• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

ahmedmo1

Yes same issue on TV and same purchase time. This is all very strange...

What is strange is the device used to show up different in Device Manager- it was called "DX3 Pro" and it's now called "TOPPING USB DAC".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but will give it another shot.

MattH5

What is strange is the device used to show up different in Device Manager- it was called "DX3 Pro" and it's now called "TOPPING USB DAC".
One might be the name when using it with the default Windows drivers instead of the Topping drivers.

So it happens with your TV as well... suppose it also does that with the default Windows drivers?
At that point I'd say it solidly points to a device issue, either hardware or firmware, so I think you should contact Topping. Hopefully it's fixable with a FW update rather than a return.

MattH5

Hmm maybe, same version my V2 unit shows.

I also just checked again and my balance settings are greyed out now as well!? But my left/right channels are still separated properly. I could swear those were adjustable before, otherwise why are they even there...

ahmedmo1

Okay... what device do you have yours plugged into?

Do me a favor- when you play the below video using the Dx3 Pro. When it says left, does it ONLY play from the left channel and when it says right, does it play ONLY from the right channel or both? Each prompt should ONLY play from it's respective channel.

MattH5

Into my desktop PC. And yep I've tested with your video, left is 100% only on the left channel and right is on the right. I play games a lot as well so I would notice very quickly and be rather unhappy if my device had the same issue :)

ahmedmo1

Just tried the different outputs and it only plays stereo in headphone amp mode, indicated as when the headphone symbol is solid.

Every other output has it run in mono in both the RCA and headphone out.

This has got to be some sort of joke...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just tried the different outputs and it only plays stereo in headphone amp mode, indicated as when the headphone symbol is solid.

Every other output has it run in mono in both the RCA and headphone out.

This has got to be some sort of joke...

That's a huge fail LOL. Never encountered a DAC like that. Quite the opposite of the Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC I have lol

ahmedmo1

Oh damn, I was only testing headphone mode.

Jeez, can you test using the rear RCAs then on the speakers please? Just double click the dials to get to another output option. Then test the Left-Right video.

Thanks,

Last edited:

MattH5

I don't have the right cables to use the rear output :(

Since you did say "Every other output has it run in mono in both the RCA and headphone out. " I set it to DAC + headphone output and I still had stereo sound through the headphone out. Don't know if that's of any use.

ahmedmo1

I don't have the right cables to use the rear output :(

Since you did say "Every other output has it run in mono in both the RCA and headphone out. " I set it to DAC + headphone output and I still had stereo sound through the headphone out. Don't know if that's of any use.

OMG! I swear I'm a mouth-breather. I shouldn't be allowed to breed.

The reason it was just mono on the unit on my TV was because of reset output settings on my miniDSP 2x4HD. Every input (L&R analog) was connecting to every output, including the L&R analog. Once I fixed that, Stereo works great!

The issue with the DX3 Pro connected to my PC actually was the cables- one of the splitter cables that let me connect a sub was actually mono but advertised as stereo.

Sigh... I'm such a knuckle dragger. Problem wasn't ever real.

MattH5

LOL. Well at least it's resolved and now we all know there isn't an issue with the DX3 :)

hayche

Topping is a very primitive sound with anemic bass

I get very strong bass with audeze lcd 2 closed, certainly not anemic. I also get a very neutral balanced sound with HD800.
Using raspberry pi connected through usb. Digione though coax definitely sounds thinner and leaner compared to USB

peder2tm

I would like to use an extension cable for the DC input. I see that these extensions exists in two version. 5.5 mm outer diameter with 2.1 mm inner diameter or 5.5 mm outer diameter with 2.5 mm inner diameter. Do you guys know which one DX3Pro is using?
EDIT: According to Audiophonics website, the power supply is DC15V 1A via Jack DC 5.5/2.1mm

Last edited:

jani80k

I am puzzled... My SMSL M500 provides totally fine bass to my TIN T2s and so does the Audio Out of my Laptop. As soon as I plug them into the DX3 Pro, the bass is literally non-existant.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am puzzled... My SMSL M500 provides totally fine bass to my TIN T2s and so does the Audio Out of my Laptop. As soon as I plug them into the DX3 Pro, the bass is literally non-existant.
The DX3 V2 has higher output impedance. m500 is flat. I would expect the opposite though in terms of bass, but who knows..

jani80k

The DX3 V2 has higher output impedance. m500 is flat. I would expect the opposite though in terms of bass, but who knows..
I have tested it with my 58Xs and it's the same. Bass is much thinner on DX3 Pro. It's better than on Tin T2s which dont have a great bass response to begin with but the difference is showing, too. Much more bass on M500 and Audio Out than on DX3 Pro. DX3 seems a bit clearer and more separated though.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

He’s plugging in IEMs (BA or hybrid DD+BA) which will have more bass emphasis as the output impedance of headphone amp goes to zero or as damping factor increases. My Campfire Andromeda is an extreme version of this where a minute change in the output impedance can make it sound totally recessed in bass. Heck it’s the only IEM that I can differentiate the sound from different DAPs and dongles due to sensitivity to the headphone jack’s output impedance. Interesting that OTL tube amps paired to 300 ohm headphones have opposite effect where the higher output impedance provide more bass emphasis to those headphones.

Top Bottom