• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Who should we give this title to???

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Saw this sign on a suite:
093A8022.jpg

Since we have Borrowmaster, I thought we should give Thrustmaster to someone else. Who would be good candidates????

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
To Whom Should We Give This Title???

Werner Von Braun

S-IC_engines_and_Von_Braun.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
yikes

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That is such an awesome photo.

Engines: Each second, a single F-1 burned 5,683 pounds (671 gallons) of oxidizer and fuel generating 1,500,000 lbf of thrust...

55,000 hp built-in fuel pump to feed it...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Are there any other nominees?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To Whom Should We Give This Title???

Werner Von Braun

S-IC_engines_and_Von_Braun.jpg

Years ago visiting the Huntsville, Alabama Space and Rocket center among so many interesting things, two things stuck out at opposite ends of the spectrum. The huge size of the Saturn V booster and its engines. The incredibly tiny fragile size of the Mercury capsules. Gemini wasn't really much bigger considering it held two astronauts. So I'll second von Braun as being the thrustmaster.

And to think, Frank can satisfyingly reproduce the entire acoustic power of a Saturn V at takeoff with his 5 inch speakers in the HTIB modified rig using only 10 clean watts per channel.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And to think, Frank can satisfyingly reproduce the entire acoustic power of a Saturn V at takeoff with his 5 inch speakers in the HTIB modified rig using only 10 clean watts per channel.

I took the opportunity to ride my dirt bike down to the Cape from Jacksonville to get as close as I could to a Moon Launch.

Wow, I was still 7 miles away...

upload_2017-1-11_4-50-54.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I took the opportunity to ride my dirt bike down to the Cape from Jacksonville to get as close as I could to a Moon Launch.

Wow, I was still 7 miles away..
Still have never heard the crackle of those big rockets live. Have to take a ride over there for a big launch sometime before I'm worm food.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I took a tour of Cape Canaveral and it was one of the most eye opening and educational things I have done. Didn't know for example that they had to fill the launchpad with water to keep the flames from cooking the concrete! And the scale of stuff you see is mind numbing. Amazing that we accomplished all of that so many decades ago.

As an aside, the entire area around it is a protected sanctuary. I used to go there in winter to take pictures of birds.

Top Bottom