• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

wje

Forum Donor
My 2 Behringer amps - The A500 and A800.

Behringer Amps.JPG

m8o

Forum Donor
I have an ADA 6 channel amp (50wpc gainclones) with a fan that sounds like a car's radiator fan with the A/C running on a hot summer day. This recent fan talk reminds me I need to do something about that! ;)

wje

Forum Donor
I see you have gain at max. What are the level out from receiver for you subs preout?

Actually, on my Pioneer SC.81 receiver, I am using the pre-outs that then feed into a MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Then, the sinal is split 4 ways: Left input for the amp, Right input for the amp, and the additional 2 outputs go to my subwoofers. This permits me to run the Pioneer Elite in Pure Direct mode and power my subs too while in that mode. On the Pioneer Elite, I have the L/R signals at +6 and some input gain and output level set in the MiniDSP. With all of this configure in that manner, the first LED on the Bheringer rarely lights up when I listen to music at a normal volume level which is about 99% of the time with my listening.

Niklasmagnus

Actually, on my Pioneer SC.81 receiver, I am using the pre-outs that then feed into a MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Then, the sinal is split 4 ways: Left input for the amp, Right input for the amp, and the additional 2 outputs go to my subwoofers. This permits me to run the Pioneer Elite in Pure Direct mode and power my subs too while in that mode. On the Pioneer Elite, I have the L/R signals at +6 and some input gain and output level set in the MiniDSP. With all of this configure in that manner, the first LED on the Bheringer rarely lights up when I listen to music at a normal volume level which is about 99% of the time with my listening.

Okey, I also have a MiniDSP between AVR and amp so I will try to play with the output gain from MiniDSP and check if I will get more power. At the moment AVR preout is +2db, MiniDSP preout maxed and A800 3 o’clock

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
Okey, I also have a MiniDSP between AVR and amp so I will try to play with the output gain from MiniDSP and check if I will get more power. At the moment AVR preout is +2db, MiniDSP preout maxed and A800 3 o’clock

Also, this past week, I switched from RCA cables to RCA/XLR between the MiniDSP and the A800. However, I have to now bump the volume of the Pioneer by about 10 more levels. The XLR inputs in the A800, as well as most other balanced amps, have higher resistance. I was just curious to see how the experiment would work out. If you are currently using just regular RCA cables, then I'd suggest staying with them. Though, in reality, I didn't buy the RCA/XLR cables for the A800, but for use with other audio amps in the future and if I decide to get the NX6000D tomorrow if the seller is available.

HemiRick

RCA cables are meant to work @ 2 volts and XLR are 4V, that is the difference you're hearing, and why the volume had to be adjusted.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
I caught your YouTube video reviews today. For my A800, I'm using it to drive a pair of JBL 530 speakers. I rarely get it loud enough to get the first LEDs to light up - unlike your review when you plugged a CD player into the amp and had it peaking. Also, on your 2nd video on the NX1000D amp, did you get it resolved? I'm curious on how the "NX" series performs as a music amp. I have an NX6000D waiting for me, but the guy isn't available until Sunday to transact.

I was not able to get the NX1000D repaired. Sold it as is. The little I did get to listen was pretty good but the A800 seemed more accurate which makes since. I believe the NX line has pretty much the same amp as the iNuke line. If your getting a good deal on it I'd go for it. Plenty of power and the NX software gives you some good DSP options. These two amps don't compete in the same space necessarily. The A800 is a studio reference amp and the NX6000D is a pro audio power amp. Both good amps but different use cases.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The NX is essentially a iNuke + impedance compensation.
I don't think you can compare them to the A800 SQ wise.

wje

Forum Donor
I was not able to get the NX1000D repaired. Sold it as is. The little I did get to listen was pretty good but the A800 seemed more accurate which makes since. I believe the NX line has pretty much the same amp as the iNuke line. If your getting a good deal on it I'd go for it. Plenty of power and the NX software gives you some good DSP options. These two amps don't compete in the same space necessarily. The A800 is a studio reference amp and the NX6000D is a pro audio power amp. Both good amps but different use cases.

The NX is essentially a iNuke + impedance compensation.
I don't think you can compare them to the A800 SQ wise.

Correct. I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison. However, after spending some time with the A500, A800 and NX6000D, I can offer the following observations between the A800 and NX6000D. I was able to purchase an NX6000D, locally, that had been used only one time as a guy was getting out of the DJ business. The amp came with the box and still had the plastic on the front panels. At $280, it was worth giving it a try.

The NX6000D. I have it paired with my JBL 530 speakers and have noticed a bit more emphasis in the sound of the mids and high frequencies. Granted, not in an irritating manner, but it is a bit more pronounced than the A800 amplifier demonstrated. The fans? Audible if you're within 2 feet of the amplifier when it's running. Obviously, a fan replacement is in order. For inputs, I did have to purchase a pair of RCA to XRL connectors for my use, but could have also used 1/4" TS connectors as an input option too. For outputs, I did have to purchase 2 Speakon connectors so that I could modify a pair of speaker cables for use with the amp. The amp is incredibly powerful and I currently have the gain settings at about 3/4 and the first level LED indicators are not even lighting up during normal level listening sessions - I usually listen at a reasonable level as I reside in a condominium.

The AD800 amplifier is a solid amp. Good sound. Can use existing RCA cables for input, as well as speakers cables with banana plugs for output. In many ways the AD800 sounds like my AD500, but the AD800 obviously has a bit more power.

Later tonight, I hope to try a pair of Paradigm SB200 speakers for more sound evaluation. While the SB200 has been a speaker that hasn't gotten much praise for its low end, the mids and highs appear to perform quite well with a good sound stage - according to reviews that I've read.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for your input.
How would you compare the A800 and the NX in the bass region?

wje

Forum Donor
Thanks for your input.

Up until now, all my listening has been done with the use of 2 10" Monolith subs that are introduced at 70 Hz. Though, later this evening, I will turn off the subs and capture some more impressions on how the amps perform with just the main speakers - no subs involved.

wje

Forum Donor
Thanks for your input.

I had more time last evening to put the NX6000D through the paces. Initially, when I installed the amplifier on Sunday afternoon, I felt the mid-range and upper frequencies were a bit more pronounced than the A800 and A500 Behringer amplifiers. However, as time went along, I came to realize this wasn't really the case. I don't think the amp had any initial hours logged on it after the original user purchased it. Was it equipment burn-in? I can't completely say - as there are a few schools of thought when it comes to speaker and equipment burn-in. However, after using the amp for a good 12+ hour period of music being played, the sound I heard was pleasant, and to my ears, not much different at all when compared to the A800, A500 and even my Cambridge Audio 851W. Last evening, I shut down both of my subwoofers and utilized just my JBL 530 speakers and the Paradigm 200B speakers. Both speakers have a bottom end frequency of about 50 Hz. The NX6000D seemed to handle the bass quite well through just the speakers - no sub in the picture. Granted, I would have loved to have some of my previous speakers (Focal 1027BE, 1037BE, GoldenEar Triton 3+, etc.) to check how the bass would be produced down in the 35 Hz range, but I'm strictly a stand-mount/bookshelf speaker person at this period of time since I'm in a condominium and no longer require larger speakers to fill up 750 S.F. listening spaces. I will install the quieter 80mm fans that arrived from Amazon today and keep the NX6000D in my system setup. Granted, I'm only doing so because the amp was $280. It's an amp with lots of power and overkill for my needs, but in the end, it will still about $40 less than the A800 that I purchased, taxes included. Enjoy!!

wje

Forum Donor
My 2 Noctua (15 dB) fans arrived yesterday. Installed them, soldered them, shrink-wrapped the wires, etc. Powered it on and the amps would just attempt to spin. They'd start if I were to give them a slight spin with the finger. The factory NMB "noisemaker" fans were marked @ 12V. Thus, I bought a pair of Noctua fans, 12V, cut the leads and then realized the issue after pulling out the voltmeter. Behringer is just sending a 5V signal to the amps. Being down $21 already for the Noctua fans, I was a bit hesitant to spend $33 more in their 5V (17.5dB) versions. Found the Insignia at Best Buy for $11.00 for the pair - one was an open box. 22dB of noise. Installed everything and even bought a sheet of adhesive craft foam to install on the inside of the top metal lid to contain the noise a bit more - but, not worried that it will lock in heat. It's great not having the NMB fans in there that I could actually hear from my listening chair at 9 feet away - after the amp was used for a few days. Just tossing this out there in the event anyone else does a fan mod on one of their power amps. Check the voltage with a voltmeter first and don't just look at the print on the existing fan.

Computer Case fans.JPG

hansik

Thanks for informing us, I didn't know the NX6000D has 5V fans vs the Inuke's 12V. I plan buying 2 NX6000Ds in a few months.

wje

Forum Donor
Most Noctua fans will work with only 5 volts, just at a much lower rpm level. You can by 5v Noctua fans to begin with and not have to worry about not having enough voltage.

Ironically, the ones I bought wouldn't successfully start up on their own. Once I spun them, they'd run. I even left them running a few hours to see if that would change the situation. Powered off the amp, then back on - the fans would just turn 1/8th of turn and attempt to start, but no go. I would have bought the 5V Noctura fans from the start if I knew. But being that I cut the wires and wasted $21.00 on the 2 12V fans, I didn't want to spring for $32 more for the 5V Nocturas, which are a little more than the 12V versions. I love Noctura, though. Nicely made product.

hansik

I just ordered 2 more A800's. They are on sale for 151 Euro. For some strange reason that's half the price in the US, maybe it's a mistake so quickly ordered. Normally we're always punished in Europe with prices 30% higher.

ThsM

In Germany the price just went up from 169€ to 179€. But currently it's out of stock in most of the shops.

wje

Forum Donor
I just ordered 2 more A800's. They are on sale for 151 Euro. For some strange reason that's half the price in the US, maybe it's a mistake so quickly ordered. Normally we're always punished in Europe with prices 30% higher.

Wow, that's an excellent price!!

Top Bottom