• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Wafflesocks

I'm not a scientist, or an engineer... just a lowely carpenter

But my understanding is every packet in ethernet has a sort of checksum.... so it's either correct or corrupt....

The proof is on the person making the assertion.... but how can a packeted digital signal be better or worse, without being corrupt. (Asking for a friend)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
merely taking careful measurements isn't science

science requires a test of a hypothesis using an experiment

Amazingly enough, engineers do have training in science, and IC design requires hypotheses tested by experiments. I was even pre-med and went through all the life sciences and philosophy stuff before deciding I liked engineering better. But I don't remember Popper or Kuhn except having to wade through them in some class in the primordial past so clearly not a scientist, whatever the heck that means. Obviously somebody better than an engineer. OTOH, while I understand much more about electricity than my electrician, he does a much better job of wiring the house, and I don't like mucking with my cars any more but rather let a mechanic do it, so IMO specialization happens at all levels of education.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm not a scientist, or an engineer... just a lowely carpenter

But my understanding is every packet in ethernet has a sort of checksum.... so it's either correct or corrupt....

The proof is on the person making the assertion.... but how can a packeted digital signal be better or worse, without being corrupt. (Asking for a friend)
A few dollars spent on a business card can sort that out , ask @SIY for further information.

mansr

Major Contributor
I do. And I *think* I'm a real scientist. That's what my business cards say, anyway.
I was (obliquely) referring to the penchant for armchair philosophers to trot out Popper's ideas about falsifiability at every turn (usually to dismiss something they don't like as unscientific). While nice in theory, the reality of scientific research is a lot messier. Good luck, for instance, running a controlled experiment in geology. Easy enough if you have a freshly made planet and a few billion years to spare, rather more difficult in our reality. Does that make the entire field of geology unscientific? I don't think so.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was (obliquely) referring to the penchant for armchair philosophers to trot out Popper's ideas about falsifiability at every turn (usually to dismiss something they don't like as unscientific). While nice in theory, the reality of scientific research is a lot messier. Good luck, for instance, running a controlled experiment in geology. Easy enough if you have a freshly made planet and a few billion years to spare, rather more difficult in our reality. Does that make the entire field of geology unscientific? I don't think so.

Geologists make hypotheses and test them. Their hypotheses are either consistent with the prediction or fail. The essence of Popper. Ditto paleontologists and cosmologists, whose work is outside of a lab.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, he is really talking about comparative planetology

it IS a field - see the ads in the back of Science

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
At one point of time I thought this guy was credible. Was going to comment on his review but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth my time. Enjoy the delusion.
Yes indeed. He is a very good presenter. Shame he has lost his ways altogether.

KarVi71

At one point of time I thought this guy was credible. Was going to comment on his review but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth my time. Enjoy the delusion.

I have the exact same experience.
I once followed his channel and saw most of his reviews, and I really like the way he presents fairly difficult to understand things, in ways that are comprehensive.
But he believes in the most outrageous stuff sometimes, so has lost much of his credibility for me.

mansr

Major Contributor
I have the exact same experience.
I once followed his channel and saw most of his reviews, and I really like the way he presents fairly difficult to understand things, in ways that are comprehensive.
But he believes in the most outrageous stuff sometimes, so has lost much of his credibility for me.
The trouble is that he presents difficult to understand things without understanding them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I get a kick out of him saying he lost 1 KG going up and down the stairs to change switches (?). Why not have a loved one do the switching blind on him and see if he gets it right. He could instruct the switching using a mobile phone to his partner. Levels are already matched so no other effort is needed. He will become more knowledgeable and not lose weight for undue reasons! :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Well heck, if that's all it takes, I should buy one as my weight-loss program! Don't need the switch but would really like to lose some weight... :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uptone and their shill ad site Audiophool Stylishness are about midway past science to craziness - I was going to write 'as far from science as you can get' but then I recalled all the cable sites...

KarVi71

I left a comment as an answer to another comment to the Beekhuyzen review, linking to this thread.

But sadly, the original comment, and with that, my comment has now been removed ...

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I left a comment as an answer to another comment to the Beekhuyzen review, linking to this thread.

But sadly, the original comment, and with that, my comment has now been removed ...

Which one were you? I have screenshots of the before and after:

1581711870013.png
1581711935592.png

Cortes

I was once suscibed to Hans channel. Hans is a brilliant communicator. He has an oscilloscope behind him in his videos. Looks like is just atrezzo.

Top Bottom