• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Panthers

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Headless Panther
The fear of audio companies - this headless panther signifies a poorly engineered product. Measurements of the product typically show bottom-of-the-pile performance and/or false claims by the product vendor. Sometimes the product is broken in a way that lends it unusable or unpleasant to use.
1582070381125.png

Shrugging Panther
The shrugging panther shows a product that has somewhat respectable measurements but fails to break into the top tiers of performance. Nothing is inherently broken with the product but performance is not particularly awe-inspiring.
1582070796091.png
1582070903038.png

Hand-in-my-kid's-piggybank Panther
This panther is usually reserved for snake-oil level products. Manufacturers of these products make ridiculous claims and sell the fraudulent wares to unsuspecting customers for mega bucks. The measurements debunk these claims and the product is punished by a ruthless review.
1582071105179.png

Happily-lounging Panther
This panther is awarded to products that show well-above average performance and (sometimes) good value for the customer. All measurements of the product show good but not top-of-the-line performance. This usually signifies that the manufacturer paid attention to good engineering practices and put out a well-measuring, well-performing product. Sometimes the forum is blessed with a sideways view of the happily-lounging panther.
1582071327556.png
1582071357298.png

Golfing Panther
A source of pride for manufacturers, this panther is reserved for products with top-of-the-line performance. These products measure superbly well in all metrics and are well-made. While the golfing panther misses his shot, the products it is awarded to kill it.
1582071605218.png

Soccer Panther
The soccer panther is the golfing panther's cousin. He is from Europe.
1582072136795.png

Saluting-Soldier Panther
Another top-tier marker, the saluting-soldier panther is related to the golfing and soccer panthers. He, too, used to live in Europe but has left the union as of 31 January 2020.
1582075855385.png

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Soccer panther equals golf panther for EU products he said once. Interesting choice.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dang... missed another one. How would you describe the Saluting Soldier panther?
That's also top tier, reserved for British/EU products.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Pretty clever. Amir, just don't get into any trouble with any sort of intellectual property type of infringement. I'd hate to see that happen to any of the panthers... errrrrr, I mean you.:)

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TungstenC

Some of the missing panthers ;)

Pewter Panther
Possibly Hand-in-my-kid's-piggybank Panther cousin?

Pewter Panther.jpg

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audioquest-jitterbug-usb-filter-review.10205/

Shrugging Postman Panther
Appears to be used interchangeably with the Shrugging Panther. Possibly Shrugging Panther on the job, picking up Amirm's mail and packages.
Postman Panther.jpg

Chilling Panther

Cushioned Panther.jpg
Cushioned Panther3.jpgCushioned Panther2.jpg

Sitting Panther

Sitting Panther.jpg

*descriptions will come, decrypting the codes...

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Speaking of panthers...

From the Bard of Baltimore, check that (that was H.L. Mencken), let's call him Baltimore's Poet Laureate (which isn't correct, either), Ogden Nash.
The Panther.

A panther is like a leopard
except it hasn't been peppered
should you behold a panther crouch
prepare to say ouch
better yet, if called by a panther
don't anther.
source: https://wiki.c2.com/?OgdenNash

martin900

A company named Royal Orleans made the ceramic figurines back in the early 1980s. Ebay is probably the easiest source now, but some are pretty rare. Too many got their heads broken off, I imagine. :oops:

Ouch, might have to settle on a broken one then :facepalm:

goldark

Forum Donor
What about the shrugging panther with a missing arm? Guessing that's somewhere between the headless panther and the shrugging panther?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of panthers...

From the Bard of Baltimore, check that (that was H.L. Mencken), let's call him Baltimore's Poet Laureate (which isn't correct, either), Ogden Nash.
The Panther.

source: https://wiki.c2.com/?OgdenNash

I remember that poem from grade school. I told my son as he was growing up that if he ever sees a panther knocking on the door to not anther.

Martin

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I remember that poem from grade school. I told my son as he was growing up that if he ever sees a panther knocking on the door to not anther.

Martin
That is indeed sage advice; you are a good dad. :cool:

Top Bottom