• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone using Peachtree Amp500??

FAST

Forum Donor
Thoughts, impressions and general opinions welcome. Have found very little online.

Thank you in advance

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@FAST
They are kind of new, so very few reports online.
AFAIK amp500 is the amp-only version of the nova500, which is based on a single ICEpower 1200AS module.
Nice chassis, but you can get that same performance for less with Apollon and Nord amplifiers.

Last edited:

bigbag34

Forum Donor
I know the module's themselves can be purchased for less money, but I wonder if Peachtree's custom designed input stage adds any value? Maybe Peachtree's input stage takes away from fidelity?

I know peachtree used to use the tube buffer input and I have to wonder if they "tuned by ear" the AMP500 to sound similar.

OP
FAST

FAST

Forum Donor
less than 1499.00 ? for apollon/nord?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BF Pro Events

Thoughts, impressions and general opinions welcome. Have found very little online.

Thank you in advance
I'm using the amp 500

Pros.
Lots of power. Powering Polk LSIM 707
Looks great
Light
Small if your space for it is limited

Cons
Not warm. Almost chilly
Makes a popping noise when switching sources on the reciever.
I added a tube buffer between my reciever and the amp. Not only did it get rid of the noise, it now makes my audio system beyond amazing.

OP
FAST

FAST

Forum Donor
I'm using the amp 500

Pros.
Lots of power. Powering Polk LSIM 707
Looks great
Light
Small if your space for it is limited

Cons
Not warm. Almost chilly
Makes a popping noise when switching sources on the reciever.
I added a tube buffer between my reciever and the amp. Not only did it get rid of the noise, it now makes my audio system beyond amazing.
what tube buffer did you add?

Unclevanya

I almost bought a Peachtree Nova 300 but my experience with their customer service and my research on e Bay made me shy away. The cases crack more often than I would be happy with. The particular unit I was looking at had a cracked case. Surprisingly no replacement cases are available. In an ironic twist the company is headquartered within 20 minutes of my house, but they were very slow responding to my attention to contact them.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For what is worth, I have a very old Peachtree Musicbox, that I use a pre amp now, the preamp stage has a tube. I have a mixed feeling about the quality of this device.

At the beginning I connected an ipod, gen 4rd at that time, and has some kind of ground problem, the ipod will not work, only solution was to unplug and plug the power cord from the wall, and then with some luck all will be fine.

Now I dont use it with ipods, just as preamp, but after 4 years the potentiometer is faulty, if I move the volume knob 1 channel will be off, I wanted to put a new one, but seems to be a custom special one, so for the moment I dont touch the volume :)
I connect it to a class AB amp and all is good anyway.

But I have this little amp like 9 years now I think, still running. I am thinking of changing it for a good DAC instead, I need one more digital input.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
almost bought a Peachtree Nova 300 but my experience with their customer service and my research on e Bay made me shy away. The cases crack more often than I would be happy with. The particular unit I was looking at had a cracked case.
Truly, QC from Peachtree seems terrible. Digital inputs of my Nova 300 died two months after I received it....

Can't recommend the Amp 500. Buy anything from custom amps Manufacturers instead: Rouge Audio, Apollon, Nord. It is still an 1200AS2 module in a fancy case at the end...

Unclevanya

Truly, QC from Peachtree seems terrible. Digital inputs of my Nova 300 died two months after I received it....

Can't recommend the Amp 500. Buy anything from custom amps Manufacturers instead: Rouge Audio, Apollon, Nord. It is still an 1200AS2 module in a fancy case at the end...
On top of that they don't keep parts long. They had zero model 300 replacement cases available when I asked.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
And then there are those with no problems. I have a Nova 150 and a Nova 300, have used them daily for 3 years, and have experienced zero problems with them. I need to send one to Amir for measurements. We know what the power modules do, thanks to B&O's published AP measurements, but it would be interesting to see how successful Peachtree was with the DAC and preamp implementations.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And then there are those with no problems. I have a Nova 150 and a Nova 300, have used them daily for 3 years, and have experienced zero problems with them. I need to send one to Amir for measurements. We know what the power modules do, thanks to B&O's published AP measurements, but it would be interesting to see how successful Peachtree was with the DAC and preamp implementations.

Yes, that would be really nice to know, how good are their DAC on these integrated amps.

GeorgeWalk

I had a Nova 65SE for a couple years. I liked it.I never had a problem with it. Beautiful cherry case; probably the best looking piece of furniture in my house. Sounded good. I bought it used on eBay. I think the newer units are overpriced for the power/performance they provide.

weasels

I had a Nova150 and one of the original DeepBlue Bluetooth speakers.

I actually thought they sounded a little too warm/mellow with rolled off highs, but that could be my aging ears. I can also confirm, however, that the QA was problematic. The digital inputs on the Nova failed after about 3 months and the DeepBlue developed a problem where the volume would just increase to max by itself. I found customer service to be responsive and friendly, but in the end that couldn't make up for the poor quality control for me and I sold both.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I had a Nova 65SE for a couple years. I liked it.I never had a problem with it. Beautiful cherry case; probably the best looking piece of furniture in my house. Sounded good. I bought it used on eBay. I think the newer units are overpriced for the power/performance they provide.

The key is to call them to order refurbished and ask for the same warranty as new, which they will provide. That improves the value proposition greatly.

Unclevanya

Have you read this thread? https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-and-measurements-of-peachtree-nova-pre.7668/

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Top Bottom