• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Greetings from Seattle

RPG

Forum Donor
Hello everybody,

Well, after a long 15-year journey through audiophilia (though not a severe case), thanks to ASR, I'm nearing the end. I'm awaiting shipment of a Benchmark AHB2 amp (there are some glitches at Benchmark which have got me in quite a long queue---a month so far) which, I'm hoping will complete a system that I've purposefully put together with equipment that is all engineered to be of high quality and maximum transparency.

Thanks to many people at ASR, especially Amir, who've provided test results, science-based opinion and information, and have (albeit stealthily) guided my recent purchases. To go with the AHB2 is an RME ADI-2 DAC Revel F-208 floor-standers, and a couple of REL subs.

Looking forward to continuing my appreciation of this site and its contributors!

Cheers

RPG

OP
R

RPG

Forum Donor
Amir....thank you. A number of years ago, right at the time when Madrona was sort of getting out of the retail business, I bought the last pair of F-208's that you had in inventory. Closes a kind of circle, I guess....

And, if it comes to conflict, you can count on me to enlist in your corps!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir....thank you. A number of years ago, right at the time when Madrona was sort of getting out of the retail business, I bought the last pair of F-208's that you had in inventory. Closes a kind of circle, I guess....
Oh, I remember that pair. Every time I listen to them, I would be amazed as to how good they sounded!

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To go with the AHB2 is an RME ADI-2 DAC Revel F-208 floor-standers, and a couple of REL subs
Wow, that's very much ASR-approved. Did you compare the F208 to the F228be?

OP
R

RPG

Forum Donor
Oh, I remember that pair. Every time I listen to them, I would be amazed as to how good they sounded!

They still sound wonderful---or would if they had an amplifier to drive them :<(.

Lao Lu

I have the Benchmark amp and the HGC DAC3 driving ATC 19s in a small room; playing Sibelius' 7th symphony with the volume at the halfway point the combo can dry my hair in the morning: effortless clear, clean power. You will not be disappointed. They make handy,
sensibly-priced cables as well.

OP
R

RPG

Forum Donor
Thanks. I did receive the AHB2 and "not disappointed" would be quite an understatement. In fact, I'm so delighted....couldn't be happier with its performance. I did order Benchmark's XLR cables, since my old amp only had rca inputs and, yes, they're reasonably priced, well made, and did the job nicely. Between the XLR cables and amp, it is the first time I've had zero hiss/buzz from my speakers---complete silence.

I love Sibelius' symphonies, btw, and they are magnificently rendered with the AHB2 and, in my case, the RME ADI-2 dac.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks. I did receive the AHB2 and "not disappointed" would be quite an understatement. In fact, I'm so delighted....couldn't be happier with its performance. I did order Benchmark's XLR cables, since my old amp only had rca inputs and, yes, they're reasonably priced, well made, and did the job nicely. Between the XLR cables and amp, it is the first time I've had zero hiss/buzz from my speakers---complete silence.

I love Sibelius' symphonies, btw, and they are magnificently rendered with the AHB2 and, in my case, the RME ADI-2 dac.

Outstanding...

Always nice when you can just be happy with a new purchase, with no equivocation.

Sounds like you've done your homework, and now you can literally just sit back and enjoy it. That setup should keep you very happy.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn’t mind a rig like yours. To me subwoofers are mandatory in an audio system.

OP
R

RPG

Forum Donor
Wouldn’t mind a rig like yours. To me subwoofers are mandatory in an audio system.

Agreed and thank you. Even as good and full-range as the F-208's are, the difference is pretty noticeable when playing something like, say, Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony with the subs on vs. off. The use of subs is actually one of the early pieces of advice I got from a local dealer that has stood the test of time (his gushing about expensive replacement power cables and interconnects.....not so much).

Top Bottom