• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is not a matter of easy or hard.
Amir, if it was easy the Toppings and the RMEs could produce better measuring competitive AV products and get a share of a big market. But there are not even trying.
if you're looking for the lowest price per channel with good room EQ and all the decoding you need, the Denons are a better value.
Audyssey is not comparable with Dirac. And their Sinads are low, both appear red on Amir’s rating board.
With my testing hopefully that recognition sets in and better performance is designed in
True. Your testing is very informative to us customers, and hopefully will apply pressure to manufacturers to produce better gear. I might disagree with your conclusions on the AV front, but I strongly support your effort and forum.

Maconi

Excuse my ignorance, but from what I can tell, aren't the results from the HTP-1 fairly positive? As long as you listen to content at reference volume (or lower) and your amp sensitivity is less than 4v then everything works as expected, correct? Under reference volume and under 4v there is no clipping/compression? The rest of the measurements put the HTP-1 above all the previously tested receivers/processors? Functionally (stability and features) it appears to be miles ahead of other competitors like Emotiva as well.

Just curious as to why so many people are immediately dismissive of the HTP-1 now (even going as far as to recommend older Denon/Marantz models with far worse measurements)? Do that many people really listen above reference volume or at higher voltages?

Also, anyone waiting for the JBL SDP-55, isn't it based off the Arcam AV-40 line which has been reviewed fairly poorly so far?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audyssey is not comparable with Dirac.

Based on what, exactly, and says who? I've seen opinions both ways, including that Audyssey XT32 with the target curve app is better. I've never seen an actual test of both on the same system in the same room with measurements of performance.

I'm not denying that Dirac may be better, but I'm not willing to accept that it's worth $2500 without some hard evidence that it produces significantly better bass management. You shouldn't either.

And their Sinads are low, both appear red on Amir’s rating board.

The rating board doesn't tell you the actual issue, which is that it's an output voltage problem, same as the Monoprice. If you test the Denon at lower-than-max output voltage it has pretty good SINAD.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, if it was easy the Toppings and the RMEs could produce better measuring competitive AV products and get a share of a big market. But there are not even trying.
Why would they want to get in a new market that has nothing to do with their core business?

This is beside the point. I can tell you with confidence that you could revise the HTP-1 and have it produce higher output voltage and lower distortion. Hire an engineer from RME or Topping and they could do it easily.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse my ignorance, but from what I can tell, aren't the results from the HTP-1 fairly positive? As long as you listen to content at reference volume (or lower) and your amp sensitivity is less than 4v then everything works as expected, correct? Under reference volume and under 4v there is no clipping/compression? The rest of the measurements put the HTP-1 above all the previously tested receivers/processors?
The Classe Sigma SSP I measured with my RME ADI-2 PRO fs here is probably a little better. Its THD is a little too close to the RME to get a reliable measurement, spec is 0.0005% = -106 dB and I measured 0.00073% at 3.8 Vrms.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious as to why so many people are immediately dismissive of the HTP-1 now (even going as far as to recommend older Denon/Marantz models with far worse measurements)?

Simple reason is price. What are you getting for $4000 vs $1500-$2000?

Also, anyone waiting for the JBL SDP-55, isn't it based off the Arcam AV-40 line which has been reviewed fairly poorly so far?

I don't really follow reviews of AVRs outside this site, as they're mostly useless, so I don't know what's supposedly wrong with the Arcam AV-40, but the JBL SDP-55 is supposed to have true digital outputs which means you can completely ignore the entire analog audio output path in it if you want. You have full control over your output chain, not something that the Monoprice(or any other AVR I've heard of) can do. The Arcam can't do that either.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I'm not denying that Dirac may be better, but I'm not willing to accept that it's worth $2500
It’s not coincidental that Dirac (and Trinnov optimizer) is used by JBL. They know better.
As far as the cost issue, let’s not forget that the Monoprice is a balanced prepro, with more channels. And if you need a 7.4.4 system, you need the 16 channels offered.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not coincidental that Dirac (and Trinnov optimizer) is used by JBL. They know better.

If we're following the "JBL knows better" line of reasoning, then you definitely shouldn't buy the Monoprice AVR when they are launching a competing product shortly, right?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went over the competition in this post. If you must have 16 channels + Dirac in one box, then the Monoprice is the cheapest way to get that. But as I said in that other post, 16 channels in HT has questionable value due to the state of Atmos content, and if you're looking for the lowest price per channel with good room EQ and all the decoding you need, the Denons are a better value.

If you're trying for a genuinely high end setup, you should wait for a JBL SDP-55/SDR-35 review. I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who actually wants to buy one of these things because I eventually want a 7.2.4 Atmos setup with Auro3D upmixing capability. But I'm in no particular rush to buy a product at the $4-6K price point, if I'm buying one, it better check all the boxes.
Couldn't agree more. Would be interesting to see a head to head multi-channel Atmos (or Auro3D) ABX level matched between Denon 8500 and HPT-1 with (with the best amplifier separates you want) just to see if the differences are not only "noticeable" but more importantly, preferred? I'm willing to guess that people will notice the difference, but actual preferences will depend greatly on the bass management/subwoofer setup, but if you eliminate frequencies below the Schroeder frequency for that room (anything under 160 Hz for example) and just focus on multichannel performance where the pre/pro makes a difference, then who knows if there will be beneficial improvements with separates vs flagship AVRs like the 8500.

A/V Analysis

You can cast any aspersions you like. I'm confident in my qualifications and experience. As I mentioned, I am one of the original beta testers of the HTP-1. I also have a wealth of experience with Trinnov, StormAudio, Denon+Marantz, Yamaha, NAD, Lyngdorf/McIntosh, etc. I don't believe there is another individual in the U.S. (outside of Steinway Lyngdorf perhaps) with more experience and expertise with RoomPerfect. If posted information is incorrect, should I not correct it? This just happens to be the first thread I've participated in. I thought my contributions would be appreciated, but it is not just ask me to leave. Otherwise, I would appreciate your respect and I will respect you (and others).

If you recall, I contacted you [prior to this HTP-1 review thread] regarding the NAD M15HD (unbalanced equivalent of the M17) which I wish to send you. Not to refute your measurements, but I suspect my own measurements via the Audiomatica Clio 12 were inaccurate.
Let's see your opinion of this interview given to Audioholics on this processor which I researched before doing my review: https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-prozcessor-reviews/monolith-htp-1

View attachment 50305

This is clearly wrong, correct?

You haven't said anything in this thread that indicates you are an advocate for the consumer. You are being a PR person for the company which is fine but wear that with honor. Don't say you are thinking of the consumer when you are not.
This is clearly wrong and IMO belongs in your review. I would like to see you add it. According to my measurements the max output of the HTP-1 at 0dB is 3.875 Vrms (+14 dBu) and not 7Vrms as shown in the user interface for Amplifier sensitivity.

This is also clearly wrong:
Folks, this is ABCs of design. You verify simple things like whether the device can process 24-bit data. After all, almost all video soundtracks are 24 bits.
You ignored posts saying that it was not a 24-bit processing issue, but a gating issue. You also ignored the recommendation you that reverse the direction of your sweep. It wasn't until someone posted an excerpt from the manual that you appeared to reconsider.
EDIT: There is a setting in the menu to override the low level muting. The output clips though. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...me-theater-processor-review.11416/post-326504
The output clips only if you exceed 0dB. I realize that the output is limited to 3.875 Vrms, which also belongs in your review IMO.

Dherrmann717

All I know is that to me, the HTP-1 sounds fantastic (I'm not a newbie - I've been into the "hobby" for a long time, but I'm absolutely NOT an EE - I'm an InfoSec guy). The other factors such as passing the video without processing, Dirac, ease-of-use, etc are also done very, very well. I acknowledge that non-audio features aren't considered at ASR, but they certainly do play a part for most consumers.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Hire an engineer from RME or Topping and they could do it easily.
I hope so. But they might face problems with unfamiliar equipment that will make their task very difficult.

For sure, big companies like Marantz and Pioneer can easily lure personnel from RME and Topping. Do you thing they haven’t considered it?

I am with you on that, but I am afraid it’s not so straightforward.
If we're following the "JBL knows better" line of reasoning, then you definitely shouldn't buy the Monoprice AVR when they are launching a competing product shortly, right?

I am following the JBL knows better line of reasoning. They have the knowledge and the testing equipment to know better than me and you.
I already mentioned that I am not planning to buy the Monoprice, I already own a competent prepro (Trinnov)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am following the JBL knows better line of reasoning. They have the knowledge and the testing equipment to know better than me and you.
I already mentioned that I am not planning to buy the Monoprice, I already own a competent prepro (Trinnov)

I meant a general "you", not you in particular, sorry for confusion. But yes, we agree then. That is one reason I'm waiting to see JBL take on this market segment before I buy anything this year.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:)
The Q/A shows the importance of this to consumers and the fact that Hobie understood this. Why it was then not watched during the final phases of the development, remains a mystery.

The standard practice is to create specs that whoever was developing this product for them would have to meet. And then verify and publish them on the website. As it is, this is ALL we have for audio spec:

View attachment 50308

This should have been a warning to folks that audio performance was not a priority.

The priority for these devices remains channel count and maximum number of logos.
Let me be the devil's advocate and put on my industry hat for a minute here: given that my job is to position this product in such a way as to sell as many as possible while investing in "just enough" to sell this product for $4,000 per unit, I need to understand my core audience. My core audience wants (1) 16 channel Atmos/Auro3D (2) front wide capability (3) multi-sub EQ and (4) Dirac. I believe just fulfilling these 4 requirements such that they all work would pretty much exhaust my budget. This should be enough to drive sales relative to the competition who similarly does NOT care about audio performance. The business decision would be to match the competition in audio measurements, but exceed them in features for the same price, which I have done with the HTP-1. Consequently, my response to critics would be simply,"What else is better than my product for $4,000? Can your $9 Apple dongle do 16 channel Auro3D with Dirac bass management for 13 speaker channels plus 3 separate subwoofers?"

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would they want to get in a new market that has nothing to do with their core business?

This is beside the point. I can tell you with confidence that you could revise the HTP-1 and have it produce higher output voltage and lower distortion. Hire an engineer from RME or Topping and they could do it easily.
But at what cost to the $4,000 price of entry? Would it be worth raising it to $5,000 per unit?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can cast any aspersions you like. I'm confident in my qualifications and experience. As I mentioned, I am one of the original beta testers of the HTP-1. I also have a wealth of experience with Trinnov, StormAudio, Denon+Marantz, Yamaha, NAD, Lyngdorf/McIntosh, etc. I don't believe there is another individual in the U.S. (outside of Steinway Lyngdorf perhaps) with more experience and expertise with RoomPerfect. If posted information is incorrect, should I not correct it? This just happens to be the first thread I've participated in. I thought my contributions would be appreciated, but it is not just ask me to leave. Otherwise, I would appreciate your respect and I will respect you (and others).

If you recall, I contacted you [prior to this HTP-1 review thread] regarding the NAD M15HD (unbalanced equivalent of the M17) which I wish to send you. Not to refute your measurements, but I suspect my own measurements via the Audiomatica Clio 12 were inaccurate.

This is clearly wrong and IMO belongs in your review. I would like to see you add it. According to my measurements the max output of the HTP-1 at 0dB is 3.875 Vrms (+14 dBu) and not 7Vrms as shown in the user interface for Amplifier sensitivity.

This is also clearly wrong:

You ignored posts saying that it was not a 24-bit processing issue, but a gating issue. You also ignored the recommendation you that reverse the direction of your sweep. It wasn't until someone posted an excerpt from the manual that you appeared to reconsider.

The output clips only if you exceed 0dB. I realize that the output is limited to 3.875 Vrms, which also belongs in your review IMO.
Please stay and contribute as the many of us participants feel your posts add much needed context.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I wonder if any improvements can be heard in a blind ABX test between a multichannel processor with SINAD of 100db to a 90db one.

Or one with 110db SINAD compared to 90db.

Top Bottom