• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

PorchSong

Well as usual I am just looking for the bus as it has been gone from the station. I see some Chrome cast audio devices on ebay ( I believe that they are Chinese knockoffs) but not sure. Anyone can point me to the right direction? I was going to be making a raspberry pi for this but I am not sure if I am going to be able to do the code for SD card. I do have a usb class 2 dac (JDS el dac ii) . Should I go chrome or pi? I am streaming Tidal ( premier or whatever).

I don't think they are knockoffs. Some sellers stockpiled on them when Google announced they will stop making them and were dumping them at $15 a piece end of 2018. The Pi may be more flexible and supported long-term. The chromecast will be limited to 44.1 kHz on Tidal, but the Pi probably is too. I'm having stuttering issues with Qobuz hi-res streaming at 96kHz through Chromecast, seems to be a common issue.

Seems SUPER SKETCHY to me. He bought "this" but never used it because of a new amp purchase? Yet, 45 (with more than 10 still available) of them have been sold--with free shipping from China?!? -- this would be for a loss at that price. And how did he get 45+ of them. I call bullshit. "Too good to be true" especially at that price. Furthermore, once they announced the device was discontinued, there was no way in hell he got his hands on 45+ of them--and then sit on them for year to only sell 45+ at cost with free shipping. Save your money, this is a scam.

1578434953340.png

1578434968513.png

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Seems SUPER SKETCHY to me. He bought "this" but never used it because of a new amp purchase? Yet, 45 (with more than 10 still available) of them have been sold--with free shipping from China?!? -- this would be for a loss at that price. And how did he get 45+ of them. I call bullshit. "Too good to be true" especially at that price. Furthermore, once they announced the device was discontinued, there was no way in hell he got his hands on 45+ of them--and then sit on them for year to only sell 45+ at cost with free shipping. Save your money, this is a scam.

View attachment 44956

View attachment 44957
Likely since it's made in china; they knew it was being discontinued before it was discontinued.
But I agree that the market price is alot higher. Something seems wrong here.

gvl

Major Contributor
If you actually get one and it works, does it really matter if it is a knock-off for only $18? Seems like scam however.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Will the Chromecast audio properly run from USB chargers? I am tempted to buy the CCA from the above seller(on Ebay) @AU$28, for a spare, but may need to buy an AU plug PS as well.

I can buy a refurbished AU model CCA here for $AU39 plus $AU12 shipping.
Unfortunately local Ebay used prices are excessive and shipping cost kills the overseas listings.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Will the Chromecast audio run from OEM USB chargers? I am tempted to buy the CCA from the above seller(on Ebay) @AU$28, for a spare, but may need to buy an AU plug PS as well.

I can buy a refurbished AU model CCA here for $AU39 plus $AU12 shipping. Unfortunately local Ebay used prices are excessive and shipping cost kills the overseas listings.
Yes it works from any USB charger that is 1a or more.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Update: 59 sold.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I actually think that it is a scam. I think it is being sold by a hacked account. I checked the account and they have no recent sales and only 15 total feedback.
This item went for sale in the last days or so. Definitely wouldn't purchase as its surely a scam.

Wombat

Master Contributor
When I factor in the AU charger and possible warranty hassles, the local deal looks OK.

jules

So do we ever think Amazon HD streaming at hi res or even 16/44k will happen? It's a shame since it's a good value service with more choice than tidal...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dominique-T

Further to reading this post, I decided to try Roon in order to compare the audio quality with Jriver, using the same Chromecast audio. Roon is the clear winner... The sound (I cannot measure, but I trust Amirm) is better and the gapless is making a big difference. I might well go for Roon after the 14 days trial expire...

Willem

Major Contributor
I cannot think of a reason why there should be a sonic difference.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Further to reading this post, I decided to try Roon in order to compare the audio quality with Jriver, using the same Chromecast audio. Roon is the clear winner... The sound (I cannot measure, but I trust Amirm) is better and the gapless is making a big difference. I might well go for Roon after the 14 days trial expire...
I noticed tidal through roon through chromecast sounded better than casting straight from tidal app. No idea why!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed tidal through roon through chromecast sounded better than casting straight from tidal app. No idea why!

Level difference?

ENG

Forum Donor
I got a chromecast audio some times ago. But the SQ could not beat that of Moon MiND. So the chromecast is laying in the drawer.

Top Bottom