• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

Sinquito

Hello

Anybody here who tried the Nx4 with a 600ohm headphone like the Beyerdynamic T1?
I have a LakePeople headphone amp at my workdesk, but I am searching for a second amp for my smartphone.
Tx in advance.
Marko

I don't have a 600 ohm headphone, but my HD600 (300 ohm) and DT1990 (250 ohm) sounds terrific through the NX4 DSD, even in low gain you don't need to go past 1 o'clock on the pot (maxes on 5:30 o so), in high gain I would use them on 11:30 or so. For the price and the power I don't think it can be bested, but for me is a bit big to be truly portable.

Sinquito

can you please tell me if nx4dsd uses ad8610 op amp like their nx5 amp. Zooming in the picture blurs everything so i cant read the marking on chips.
Based on that attached picture, I think that the OPAMPs used there are the OPA1652 and OPA1688, in any case, they appear to be all Texas Instruments by the logo on the DIP IC, so no Analog Devices that I can see.

GeorgeWalk

Hello

Anybody here who tried the Nx4 with a 600ohm headphone like the Beyerdynamic T1?
I have a LakePeople headphone amp at my workdesk, but I am searching for a second amp for my smartphone.
Tx in advance.
Marko

I used it with my Beyerdynamic DT-880 (250 ohm) and it was fine. I never turned the volume past 9-10 o'clock without the gain.

GermanViking

I don't have a 600 ohm headphone, but my HD600 (300 ohm) and DT1990 (250 ohm) sounds terrific through the NX4 DSD, even in low gain you don't need to go past 1 o'clock on the pot (maxes on 5:30 o so), in high gain I would use them on 11:30 or so. For the price and the power I don't think it can be bested, but for me is a bit big to be truly portable.
I used it with my Beyerdynamic DT-880 (250 ohm) and it was fine. I never turned the volume past 9-10 o'clock without the gain.

Thank you both...

Asylum Seeker

Just got this, specifically to drive 250 Ohm DT880s and DT770s. This thing is a little beast. 3 o'clock on High gain is sufficient for pre-Loudness Wars recordings like The Wall. Good stuff!

$110 new from Indonesia's Tokopedia.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

also this dac has the typical ESS hump?
Let's assume it does. The next question is - is it audible to the human hearing apparatus?

Zala DK

Forum Donor
@amirm
How to you think it would work if this Topping, is used to feed a power amp directly (IcePower).
Thanks in advance :)

Asylum Seeker

I've got a USB-C to micro USB cable that transmits power. I've been wanting to use this cable with the NX4 but I am afraid I may fry it if I plug it into the NX 4's USB-in micro-usb plug. Any ideas?

c69k

What a great forum !!!!

I just received cable FiiO CL06 - OTG Kabel - USB-C to Micro-USB from Amazon.de for 15 eur. Took full 11 days to receive.

The stock NX4 DSD cable started already showing naked wires after 2 weeks of usage (its cold in Amsterdam at night) and connection was dropping out pretty often on micro USB side because of its pretty clumsy male cable connector.

With the CL 06, both usbs 'click' inside when inserted, I tried to move the cable to check stability of connection, as if I had it in my pocket and looked for smokes but realised that they are in the other pocket :facepalm: Completely stable connection even after wiggled a bit. I am using NX4 DSD with Samsung Galaxy A 40 and HiBy (software) music player.

I also ordered another USB C to Micro USB cable (Shanling L2 Type-C to Micro USB Hifi Audio Decord Adapter Cable) from Hifigo.com for 25 USD and 5 USD shipping to Amsterdam. Will let you know how it does when I receive it.

Peace from _\|/_ .

Last edited:

Daimiel

HI! I have the Shanling L2 and there are much diference betwen the standard cable. For me it's well worth.

c69k

HI! I have the Shanling L2 and there are much diference betwen the standard cable. For me it's well worth.

Yes, I still find both stock and Fiio CL06 cables having very stiff cable. Stock having very cheap Micro USB connector on top of it. For now, Fioo CL06 cable plays perfect, because I am inside, but as soon as I get out to temperatures 0-5C the true quality (of connection stability) will show up.

I really believe Shanling L2 is the endgame !!! I have 2 IEMs with 16 core braided cables and they do not stress the connectors at all.

Thanx for letting me know.

c69k

Re. post above ... I had disconnections with Fiio CL06 cable while riding skateboard through Amsterdam last night and this morning. Pretty annoying.

Got home, looked more closely, and, when inserted, the plastic connector part holding micro USB male does not sit flush with the metal body of NX4 DSD, there is a 1.5-2mm gap (!), as if the metal part of connector itself were too long. The same gap is with stock cable.

I took an old credit card and cut out a piece size of an old format of sim card with cut out for micro USB port to fill the gap. Glued with double-sided tape to the NX4 DSD body. Now connection seems super stable trying to wiggle the cable with fingers.

This quick mod looks terrible on a photo LOL, but in reality it is okey.

If I get no disconnections tonight and tomorrow morning (working night shift), I will make it looking very nice:facepalm:.

Still 2 weeks to wait for Shanling L2 cable, I hope I can listen to some music without the @#$@#$ interruptions.

Xxx

Edit:
yes, this was the problem on my unit. Connection is now fully stable in the street having phone&nx4 dsd sandwich in front pocket of my jogging pants.

Edit 2:
I received Shanling L2 cable (30 USD from Hifigo.com incl. 5 USD shipping, delivery to the Netherlands took 12 calendar days.) and it is simply awesome.

When it is connected, it has the white cable from micro USB connector leading direction to the charging micro USB, which is perfect (the Fiio CL06 cable, unfortunately, leads the other way).

After connecting the micro USB side, there is also a gap of 1-2 mm as with the other 2 cables as described above. The cable is much softer than Fiio CL06 and/or the stock NX4 DSD cable, but not as soft as braided 8-16 core cables for an IEM.

Re. Sound:) Shanling L2 made my IEMs sound much more clear, the soundstage is leading to subbass and back through highs to support the mids ... JustKidding:)

Edit 3:
Tested on the street a few days, fell on skateboard HARD (rolling), I have not had ONE interruption with this (Shanling L2) cable!!!

Attachments

• 20200406_095144.jpg
    20200406_095144.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
This amp is enough for what I need. Now to figure out if I should get the topping d30 and jds lab atom or not. Hows the overall quality sound wise for those who have it?

ZenTraveler

Hows the overall quality sound wise for those who have it?
Compared this with DX3 Pro, there's no audible difference on the sound as measured using my ear.

But this is more of a portable device with battery. I would assume it's not suitable for daily long hours playback and keep it running the whole day unlike desktop DAC AMP. Battery also will degrade over time.

velasfloyd

I bought this dac/amp. Its beauty, small, nice...

but I found the volume knob to be quite difficult to use. It is hard to move and it is difficult to handle... like limited by the aluminium body... I dont find that part well designed at all. Bad UX experience.... it is just me?

for example, I love the knob of the xduoo xd-05... easy to reach and a pleasure to rotate.

c69k

I have Sony IEMs rated at max. input of 500 mW at 16 Ohm.

NX4 DSD has output 293mW max. at 32 Ohm.

Do you know what max. output NX4 DSD gives at 16 Ohm?

Last edited:
Top Bottom