon 220i integrated amp
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Buchardt S400 speakers
music hall cd25.2 cd player
Rega planar p1 for my limited vynil collection

for movies in the living room i have a mixture of things, not great but good enough for the occasional movie:
marantz 1608 and a mixture of speakers
front spakers are kefq150
surround speakers and atmos speakers are Klipsch
central is a polk audio s30
oppo 203 for blueray and network playing.

Cheers!

ripvw

Forum Donor
System Update:

Apple iMac 27 running Tidal Hi-Fi 44.1k and Apple Music(formerly iTunes) library of burned CD's using Apple Lossless, as well as the usual YouTube, SoundCloud, NPR and various other audio/video sources
Topping D90 DAC/preamp - USB input only, switching from XLR out to headphone amp and RCA out to powered speakers, running 0dB for headphones and from -25db to 0Db for the Kali's set on their detented mid-gain position
Geshelli Labs Archel2.5 headphone amp
Etymotic ER4SR IEM
Kali IN-8 studio monitors
running 1-foot Blue Jeans Cable XLR (Canare) from D90 to Archel2.5, Benchmark 6-foot RCA/XLR (Canare) cables to the Kali's. Stock power cords replaced by cheap heavier gauge stuff from Amazon along with $40 Panamax surge protector just because...

Desktop system with Kali's located on 32" stands about 1 meter from listening position (too close). Very happy with new additions Topping D90 and Geshelli Archel2.5. Very happy with Kali's as well and EXTREMELY happy with Etymotic ER4SR's - best headphones I've ever used and I used to have the top of the line Stax years ago, HD600's recently and AKG K701's for years. For less than $300 on sale these are one of the best deals in audio.

I think I'm done for a while...just going to listen to music, watch movies and hoard toilet paper (apparently the new indoor sport here in the States)

Last edited:

NhemeisZal0m0

IMG_20200401_013525.jpg

second hand luck
audio nirvana super 8 neo fullrange
azura horn
Pass designed SLOBs with 4x15" in each tower
topping dx3
breeze audio preamp (mbl copy) used as amp, oh haha, not anymore, used as preamp for a Ghent :) severe clipping :) (im so stupid)
sony tan55 after crossover 400hz
intel fanles minipc

previously used the "la scalas" hps 525!
Hifiman 4xx with Hesuvi
yamaha ns1000m
coral 10sa7
krix esoterix 2
scott 176b and 196b

started hobby 3 years ago with gifted set of dali suite 1.5 and bougth a yamaha as501
there is also a yamaha m4 and Im saving up for topping e30s to do crossovers digitaly :)
Also I have Crites 1526C 4ohmWoofers, so maybee pop them in 525 bass topp plate removable, and replace the S.L.O.B

Last edited:
Top Bottom