• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Science: Are You Consistant in Your Views?

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I a 0 or am I a 1?

Ah, you jest, but is the joke on you? You‘re a stream of 1s an 0s trapped in something we would think of as two-dimensional space, but that you perceive as being three-dimensional (thus it‘s holographic). Your life is a simulation. There are no infinities—that’s an artificial construct of our minds [edit: or there are and it isn’t]. This model appears to be an increasing point of convergence between several fields of theoretical physics and computer science. It does resolve some problems at the quantum level. It would seem to have little use for gravity. The earth really is flat, and so is everything else. Good luck. :)

[Edit: or read gikigill’s answer below—probably more fact-based and less fanciful musings.]

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Am I a 0 or am I a 1?
After all these years and you still don't know?
Maybe it's a senior condition?
Now I know why you listen to that strange music. :p

gikigill

Ah, you jest, but is the joke on you? You‘re a stream of 1s an 0s trapped in something we would think of as two-dimensional space, but that you perceive as being three-dimensional (thus it‘s holographic). Your life is a simulation. There are no infinities—that’s an artificial construct of our minds. This model appears to be an increasing point of convergence between several fields of theoretical physics and computer science. It does resolve some problems at the quantum level. It would seem to have little use for gravity. The earth really is flat, and so is everything else. Good luck. :)

[Edit: or read gikigill’s answer below—probably more fact-based and less fanciful musings.]

The reason gravity wouldn't be a prominent feature of a holographic universe is because a holographic universe will finally solve the quantum mechanics battle with gravity. It might or might not feature a graviton but QM and Gravity will be reconciled and that my friend is not a day I look forward to.

QFT doesnt jive with Gravitons and String theory proposes them to be massless, a scary thought that something that itself doesn't have mass can control the entire Universe and bodies that are a trillion times heavier than our Sun. The sheer gravitational force of a magnatar or a black hole is made up of something that, for all intents and purposes, itself doesn't have an existence.

I have enough existential crisis's as it is, I don't need to battle the motherlode of all existential crisis, the fact that my reality is just a giant movie being broadcast from some other portion of the universe and I don't even get to pick my own part.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
To say a theory is “proven” is simply not the language of science. And for good reason.
:) Sort of like Failing to reject the null hypothesis in statistics.
Now... statistics... that I know an itty-bitty bit about -- but it was only in self defense, to beat back mis- and overinterpretation of data (typically "trends") by colleagues :confused:

Am I a 0 or am I a 1?
Have you ever read Gravity's Rainbow?
If there is a focus to that wacky, profane, and sprawling relic of its time* (one of my favorite novels, still) -- it is all about everything that transpires between the zero and the one (i.e., between the two poles of certainty). :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm seriously worried about some people on this forum. :facepalm:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm seriously worried about some people on this forum. :facepalm:

Does it really bother you seeing anyone here thinking through and discussing some deeper issues, as discussed in the thread?

Why?

This forum is practically your "safe space" if you are that worried about how people think, relative to many other forums.

Putter

Forum Donor
Probably completely OT, but the first thing that I think of in this thread (enough to wade through 5 pages of discussion) is the quote from Richard P. Feynman "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. "

Again somewhat OT, but the Feynman quote sums up the current state of Audiophilia in a nutshell, i.e. especially because it's OK to fool yourself because it's only you. The problem is that they then go out on websites insisting that they are infallible in their observation which as Mr. Feynman points out is not the case.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
...- it is all about everything that transpires between the zero and the one (i.e., between the two poles of certainty). :)

That would be a great name for a strip club...

Poles of Certainty

The 0 pole on one side of the stage, the 1 pole on the other...

I'm not deep enough for much of the rest, I'm thinking...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't do physics -- too much maths....
Me? Just a biochemist. Light on the maths.

"A biochemist is someone who has to open his fly to count to 11."

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"A biochemist is someone who has to open his fly to count to 11."
I often used to say that I didn't know enough chemistry to be a chemist, nor enough biology to be a biologist, so I became a biochemist.
This used to p!$$ off my thesis advisor to no end. :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does it really bother you seeing anyone here thinking through and discussing some deeper issues, as discussed in the thread?

Why?

This forum is practically your "safe space" if you are that worried about how people think, relative to many other forums.
Leave it to a vinyl guy not to recognize a bit of sarcasm/humor when he reads it. LOL

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I often used to say that I didn't know enough chemistry to be a chemist, nor enough biology to be a biologist, so I became a biochemist.
This used to p!$$ off my thesis advisor to no end. :cool:

I say something similar: "I know enough physics to be able to make a chemist think I'm a physicist, and enough chemistry to make a physicist think I'm a chemist." Since my dissertation advisor wrote one of the fundamental texts on quantum mechanics in chemistry, this didn't seem to bother him.:D

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(edited)

Leave it to a vinyl guy not to recognize a bit of sarcasm/humor when he reads it. LOL

^^^^
Leave it to a Harley Guy to constantly complain about other people enjoying their outdated technology. :p

If this stuff goes too deep, there's always the Harley forums... ;)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
edison_cyl.jpg

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here’s some U.S. Public Broadcasting Service programmimg on the holographic universe, with linked access to several episodes of relevant background information:

Last edited:
Top Bottom