• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for neutral, small, budget speaker?

goldark

Forum Donor
I haven't seen measurements for it, but the QA 3020 comes to mind for a small neutral budget (around $300 or less) speaker.

Does anyone else have any recommendations or thoughts?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry to be the first person to jump in and make recommendations based on ASR test results;) In your price range, the two speakers that measured quite well were the JBL 305P Mk2 and the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. The Pioneer, being a much smaller speaker, lacks low bass output. Also note that the former is an active speaker while the latter is a passive.

Both speakers have reasonably smooth off-axis performance given the price range, so if you're using a computer as the source, you could equalise the output of either based on Amir's measurements and end up with a very well-performing pair of speakers.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The latest product to squirt out of ELAC's production line is gettin' pretty good press from folks.
I have zero experience (yet), though, so -- you know -- caveat emptor. :)
https://elac.com/series/debut-reference/dbr-62/?r=us

Did you mean 300 each or 300 the pair, @goldark?
:rolleyes:

1581452608680.png

I mean, there's also the Debut 2.0 B6.2 (catchy name, eh?) at about half the price (or less when on sale) -- I have a pair of these, but I am still quite on the fence about them overall. A lack of proper stands for them isn't helping the situation at my house, though, in full disclosure.

https://elac.com/series/debut-2-0/b6-2/?r=us

1581452857343.png

These are now available in a 'walnut' Contact Paper umm, I mean vinyl veneer finish (which would've been my preference).

Last edited:
OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses. $300 a pair is the target. I'm looking into setting up a budget 5.1 system for my parents and due to placement/aesthetic reasons, the surrounds need to be rather small-ish Their receiver has no pre-outs, so it's going to have to be a passive design. An argument could be made that little information gets sent to the surround channels so an accurate speaker isn't entirely necessary. That would be a fair point - but if I could help it, I'd like to get as accurate as i can get in that budget. Something like the Elacs are a little bit larger than what would fit the space/decor that my parents want. That's why I brought up the 3020 due to its size was wondering about other options.

Thanks!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the responses. $300 a pair is the target. I'm looking into setting up a budget 5.1 system for my parents and due to placement/aesthetic reasons, the surrounds need to be rather small-ish Their receiver has no pre-outs, so it's going to have to be a passive design. An argument could be made that little information gets sent to the surround channels so an accurate speaker isn't entirely necessary. That would be a fair point - but if I could help it, I'd like to get as accurate as i can get in that budget. Something like the Elacs are a little bit larger than what would fit the space/decor that my parents want. That's why I brought up the 3020 due to its size was wondering about other options.

Thanks!

FWIW, there is a Debut 2.0 B5.2 ELAC -- haven't heard those, though, so I cannot comment.

https://elac.com/series/debut-2-0/b5-2/?r=us

Oh, also, in the realm of the super-hyper-cheap, there's the PartsExpress "Dayton" B652-AIR.
These aren't fabulous, but they're far from horrible, with pretty palatable treble from that little "AMT" tweeter. Not much in the way of bass, though (of course). Also -- sealed cabinets. How often does one encounter those in 2020? ;)

P-E even has a whole 5.1 bundle for $245 :)

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

DSC_0611 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Amusingly, by the looks of things, the little AMT tweeter used in these is might be the same one used in some far, far more expensive loudspeakers... maybe??? ;)

(e.g., look at the not inexpensive ELAC Carina's tweeter and see what you think)

SMc

I’m looking forward to the ASR measurements of the NHT SuperOne.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
FWIW, there is a Debut 2.0 B5.2 ELAC -- haven't heard those, though, so I cannot comment.

https://elac.com/series/debut-2-0/b5-2/?r=us

Oh, also, in the realm of the super-hyper-cheap, there's the PartsExpress "Dayton" B652-AIR.
These aren't fabulous, but they're far from horrible, with pretty palatable treble from that little "AMT" tweeter. Not much in the way of bass, though (of course). Also -- sealed cabinets. How often does one encounter those in 2020? ;)

P-E even has a whole 5.1 bundle for $245 :)

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

DSC_0611 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Amusingly, by the looks of things, the little AMT tweeter used in these is might be the same one used in some far, far more expensive loudspeakers... maybe??? ;)

(e.g., look at the not inexpensive ELAC Carina's tweeter and see what you think)

Are the budget ELAC's generally considered warm? I've never heard one myself but that was the impression I was getting from reading about them.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Are the budget ELAC's generally considered warm? I've never heard one myself but that was the impression I was getting from reading about them.
That's a harder question to answer than you might think! ;) Some are typed as 'rolled off', some as 'bright'. I don't consider the 6.2s "warm" -- what would you consider a warm-sounding loudspeaker (i.e., help me to calibrate what you mean by "warm")?

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
That's a harder question to answer than you might think! ;) Some are typed as 'rolled off', some as 'bright'. I don't consider the 6.2s "warm" -- what would you consider a warm-sounding loudspeaker (i.e., help me to calibrate what you mean by "warm")?

I would consider the Wharfedale Diamond series warm

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another word for "not enough bass volume to run into room issues"?

As you see I run them with subwoofers...as I would any speakers not truly massive in size. They're currently high-passed at 80 kHz.

Even 'good' bookshelf-sized speakers tend to be only flat to ~60-80 Hz so I'm not sure what you are expecting in the bass department.

Then read his review, Edna!

Hah, thanks, that's what I get for not revisiting the measurement forum first. I listen on-axis so some of its problems are not as problematic. And I can use wide range tone control if I find it is too bright (which I haven't so far...could be the room, could be my HF hearing, could be I'm not playing them very loudly...or often enough!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom