• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an actual quality AVR?

database

I have external amplification but am concerned about the MiniDSP as many are.
As far as Emo, if I am going to spend $3000 I would just go to $4000 and get the HTP-1 assuming it gets tested and passes.
I thought I was getting over being picky about my sound but that has not happened and I want and expect something of decent quality.

Having said that I have looked at the T758 many times as I don't play music or movies at high level (excluding bass), but have been unable to pull the trigger.

This forum is both a blessing and a curse. Turned me on to Hypex but has shown me the shortcomings in other products.

I may have to save up for the HTP-1. But that might mean skipping a new dirt bike this year, which I get as much enjoyment out of as home theater...sigh.
No inexpensive answer here.
Just a quick update on my end, my HTP-1 arrived today and it sounds fantastic, noticeably more revealing than my Anthem MRX 720 + miniDSP DDRC-88a setup. I'm assuming this is thanks to the better performing DAC, but measurements will be needed to confirm. But I think this might be the "actual quality AVR" folks have been waiting for.

laidick

Forum Donor
Did anyone ever measure the Anthem AVM60? This is preamp without power which I believe sound quality would be better than AVR520

laidick

Forum Donor
Just a quick update on my end, my HTP-1 arrived today and it sounds fantastic, noticeably more revealing than my Anthem MRX 720 + miniDSP DDRC-88a setup. I'm assuming this is thanks to the better performing DAC, but measurements will be needed to confirm. But I think this might be the "actual quality AVR" folks have been waiting for.

Looking forward to the measurement by ASR.

onion

I have the Arcam AVR850 in one room, and a combination of Anthem MRX1120/ Lyngdorf TDAI3400 in the 'cinema room' with 3400 in 'home theater' mode. The addition of the Lyngdorf massively improved the performance of the AVR - this despite its relatively poor measurements as done here. On AV duties, the Lyngdorf drives the Fr Lt and Fr Rt speakers and the two subwoofers. I think this allows the Anthem to drive the other speakers better ((5,2,4 setup).

For music listening, there is no comparison. I originally got the Arcam as a single-box solution for music and movies. The Lyngdorf is far far better for music and does a good job of room correction driving a 2+2 speaker setup.

My conclusions:
- it will always be better to have a separate amp for music.
- Room correction is a big deal (here RoomPerfect and Anthem Room Correction are easy, RoomPerfect is superior to ARC, Dirac is fiddly and poorly implemented by Arcam due to bass module limitations but probably more powerful when configured by an expert)
- stereo subwoofers combined with cinema speakers and room correction can attain the quality of full-range speakers for music listening. Anyone thinking of listening to music through their AV setup should have a front lt and rt subwoofer that is driven by a stereo amp that room-corrects

syswei

How are you liking your HTP-1 at this point? Maybe you could consider lending your unit to amirm so that he could measure it?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How are you liking your HTP-1 at this point? Maybe you could consider lending your unit to amirm so that he could measure it?

I ordered one and had it delivered to him, so he has one in the queue. My only request was that he review it before the return window closes, so if it ends up disappointing I can send it back...

I'd expect to see it in the next couple of weeks...

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD T 778:
64c388a71b06907795e1196ad5455e6a_3x3.jpg

9-channels of Hypex N-Core amplification and Dirac Live including bass management for two subs.

Martin

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
NAD T 778:

9-channels of Hypex N-Core amplification and Dirac Live including bass management for two subs.

Martin
Is the NAD 778 shipping yet? Info online still seems a little spotty and certain details unclear.

SynthesisCinema

NAD T 778:

Martin

First review is out now! You have to use google translator as it´s written in French.
https://translate.google.com/transl...s://blog.son-video.com/2020/02/test-nad-t778/

For the lazy ones;

A successful cross between the NAD T777 V3 home cinema amplifier and the NAD M10 connected stereo amplifier, the NAD T778 brilliantly combines the best of both worlds. Its HybridDigital nCore amplification works wonders on both surround soundtracks for Dolby and DTS movies and Hi-Res stereo audio files. Textured, detailed, nuanced and dynamic, the sound produced is realistic and deploys widely, in 5.1 as in stereo.

We liked
  • Dynamism at low and high volume
  • The large reserve of available power
  • Precise spatialization in home cinema
  • Neutral and balanced stereo listening
  • Integration of streaming services with BluOS
  • The large color touch screen
We'd have liked
  • That the on-screen menus be available in French
  • A slightly simpler remote control

abbazaba

My NAD T175HD is on the way out and I find myself here, depressed by the lack of quality electronics out there for home theater. Is there any kind of consensus on what 5.1ch+ unit tested best for SQ when used as a pre/pro? I don't mind the idea of using something integrated, but I already have a good clean amp so the analog/digital conversion is really my focus. I love the T175HD sound, but the reliability and issues were many.

carlob

Forum Donor
It’s available for preorder. I think it starts shipping in March.

I was waiting for this product but it seems that it has only one 4K HDMI out which is a deal breaker for me (I have a 4k tv and 4k projector)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was waiting for this product but it seems that it has only one 4K HDMI out which is a deal breaker for me (I have a 4k tv and 4k projector)

That’s a ridiculous limitation for a top of the line AVR in 2020. Luckily, I only need one. I’m waiting 6-12 months to pick up a refurbished unit when they become available.

Martin

UCrazyKid

Anthem

carlob

Forum Donor

Anthem stuff should be good but is 5 years old, correct me if I'm wrong but the MRX line of receivers were launched in 2015 as well as the AVM 60 pre-processor. Maybe is time to bring to the market something new?

UCrazyKid

Anthem stuff should be good but is 5 years old, correct me if I'm wrong but the MRX line of receivers were launched in 2015 as well as the AVM 60 pre-processor. Maybe is time to bring to the market something new?
Let your ears decide. The audio standards have not changed since Atmos was introduced. The ARC algorithm is run from your computer and then settings are uploaded to your AVR. This allows Anthem update their DSP at anything and push the updated improvements back to their AVRs. This allows their products a much longer market life.

nugget

Forum Donor
I've got an Anthem MRX1120 that I've had since launch. I'm really happy with it, and I agree with @UCrazyKid that there really isn't any new tech that it lacks. They're HDMI 20.a and not HDMI 2.1, but I don't think there's really much practical difference between those two at this time or for the foreseeable future. About the only thing that I see lacking in the MRX is enhanced audio return channel (eARC) where the MRX just has the earlier generation ARC (not to be confused with Anthem's ARC room correction) and isn't capable of lossless pass-back from a television to the AVR. If you make use of display-based apps for content that are capable of lossless pass-back to the AVR (I'm not aware of any, but I'm sure they exist somewhere) you would be limited by that.

I'm extremely impressed by Anthem's room correction as compared to Denon's Audessey. Since it is computer-based it's seen significant upgrades over the years, in particular with last year's release of ARC Genesis. In that regard, the room correction in the MRX/AVM is really brand-new.

Top Bottom