• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Master Video and Technology Thread

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
In general I feel like DSP bass management hasn't gone far enough and there's so much more which can be done to improve bass quality using DSP and multi channels. To me, the new active controlled directivity speakers (Kii audio, beo and lexicon) and the AVVA bass traps all seem very gimmicky with regard to bass management when compared to alternative methods using DSP.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I did ask them about Unison for PC and there is a big problem there. Namely, Unison is not a complete system. It is the core processing engine (to use other speakers to correct the mains). In OEM car business, it is the responsibility of the auto manufacturer to generate a ton of data (i.e. impulse responses) and integrate them in a manner that sounds good into Dirac Unison engine. It does NOT at all come in a black box that does all of that. Dirac folks think this makes it impossible to roll out in the PC market. I encouraged them to still try and they said they would think about maybe simplifying it some but it is long road from here to there.

Failing that, I did ask them to consider bass management and correction at least.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. I feel like you are my personal hifi consumer advocacy group at CES. :D
I did ask them about Unison for PC and there is a big problem there. Namely, Unison is not a complete system. It is the core processing engine (to use other speakers to correct the mains). In OEM car business, it is the responsibility of the auto manufacturer to generate a ton of data (i.e. impulse responses) and integrate them in a manner that sounds good into Dirac Unison engine. It does NOT at all come in a black box that does all of that. Dirac folks think this makes it impossible to roll out in the PC market. I encouraged them to still try and they said they would think about maybe simplifying it some but it is long road from here to there.

Failing that, I did ask them to consider bass management and correction at least.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

That, more or less, parallels the discussion I had with them at CEDIA.

Top Bottom