• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

trustlaw

This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Topping D70 balanced audio DAC. The company was kind enough to send me a sample for review. The D70 costs US $499 although their products frequently go on sale.

The D70 has a similar look and feel to other Topping products which is to say feels quite solid:

The display is now white OLED which gives the unit more of a professional look. Alas, even in its highest setting, it was not bright enough for my taste.

The back panel is what you expect with the addition of IIS port:
The D70 like the rest of the Topping products comes with full set of safety and emissions regulatory certificates which is important for a mains operated product. These certifications are expensive and add to the development time and hence the reason they are skipped in some other competing products.

The D70 comes with a new revision of their standard remote control and remedies some issues customers have had. Namely, it comes with a pair of separate AAA batteries instead of coin cells which had come missing in some of their other products. Along these lines, there is now a red LED that lights up when you push a button so you can easily tell if you have an issue with the remote or the main unit if you can't control it. They both worked well in my testing.

The D70 continues the trend of recent products from Topping to move away from ESS DAC chips to AKM. So while the D70 may look similar to Topping DX7s (sans headphone amplifier), it has a completely different architecture internally. So let's get into measurements and see how it does.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual we start with our Dashboard. The input for all tests is USB. The first measurement is using the XLR balanced output:

View attachment 26946

The output voltage for both channels is identical which shows precision of implementation. As is right on the money frequency of 1 kHz tone.

The distortion+noise is very good but dashes my hope of it winning the crown of the best measured DAC:
View attachment 26947

RCA output is just a hair worse:
View attachment 26948

The D70 shows what it is made out of in stellar dynamic range performance:
View attachment 26949

Wow, this is exceptionally clean and better than DACs with higher SINAD ratings. This is one quiet DAC!

This superiority shows up in intermodulation distortion test which at low levels is dominated by noise:
View attachment 26950

We see that the D70 beats our best measuring DAC so far, the Okto DAC8 in this respect (sloping down part of the graph).

We can see why SINAD suffers a bit because once the levels get close to maximum, more distortion sets in than best of the best DACs. If you operate the DAC using its volume control you would avoid this and get all the benefits of the D70.

Of note, the D70 easily beats Topping's own DX3 Pro in noise performance and matches it in distortion. Very few DACs can accomplish this and hence the reason I have been using the DX3 Pro as a reference in this test.

The SMSL SU-8 is a direct budget competitor to Topping D70 so let's see how they compare on the same test:
View attachment 26951

The performance gap widens given the "ESS Hump" which causes distortion to rise in mid levels in SU-8.

It seems that ESS based DACs have more controlled distortion at the limit than these AKM products but otherwise, the AKM DACs pull ahead -- at least in this implementation.

Linearity is aced with ruler-perfect accuracy all the way up to -120 dB (20 bits of resolution):
View attachment 26952

This is as good as it gets and is better than Topping DX3 Pro.

Multitone looks excellent:
View attachment 26953

We have 120 dB separate between intermodulation distortion products and our peak signal which well exceeds our hearing dynamic range.

Wide-band THD+N shows somewhat degraded performance due to existence of a near 45 khz signal dependent spike (not shown):

View attachment 26954

There are six filter settings:

View attachment 26955

Default is mode 3 which is fine as it has the flattest in-band response and sharpest attenuation of out of band (distortion) products. Worst one in this regard is Filter mode 5 ("super slow roll off") in navy blue.

Conclusions
The Topping D70 came dangerously close to unseating every other DAC. Its full output distortion is a few dB worse than the best so it didn't get there. But in all other respects, the D70 produces exceptional measured performance. Its crown jewel is exceptionally quiet noise floor that creates one of the best dynamic ranges I have measured. Use of AKM chip takes advantage of that to produces exceptionally clean performance where your volume control normally would be.

Unless my memory is hazy, the D70 produces the best measured performance of any Topping DAC. So if you are a fan the brand and want the best DAC in their product line, the D70 is it.

Note that the D70 is a new product so I can't vouch for its reliability in the field as yet. My sample worked beautifully so no concerns from this one unit.

I am happy to recommend the Topping D70 for its solid engineering and great performance.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I am getting tired of digging holes to plant our thousands of transplants. Have you all seen the robot suites in the movie Alien?

I like to purchase one of those to help with the digging. I hear they are expensive so please be generous with your donations:

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Dear Amirm,

Thanks to your good review of Topping D70. I just bought the DAC and enjoy the sound it produces. However, when I connected I²S output of Cocktail Audio X50D to I²S input of Topping D70 and set "DSD via I²S Out" in X50D to ON mode (X50D will send out DSD native signal via I²S Out), the Topping D70 receives signals of 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz or 11.2 MHz from X50D (this information appears on Topping D70 screen) but there is no sound output from Topping D70. Only if I changed the setting "DSD via I²S Out" in X50D to OFF mode (X50D will convert DSD signal to PCM by hardware) then there is sound output from Topping D70.

I have read D70 user manual, tried many types and length of HDMI cable as well as changed all DSD settings in D70 but to no avail.

Therefore. I would really appreciate should you could extend your kind advice on this particular connection between X50D and D70 I²S to make the DSD signal via I²S work with sound.

P/S: DSD signal from X50D "USB Audio Out" to Topping D70 USB input works properly with DSD native or DOP.

Thank you very much for your great assistance and supports.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Veri

Master Contributor
I2S is not the best way to transfer data imo, due to lack of standardisation. The DSD output probably isn't exactly how the Topping expects it.
Why not use USB instead of I2S, anyway? If USB works? I don't really understand.

trustlaw

I2S is not the best way to transfer data imo, due to lack of standardisation. The DSD output probably isn't exactly how the Topping expects it.
Why not use USB instead of I2S, anyway? If USB works? I don't really understand.
Thank you very much for your kind advice. I also have other DACs like AUDIOLAB & Esoteric but neither of them has I2S input. I would like to experience I2S sound that is supposed to be better compared to other digital signals like Coxial, Optical, AES or even USB. I too have other source like PC to connect to USB input of the DAC and I've already tried the sound from USB audio output of X50D to USB input of Topping D70, however the sound that I feel is not as good as via I2S. I do not know why X50D sends the DSD signal and Topping receives properly but there is no sound. I would like to attach here with the I2S HDMI LVDS pin spec of X50D from Cocktail for any of your great help that I really appreciate. Best regards,

Attachments

• i2S_RJ45_HDMI_Pin spec sheet.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 249

Toku

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for your kind advice. I also have other DACs like AUDIOLAB & Esoteric but neither of them has I2S input. I would like to experience I2S sound that is supposed to be better compared to other digital signals like Coxial, Optical, AES or even USB. I too have other source like PC to connect to USB input of the DAC and I've already tried the sound from USB audio output of X50D to USB input of Topping D70, however the sound that I feel is not as good as via I2S. I do not know why X50D sends the DSD signal and Topping receives properly but there is no sound. I would like to attach here with the I2S HDMI LVDS pin spec of X50D from Cocktail for any of your great help that I really appreciate. Best regards,
There are six types of D70 I2S HDMI connections. You have to choose from them. Is IIS PHASE REV compatible with X50D?

Attachments

• 2513963.jpg
    2513963.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 412
  • D70 I2S.png
    D70 I2S.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 731

trustlaw

There are six types of D70 I2S HDMI connections. You have to choose from them. Is IIS PHASE REV compatible with X50D?
Thank you very much, Toku. I've tried D70 DSD and IIS settings including PHASE REV but to no avail. I do not understand why DSD signal is OK but without sound output from D70. I wonder whether there is any working setup between these two X50D & D70.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thank you very much, Toku. I've tried D70 DSD and IIS settings including PHASE REV but to no avail. I do not understand why DSD signal is OK but without sound output from D70. I wonder whether there is any working setup between these two X50D & D70.
As Vari pointed out, I2S has many problems because the connection arrangement of connectors is not standardized.
It is often used on Mini PCs such as the Raspberry Pi, but it still takes time to be fully standardized.

trustlaw

As Vari pointed out, I2S has many problems because the connection arrangement of connectors is not standardized.
It is often used on Mini PCs such as the Raspberry Pi, but it still takes time to be fully standardized.
I purchased X50D just to try the I2S sound but I feel a bit tired & disappointed with this unstandadized I2S connection. To the present, X50D can only sent out working DSD signal via USB Audio. However, once this USB Audio is used (plugged in), what a pity that other digital outputs like I2S, Optical, Coaxial are not functioned anymore (as per Cocktail's technician). If X50D I2S will never work with D70, I would like to seek your good idea or experience what DAC could receive DSD signal from X50D properly (I love sound from this I2s).

Thank you very much for your great share & knowledge, Toku. Best regards,

bboris77

I had a quick question concerning the D70 specifications. I believe that there may be an error in the published specifications in the manual. It states that the noise level for the RCA output is <2.4uVrms, and XLR is <1.8uVrms. I believe that these two must be reversed since the voltage output is doubled in the XLR Line Out mode (4V vs 2V for the RCA Line Out).

All of Topping's other DACs or DAC/AMP combos follow the same pattern where the noise level is always lower for the RCA output (DX7s, DX7 Pro, D90).

What do the experts here think?

lecter255

I just saw that! Very tempted, but just last night I thought I was going to get the D50s.

Can someone please enlighten me on what I'm paying $150 extra for if I get the D70 VS the D50s? I know there is balanced output and while that's nice I can't take advantage of it for now because my setup is Spotify streaming (max quality) to JDS Atom to HD6xx.

Is there measurable difference between the two if using RCA output? Any audible difference?

altefrau

I even could not discern any audible (like any!) difference between my higher end mainboard and the D50s in front of my headphone amp. Be honest with yourself.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is there measurable difference between the two if using RCA output? Any audible difference?

I have both, and haven't heard any differences. If you don't need the XLR, the d50s would be my choice.

I believe the d70 measures a bit better, but both are well into the transparent range.

MattG

I just received a D70, Bluetooth version. So far, I've tested the USB and optical SPDIF inputs, works great!

However, I cannot see the D70 advertising itself via Bluetooth. I have tried my Linux PC, my Android 10 phone, and a Windows 7 laptop. None of those client devices see the D70 advertised.

I also have a Topping DX3Pro, which I was able to use via Bluetooth with all the mentioned devices. Am I missing something silly, or is there a chance I got a unit with a broken Bluetooth?

bboris77

Got my replacement D70 and hooked it up yesterday. This new unit is doing the same as the last one. When using the optical coming from my TV, everytime I change the channel on the TV, I get a popping sound. This is unacceptable. I am returning. It might measure well, but that doesnt cover real world use cases.
Did your D70 also exhibit any popping using the RCA outputs? My D70 is dead silent when switching sample rates. When I turn it on and off, I just hear the relay click in the unit but nothing through the speakers. Mine is the Bluetooth version, was yours?

kkeretic

Can someone please enlighten me on what I'm paying $150 extra for if I get the D70 VS the D50s? Any audible difference?

Two outputs (XLR/RCA or both), more inputs, integrated power supply. If you don't need these, go for D50s. I have both, bought the D50s because initially I wasn't satisfied with the bass on my sample of D70 connected to the 20 years old Fase amp + speakers. The D50s has overall better and tighter bass to my ears out of the box without messing with preamps, but since I also like the sound of D70 with tube preamp, they are both keepers. If I should only opt for one, I would choose D50s anytime because I had experienced zero loud pops with it (the D70 did that a few times), the display can be completely turned off, has Bluetooth which is a super feature to me, it is much smaller for half the price.

lecter255

Two outputs (XLR/RCA or both), more inputs, integrated power supply. If you don't need these, go for D50s. I have both, bought the D50s because initially I wasn't satisfied with the bass on my sample of D70 connected to the 20 years old Fase amp + speakers. The D50s has overall better and tighter bass to my ears out of the box without messing with preamps, but since I also like the sound of D70 with tube preamp, they are both keepers. If I should only opt for one, I would choose D50s anytime because I had experienced zero loud pops with it (the D70 did that a few times), the display can be completely turned off, has Bluetooth which is a super feature to me, it is much smaller for half the price.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Yea I think that settles it for me.

Top Bottom