• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Speaker Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Dayton Audio B652-AIR budget bookshelf speaker. I purchased a pair of these for US $67.70 from Amazon with Prime shipping. A kind member also bought a pair and sent them to me. The measured speaker is his.

I have to tell you, someone in China has managed to nail the look of these speakers as to make them seem more expensive than they are:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers Audio Review.jpg

I took the grill off for my testing. The back panel shows the cheap construction all around:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers Back Panel Connectors Audio Review.jpg

The whole package is quite light and those spring connectors don't inspire confidence but are workable.

Still, the whole package has my admiration as far as visual execution at this price point. You start wanting this thing to measure and sound good.

Researching this speaker, seems like the star of the show is the "AMT" tweeter which was added to this model variation. There seems to be this love for AMT tweeters out there which I don't understand.

This review is super popular so has been reviewed to death. I thought I quote a few starting with Steve Guttenberg's CNET review:
1581454966504.png

Clear and clean, Steve? We shall see. :)

Sound and Vision magazine had this to say after giving it 5 stars for performance:

1581455136899.png

Stereophile dunk its beak into the water and had this to say:

1581455243130.png

Always enjoyable? We shall see about that as we get into measurements and listening tests.

Measurements are performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics) to subtract room reflections. It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room. All measurements are reference to tweeter axis with the grill removed.

740 points were measured (from 20 to 20 kHz) around the speaker resulting in less than 1% error across the full frequency spectrum.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:
Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers CEA2034 spinorama Audio Measurements.png

Well, this is a bad way to start things. There are so many problems here. We have a suck out at 340 Hz. Then various peaks and dips due to resonances. By the way, a resonance is some part of the system singing at that range of frequencies when activated. To the extent it is from the mechanic construction of the speaker, it makes for a horrible little speaker creating its own sound. Depending on its phase, it may combine, subtract or something in between with the main sound playing by the drivers. The moment they show up in this graph, it means they are loud enough to make an audible impact so are worrisome.

Stepping back, instead of a flat on-axis/listening window response, we have all kinds of peaks and valleys. Depending on what music you play, the accentuation may be a good thing (if a ton of distortion doesn't come for the ride) or more likely, not.

Looking at predicted in-room response, we see that these sins are written all over the graph when you include the room reflections:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers CEA2034 spinorama PIR Audio Measurements.png

None of these rough edges were apparently audible to our reviewers.

Basic Measurements
Here is our impedance and phase:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers Impedance and Phase Audio Measurements.png

Kinks in the phase/amplitude response as noted usually indicated resonances. We saw the same problems in the spinorama though so there is no need to look for them here.

Rated impedance of 6 ohm doesn't hold at 40 Hz where in my analysis has the peak response in music. It is more like 4.5 ohms.

Some of you love to see these CSD/waterfall measurements. Here is one of countless views I can make up with this graph:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers Waterfall CSD Audio Measurements.png

Distortion data for a change shows useful information:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers Gated in-room relative THD distortion Audio Mea...png

What did Steve say? Clear and clean with this much distortion in upper frequencies?

Here is the "in-room" (in-garage) response:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers Gated in-room response and distortion Audio Mea...png

Note that the above is highly compressed graph so the frequency response looks much flatter than it is.

Advanced Speaker Measurements
Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers CEA2034 spinorama Early Window Audio Measurements.png

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers CEA2034 spinorama Vertical Reflections Audio Me...png

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers CEA2034 spinorama Full Vertical and Horizontal ...png

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers  Contour Horizontal Audio Measurements.png

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers  Contour Vertical Audio Measurements.png

Above are some of the ugliest measurements I have seen so far.

Eye-candy Speaker Measurements
Our Klippel NFS system reconstructs the full soundfield around the speaker down to whopping 1 degree of resolution. Using that, we can get a 3-D picture of what is going on. Let's look at the problem at 3.7 kHz:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers 3700 Hz response Audio Measurements.png

We see that both the tweeter and woofer singing strongly together so no wonder there are cancellations all around.

We had a severe notch at 340 Hz. Let's look at the response below, at and above 340 Hz:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Bookshelf Cheap Speakers  340 Hz soundfield cancellation Audio Measureme...png

Dark color indicates loudest signal. We can readily see that some kind of cancellation has sucked out the energy from the woofer at 340 Hz (middle image).

Listening Tests
I set up the measured speaker to the left of my monitor, elevated about 5 inches from the desk and tilted up and pointed toward my ear. On the right side I had the Pioneer SP-B22-LR for comparison. The Dayton Audio B652-AIR sounded good for about 2 seconds until the piercing and distorted highs started to bother me. They stood out because there is no upper bass. There is lower bass that was vibrating my desk a bit but lack of upper base made them almost absent. Female vocals were deadly with distorted lisping galore. In sharp contrast, the Pioneer was warm, and far, far more balanced in response.

Having been biased with the measurements, I thought I drag my poor wife up for a listen without telling here anything. She immediately commented on the female vocals being annoying in the Dayton. I forget her exact words but they were right on the money as far as what I observe with respect to shrill and distorted sound. However, she liked the sound of some of the instruments that were brought out more by the Dayton. Since she plays musical instruments, she focuses on them a lot more than I do. I listen for overall balance but she seems to search for the individual strings and if she hears them, she likes that.

Conclusions
The Dayton Audio B652-AIR does everything wrong that you want to avoid in modern speaker design. The woofer is run full bandwidth with no crossover meaning it sings along with the tweeter way above its linear frequency response. The thin cabinet sings (easily audible in measurements) and combines with the woofer to create problems even in its target range. The AMT tweeter has only a capacitor (single order filter) and resistor to tame it and clearly that is not enough. All of this is due to the fact that a good crossover would cost far more than the individual components or even price of a full speaker!

Does it sound better than a truly garbage speaker? Yes. But I am here to keep you from bad sound and this is bad sound folks. Spend a few more dollars and get the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR.

Needless to say, I cannot recommend the Dayton Audio B652-AIR. I have no idea how those reviewers have written what they have written. Five star performance? Are you kidding me? Clear and clean with no obvious flaws? Mr. Guttenberg, please get your ears trained and perform some comparative AB tests using single speakers. This is embarrassing.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Hungry for some Chinese food. Going to go out to get some. When I get back, I hope you all have collected enough money for that using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Dayton Audio B652-AIR spinorama.zip
    88.5 KB · Views: 300

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressively bad. The use of an AMT is a pure marketing choice. I think I saw the crossover for these once and it was quite minimal.

You can hammer an AMT into a respectable response but generally they are chock full of resonances and this is what it looks like if you don't address them.

Also the suck out at 340hz?? What is that??

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that's for the even cheaper soft dome tweeter model.
Yes, the old version was bad. The AMT tweeter made it even worse.

Seems whenever someone runs a woofer full range it mucks up distortion higher up.

This is a terrific review. I love it because its comedy gold with prior reviews being so very wrong done with the eyes/ears methodology.

So for now we have a Biggest Loser. But is it the speaker which is the biggest loser or the loser-ville reviews everyone has done on these? :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

WesParker

NoAudiophile reviewed these and said they were better with the tweeter polarization reversed. He also added a little DSP to get them in the ball park of the Pioneer BS22. Possibly this could be replicated with a treble knob, but I assume that would be more luck than science if it worked.

JIW

Either JA is lying or he has severe high frequency hearing loss. So severe it includes mid-frequency hearing depression.

My summation would have been it cost as much to fuel my car, and that is gone in a couple weeks. But it is money better spent than to buy and live with these speakers for years.
Compared to other speakers, on JA's in-room measurements the Daytons seem to have 3-7 dB more output between 3-12 kHz.
Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 23.30.16.png

Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 23.33.24.png
Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 23.31.59.png

Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 23.32.41.png

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Guttenburg just posted a review of an Ifi Dac yesterday in which he makes a comparison between it and the Apple dongle...and concludes that the dongle is "opaque" while the Ifi dac is "transparent." I wonder if any attempt to volume match was made...cuz something tells me Steve's ears aren't that spectacular.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This review "Sounds" about right (i.e., sounds terrible).

It would be interesting to see some other AMT (vintage or current but expensive) containing loudspeakers' test data. It would also be interesting to see some 'real' ribbons' test data. I know (EDIT) ol' Zaph doesn't like 'em. http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

Speaking of AMTs... one notes, with wry amusement, that some very not inexpensive;) loudspeakers appear (based on cosmetics!) to be using the exact same little AMT tweeters as our heros from Parts Express(???). :rolleyes:
https://elac.com/series/carina/

1581460829867.png

$1379.98 the pair :)

1581461083143.png

1581461148445.png

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-amt-mini-8-air-motion-transformer-tweeter-8-ohm--275-095

1581461204658.png

Last edited:

WesParker

Also, as stated above, on sale right now for $42. I say skip the speaker wires and add one of these (https://www.parts-express.com/--320-620 ). Add an old laptop brick and you'd have a set of powered speakers shipped to your door for $58 and have a free channel of amplification for a sub. Not sure how "hifi" it would be, but at half the price of those JBL 104s.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You obviously ignored the suggestion to burn them in, how dare you.

Indeed, I would have at least for once and for all have a pre and post burn in measurement to show if this is nonsense or not...

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I created these from Amir's data. Hopefully you guys find usefulness in them.

I'm still playing around with how I want to present these. I think I like the lines for the different axes. Makes it easier to keep track when you know that the vertical line bins are 10 degree increments.

Edit: Thanks to some feedback I changed them. The 2 white lines are -3dB and -6dB. Thinner and thicker, respectively.

Dayton Audio B652-AIR_Horizontal_spectro_x200_fill_labeled.png

Dayton Audio B652-AIR_Vertical_spectro_x200_fill_labeled.png

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Such and advanced system and analysis wasted on these cheap speakers... I wished users would loan higher end speakers for testing. My respect to Amir spending his time testing this. :D

Top Bottom