• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

TommyTwoTone

EDIT: There is a setting in the menu to override the low level muting. The output clips though. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...me-theater-processor-review.11416/post-326504

EDIT: an obscure setting fixes the linearity/muting issue. This setting should be the default, not the other way around. I am still bothered by lack luster output level and distortion for a $4,000 product. So not changing my recommendation. Buy this product because you want its features, not because you think the $4,000 is bringing you superlative objective audio performance. There are $150 stereo DACs that easily outperform it on that front.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

If changing to the biased setting provided better compatibility with the test hardware why not edit the the OP directly and remove the results and comments in the conclusion about 24 bit audio being truncated? Should it be set that way from the factory? If it has value in real world applications why not formally recommend setting it that way within the review in the interest of the end user getting the most out of their equipment?

I'd also like to see comparative data against other 11ch+ AVP's and AVR's for Dynamic Range, Multitone Performance, Wideband/Intermodulation Distortion, Frequency/Filter Response, and Jitter, similar to your chart comparing DAC performance. This is coming from a consumer, and I firmly believe other consumers agree with me, I don't give a rats behind how an AVP/AVR compares to a 2 channel DAC. No one is going to buy an AVR/AVP if a DAC on a USB dongle is going to satisfy their needs. Should audio performance be a higher priority in AVP's? Absolutely! Can an AVR/AVP be produced that rivals the audio performance of electronics with a fraction of the feature-set? Hopefully we'll see that day before old age dulls our senses beyond our ability to enjoy it. I agree with you there is tremendous room for improvement but if you want to provide value to the consumers focus less on bashing the industry and focus more on comparing competing devices.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok I presumed you had Dirac SW so you could run with your mic kit. If not, no worries.
I can do that but then what would I measure? Response would change drastically.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If changing to the biased setting provided better compatibility with the test hardware why not edit the the OP directly and remove the results and comments in the conclusion about 24 bit audio being truncated?
It didn't provide "compatibility with test hardware." It made it work correctly as in actually reproducing low value 24-bit PCM samples.

I can't edit the OP because it will then make the less of the thread not make sense for future readers. I could also get accused of modifying posts/reviews after the fact to help hardware companies, etc.

Look at stereophile reviews with same policy. They publish manufacturer response separately but don't go back and scratch the review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd also like to see comparative data against other 11ch+ AVP's and AVR's for Dynamic Range, Multitone Performance, Wideband/Intermodulation Distortion, Frequency/Filter Response, and Jitter, similar to your chart comparing DAC performance.
You can make your own comparisons by pulling up the other reviews. Most of the other measurements do not have a single value metric to stick easily in a table. So you have to pull up the graphs and look. Indeed, we don't make that too easy so that people go and read the reviews in depth.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is coming from a consumer, and I firmly believe other consumers agree with me, I don't give a rats behind how an AVP/AVR compares to a 2 channel DAC.
Who the heck do you thin the rest of us are? Dishwashers? I have had a home theater since 1997 with external processor (Lexicon MC-1). I know what I want when I bough thousands of dollars worth of outboard decoding and DAC. If you don't care, then go find some other outlets that does your type of reviews.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get the AES or AVB digital version of the Stormsudio ISP now to do digital out to up to 32 Processing Channels and 16 Atmos Decoded channels of about 12 Months now and even longer for the Trinnov Altitude 32 that allow digital out for 16 of it's 32 Channels, but you pay quite a bit more than for a HTP-1. Not sure how much the the SDP-55 costs, but assume will be somewhere in between the HTP-1 and the Stormaudio ISP.

Yea I was aware of those other options but I'm pretty sure they're all >$10K if not >$15k... at least those are the prices I could find. So outside of this market segment, pretty much. The JBL SDP-55's MSRP is slated to be $6000.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree with you there is tremendous room for improvement but if you want to provide value to the consumers focus less on bashing the industry and focus more on comparing competing devices.
I review what members send me to test. I don't put my hand out there for companies to loan me gear. If you want something else tested, then send it to me. If you don't have it but someone else has, then ask them to send it to me. Otherwise, the data we have is the data we have.

As to bashing the industry, that is my job when they don't do their job. A $4,000 piece of equipment that doesn't have a single measurement? Are you kidding me? You want me to kiss them for doing us that favor? This industry needs shaking up to build properly engineered gear. You don't want to be part of that, then again, move along. I am not here to do cursory testing and grade on a curve. I know what it takes to do things right. I am not going to close my eyes and lie to you all and make it like it is an impossible thing to spit out 4 volts out of a DAC.

When I first started testing 2-channel gear and found equipment that didn't perform, there were a lot of protests like yours and Marc's. But then companies took notice and in span of a year, we started to get far, far improved products. This, from the same companies that were kicking and screaming, blaming my tests for not being good, me being their enemy, etc., etc. Without the type of testing I am bringing, nothing will improve.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It didn't provide "compatibility with test hardware." It made it work correctly as in actually reproducing low value 24-bit PCM samples.

I can't edit the OP because it will then make the less of the thread not make sense for future readers. I could also get accused of modifying posts/reviews after the fact to help hardware companies, etc.

Look at stereophile reviews with same policy. They publish manufacturer response separately but don't go back and scratch the review.
Well, that seems to be a bit overstated - you have edited reviews to correct errors and omissions in the past, as well as add in charts that were missed in the original or expanded.

Perhaps a good solution going forward would be to reserve the second post yourself at the time of publication for storing manufacturer responses, errata and additional thoughts. I know many would likely appreciate that over finding a response in the 400th post in the thread when the manufacturer finally chimed in on something. At least I certainly would.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, that seems to be a bit overstated - you have edited reviews to correct errors and omissions in the past, as well as add in charts that were missed in the original or expanded.
Adding charts doesn't invalidate 15 pages of discussion. Nor does minor changes or suggestions made early in the review.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Adding charts doesn't invalidate 15 pages of discussion. Nor does minor changes or suggestions made early in the review.
Well in a sense it does, by the same logic... provided that those 15 pages of discussions were in regard to a measurement which wasn't performed at the time of the review itself. Regardless I agree with not changing the original review content, nor was I suggesting otherwise. I was just putting forth an option for zero edits of any kind while allowing addendum/errata collection in proximity to them - like is done in a global sense with the tables and lists of reviews. Nothing else was meant by it.

TommyTwoTone

Who the heck do you thin the rest of us are? Dishwashers? I have had a home theater since 1997 with external processor (Lexicon MC-1). I know what I want when I bough thousands of dollars worth of outboard decoding and DAC. If you don't care, then go find some other outlets that does your type of reviews.

Maybe consumers is the wrong term...I'm referring to folks currently in the market for a AVP like this one.

I don't care? I cared enough to register and post a reply because your signature gave me the impression you'd be open to constructive criticism...

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

If you're only willing to do reviews one way, your way, and disregard the feedback of folks actively in the market for the gear your reviewing then post your reviews in a blog and disable comments. Don't post them in a forum.

Noah Katz

Hi Noah. Good to see another familiar face from AVS days. :)

Hi Amir,

Thanks, likewise.

@Spocko, are you Hobie from Monoprice?

Why not be transparent and identify yourself as such?

And take due credit for yourself and your company for your excellent posts.

...Is the final result with Audyssey32XT inferior to Dirac Live? Possibly, at least objectively speaking... but the results with Audyssey are significantly better than not having DSP at all...

Many of us have found Audyssey to be inferior or no better than no EQ, with the caveat in my case that the bass is EQ is done by my sub amps.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you're only willing to do reviews one way, your way, and disregard the feedback of folks actively in the market for the gear your reviewing then post your reviews in a blog and disable comments. Don't post them in a forum.
I very much listen. The measurements you see have evolved over literally hundreds of products tested so far with member feedback.

What I don't listen to is shouting and demands. You need to provide proper justification for what you are asking. Saying you don't care about what we measure and I should do this and that to satisfy you in a non-constructive tone, gets you the hand.

Noah Katz

Kishore said:
Ok I presumed you had Dirac SW so you could run with your mic kit. If not, no worries.
I can do that but then what would I measure? Response would change drastically.

In-room response, as compared to no EQ.

*That's* what's audible and important to me (most?) others, not SINAD that's already sufficient to be inaudible.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In-room response, as compared to no EQ.

*That's* what's audible and important, not SINAD that's already sufficient to be inaudible.
I use Dirac myself and it works well. Do we expect it to not work all of a sudden in the same room with HTP-1?

Noah Katz

How about edit the first post with an addendum; otherwise you're potentially penalizing both the mfgr and potential customers for a testing anomaly.

I use Dirac myself and it works well. Do we expect it to not work all of a sudden in the same room with HTP-1?

Fair enough.

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are any of the new Anthem units in the pipe line? I'm curious about detailed measurements of the Anthem STR line, the STR integrated, STR preamp, and STR power amp.

Top Bottom