• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KIMBER KABLE: Do High-end USB Cables Make A Difference?

firedog

I've had "off the shelf" cables from clamshell packaging that didn't work properly.
Therefore I'd spend $15-$50 dollars on a cable to know that it's well made and meets spec. Something like BlueJeans Cable. They produce to order (including color and length) and test every cable and send you the results.
And yes, I know they are now also selling "audiophile" super expensive cables. So what? Doesn't mean their other cables are no good.

lszomb

Forum Donor
I use really Hi-End cable in all my systems: Gotham and Sommer cables, yes, they are Hi-End and already on my up-limitation of budget.

LDKTA

“But, but, but the measurements don’t tell the whole story!”

“Open your ears and just listen.”

OR “You’re either deaf or you don’t know how to listen.”

“Your system isn’t capable of resolving the differences.”

I’m sure we’ve all come across these sorts of ridiculous and regurgitated statements... Great review Amir. It’s quite hilarious (and sad) that we actually have to give cables so much attention in this industry but I get it. The damage has been done!

wyup

Hi. In this test, I would like to see a DAC with a poorly implemented USB. For Example Modi 2.

Yeah, the point with these cables is to test them if they're useful with less than optimal gear. If you test it with state-of-the-art D90 with best in class jitter correction.. I think Amirm once tested another cable with Modi or another device and it showed a little difference. It seems sometimes Amirm is determined to prove his point well before a review, we uses dark humour and that ;-)
Anyway we know usb cables are not optimal medium to transport audio signal, mainly because of power interference, and specially dirty power coming from usb pc ports. A cable is not going to clean the signal but it might attenuate less and protect for interference within the cable. Interference might soil the signal and increse jitter. My guess..

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$60 is considered "high end" for a cable? Yeah that's a little bit higher, but somewhat tame imo. Check out Audioquest for outrageous pricing! Their Diamond USB is like $599.
Yes but this cable makes no difference so think how much more no difference the super expensive ones must make ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway we know usb cables are not optimal medium to transport audio signal, mainly because of power interference, and specially dirty power coming from usb pc ports. A cable is not going to clean the signal but it might attenuate less and protect for interference within the cable. Interference might soil the signal and increse jitter. My guess..
Yes but all DAC manufacturers know this limitation (or should) and since they are inexpensively avoided any DAC that needs a special cable to work acceptably is clearly a pile of excrement and the best thing to do is buy a properly engineered DAC not a different cable.

wyup

Yes but all DAC manufacturers know this limitation (or should) and since they are inexpensively avoided any DAC that needs a special cable to work acceptably is clearly a pile of excrement and the best thing to do is buy a properly engineered DAC not a different cable.
We can do both. ;-) Best usb jitter correction dacs are for example RME ADI-2. And it costs more than that cable..
I think the best way to avoid jitter and use clean signal from the start is to buy an audiophile pci usb card with external power and good clock, some of them are not that expensive..

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
We can do both. ;-) Best usb jitter correction dacs are for example RME ADI-2. And it costs more than that cable..

It is simple competence...don't need an RME for that.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the best way to avoid jitter and use clean signal from the start is to buy an audiophile pci usb card with external power and good clock, some of them are not that expensive..
If I stream a file from a computer to my main system I use an old iMac. I have never had any audible noise and it has a lovely big screen for the artwork!.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Most of us at ASR weren't expecting a different outcome to this review/test.

I would looooooove Amir to test a truly audiophile priced USB cable... Arbitrary level of $500 at least. $60-price tag looks too much like something, regular non-audiophile person could buy. Too close to this cable that I recently purchased because the usual ones were breaking with an alarming regularity. It cost $30. No claim is made for better anything except for durability and connectivity. It seems built to last longer.

5155JsnnvCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

tw99

A cable is not going to clean the signal but it might attenuate less and protect for interference within the cable. Interference might soil the signal and increse jitter. My guess..

Please don't guess, it's not interesting or useful to anyone.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yeah, the point with these cables is to test them if they're useful with less than optimal gear. If you test it with state-of-the-art D90 with best in class jitter correction.. I think Amirm once tested another cable with Modi or another device and it showed a little difference. It seems sometimes Amirm is determined to prove his point well before a review, we uses dark humour and that ;-)
For USB 2, the maximum length to stay within spec is about 5 meters. It steps down to 3m for USB 3. This is with a generic cable. Beyond that you'll need an extender.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I was going to post a link to HI-Plus’ ‘review’ of Shunyata’s new £1000 USB cable, but honestly what is the point.
Keith

mansr

Major Contributor
For USB 2, the maximum length to stay within spec is about 5 meters.
That limit is there to ensure that the permitted end-to-end delay isn't exceeded even if the maximum possible number of hubs (5) are cascaded. With fewer hubs between the host and device, a longer cable will work provided it doesn't attenuate the signal too much. The reason such cables are not allowed is simplicity. A user shouldn't have to consider cable length when connecting devices together.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Of course, the better the implementation of the DAC, the less relevant a better designed USB cable would be on the chain except on atrociously designed DAC. Still, there's a measurable difference but it's depended on the DAC involved unfortunately. If we can get Amir to test the Kimber under the same conditions as the Wireworld, that would be good data for comparison
Could it be that the delusional marks who pay stupid money for cables actually do hear a real difference, but only because their DACs are so poorly designed in the first place?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
“But, but, but the measurements don’t tell the whole story!”

“Open your ears and just listen.”

OR “You’re either deaf or you don’t know how to listen.”

“Your system isn’t capable of resolving the differences.”

I’m sure we’ve all come across these sorts of ridiculous and regurgitated statements... Great review Amir. It’s quite hilarious (and sad) that we actually have to give cables so much attention in this industry but I get it. The damage has been done!
The irony is that for the last quote, the real meaning is,

"Your system is properly designed so it doesn't need special cables. Mine, however, is not, so it needs special cables to prevent its faults being audible."

Good to see that Amir's results are in line with those found by Archimago over the last few years <https://archimago.blogspot.com>

Last edited:
Top Bottom