• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Vintage57

Forum Donor
The 8361 shows worse performance as per their own measurements. the 8351 is better.
There Main Monitors are all worse looking (trade-of for high SPL and bass).

I wasn’t aware, thanks.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
boy howdy. That is impressive.

Their website claims the amplification is " 250W Bass (Class D) + 150W Midrange (Class D) + 150W Treble (Class D) ". How is this not enough power?
Between any signal processing and the intrinsic electrical efficiency of the drivers, those watts get invested pretty heavily with limited return on investment in terms of SPL (but much more in terms of flatness of response). Looks like an example of Hoffman's Iron Law to me. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Their website claims the amplification is " 250W Bass (Class D) + 150W Midrange (Class D) + 150W Treble (Class D) ". How is this not enough power?
They may be applying a lot of boost to correct issues in the woofer, causing it to run out of juice. The evidence of the red LED coming on though is hard to dispute. Unless you want to dispute my hearing. :)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They may be applying a lot of boost to correct issues in the woofer, causing it to run out of juice. The evidence of the red LED coming on though is hard to dispute. Unless you want to dispute my hearing. :)

In this case, since 'it doesnt get loud enough' seems to be the only real issue, it might be good to do a basic measurement of what SPL is required at 1m to get the red light to turn on.

That would help people evaluate whether it's really "loud enough" for their own standards. I have noticed in various posts on here that people listen at quite significantly varying volumes, between ~70db to as high as 90-95db(above HT reference ?!?!).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
$6000 for speakers and they don't even get that loud?
I suppose these are really for "studio" work and should be a hard pass for everyone else.
$6000 is really a joke price to pay for any piece of audio equipment unless its specifically for music production where they are delivering something of "reference" that can be used for mastering.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In this case, since 'it doesnt get loud enough' seems to be the only real issue, it might be good to do a basic measurement of what SPL is required at 1m to get the red light to turn on.
I am hesitant to run steady state signals in such conditions. This is not a cheap speaker to replace!

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In another thread I wrote that small studio monitors are engineered for studio use and most of the time, even if they perform flawlessy, are not that good for home use in particular if your listening point is 2/3 meters away or if you have a mid/large size room. Seems to me that it's confirmed. Benchmark FR but at 1 meter.

Tks

Major Contributor
$6000 for speakers and they don't even get that loud?
I suppose these are really for "studio" work and should be a hard pass for everyone else.
$6000 is really a joke price to pay for any piece of audio equipment unless its specifically for music production where they are delivering something of "reference" that can be used for mastering.

I'm one of those people who thinks everything is too loud these days in terms of audio.

These sound right up my alley, though that price... ehh, I'm not too sure

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From Genelec specs:
"Long term max SPL ≥101 dB
Maximum long term RMS acoustic output in the same conditions with IEC weighted noise (limited by driver protection circuit) at 1 m."

1032C is given for 104dB for same measurement, and, in my office, a pair can be... VERY loud at 1.5m.
RED light may appear though, on some bass-heavy content.
101dB is half the power...

aarons915

Forum Donor
SPL with a stereo pair will be higher anyway...

Not only that but high passing them at 80Hz probably takes a huge load off of them anyway, I'm sure they get plenty loud with subwoofers in the mix. We also have no idea how loud they were playing before the light came on, it could have been louder than 99% of us listen, in which case it doesn't really matter.

thefsb

I know those beasts.
They are very impressive to listen to.
Or, rather, to listen through.
If Amir gets it on the Spinorama, I want to see a video of the install.

Top Bottom