• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120A or Genelec 8030C?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
genelec neumann.jpg

Hello,

I've decided that one of these will be my next speakers unless these or the 8040 get an update or Neumann makes a 6.5" model in the meantime. But I find it very hard to choose as both:
* Have a solid aluminium body (designed to prevent diffraction in the case of Genelec).
* Use a deep waveguide providing controlled directivity.
* Have a solid enough electronic departement with enough knobs for me.
* Sport a very good Peerless HDS (or equivalent) 130mm woofer.
* Have a documented very low residual self-noise and a high max SPL.
* Are around 1000-1100€/pair; the Genelecs are just a bit cheaper.
* Both are made in the EU, though Genelec may be slightly better in my eyes since they keep it in one central workshop and the company is owned by nobody but itself.
* Have amazing measurements:
8030C:
8030C_horizontal_response.png

KH120A:
index.php

index.php

I'm currently leaning toward Genelec because:
* Back ports are just better, especially in nearfield scenarios, unless you want to stick the monitor to the wall.
* Class D amps should mean a bit less heat, and the south of France doesn't lack heat.
* A free additional spare parts warranty of 3 years is nice at this price point.
* I dig the sci-fi look.

The only differences that could matter are:
* The Neumann has a 25 mm tweeter while Genelec's is 19mm, causing Genelec to have a slightly wider directivity.
* Because of that, the Neumann crosses at 2kHz while the Genelec do it at 3kHz; meaning a more strained woofer for Genelec.
* The Genelec has a useful power saving mode.

Anyone knowing more than me that could help change or secure my quite wavering choice? EDIT: opted for Genelec.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you prefer wider or narrower directivity? If I'm reading the SPL vs polar graphs right, i think the genelecs are a slightly wider directivity design.

bunnyfuzz

I purchased a new pair of Genelec 8030C's and a pair of 7040A's in 2019. I sold my two sets of Genelec M040's. I figured that since I could only use one set at a time I would consolidate and get Genelecs with stereo subs. The Neumann KH120 was a consideration, but Neumann's sub compliments were more expensive (and large) so stereo subs weren't an option here.

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm

I was tempted by all the the GLM talk and magic from Genelec, but the extra cost, wires and the software requirement made me go the simple Classic analog route. FYI, I don't think Genelec GLM currently works with OS Catalina.

Anyway, my 8030/7040 system sounds great. I haven't made much of an effort to "set up" the system with the dip switches, but it still sounds fantastic to me. Currently I just have the 8030's sitting on top of the 7040's.

Since upgrading is a constant, I think that these "smaller and less expensive" Genelec products will retain more of their original price than larger more expensive and/or high tech products (Genelec's included), plus they're very flexible in application and placement.

I like the 8030's very much. The build quality is very satisfying. The auto ON/OFF (with both speaker and sub) is a godsend and there's no startling ON/OFF pops like ATC. The design of the 7040 is also thoughtful and well executed. Easy to place and handle. I can perceive some self-noise from the tweeters if I put my ear up to them. No self-noise from any of the larger drivers.

Might get stands for the 8030's and I might upgrade to 7050 subs. The bass is very addictive. It gives power to music that I previously thought I knew. Very fun.

I vote for the 8030's
IMG_1072.jpeg

Last edited:

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you state the distance from your listening point?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you wait for Amir's measuremnts and informal listening tests as it's probably gonna be fun.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If listened in larger distances I would opt for the Genelec as if the sound power measurement of this Klippel NFS presentation https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/us..._3D_Sound_Field_using_Near_Field_Scanning.pdf (slide 41) is valid, its not as continuous as the one of the Genelec, making it sounding dark on higher distances.

View attachment 47553View attachment 47554

(the red lines were added by me)

Personally I also prefer the looks of the 8030 :p
Is that some kind of BBC dip I see in the sound power curve? Quite far away from the straight line it looks.

bunnyfuzz

My listening distance is about 1m for convenience. My original setup was a bit more spead out in a different room and they really sounded big. The flexibility of these speakers is fantastic. Iso-pod feet fit right on top of the 7040's cylinder. £8 Apple dongle. £26 Behringer Volume Controller.
IMG_1073.jpeg

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
If you are thinking about getting a subwoofer, too, i suggest to take a look at the Neumann KH 750 DSP. It is able to add DSP/EQ functionality not only to the KH 80 but also KH 120. For stereo the combination of KH 120 and KH 750 is a great offer i think.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to hear an album mixed 11 meters away!
You should look therefore at the recommended distances (where direct sound portion is similar to reflected) and not maximum distances which refer mainly to max SPL similar like in the Genelec chart posted above.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have a short video too:

This is generally my preferred setup, though you need room EQ to really make it work its best.
If there are nulls, there should also be some peaks (+6dB ?) or am I forgetting something?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there are nulls, there should also be some peaks (+6dB ?) or am I forgetting something?

In any case, as noted in the video above, because monopole speakers radiate less energy rearward at higher frequencies, the dips and peaks are much lower in amplitude than when you have the speaker further from the wall and the dips are lower in frequency response.

All this is a big part of the appeal of the D&D 8Cs too: they use the wall behind the speakers on purpose. And it works incredibly well. Never had such good bass with such little effort as with the 8Cs.

Top Bottom