• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Here are a few biological facts:

No human can hear outside 20Hz to 20kHz frequency response.
1) sound below 50Hz or so is mostly body sensation, not cochlear sensation.
2) kids can hear above 20kHz, even some teens, in some cases. By the time you can drink, however, very few can hear over 20K. The real point is that in real music, there is rarely any energy there, either, at any distance from the instruments.
No human can hear harmonic distortion below 1% for music or below 0.5% for a pure sinewave.
That depends very much on both the frequency of the sine wave and the order of the distortion. For 2nd order distortions and low/mid frequencies, your statement is mostly true.
No human can tell the difference between music played using 120db dynamic range, and the same music played using 70db+ dynamic range.
If you mean "local SNR" in time, probably true. You can certainly tell the difference in noise floor in our listening rooms. Yes, they are custom built.
No human can hear background noise of music played with SNR of 70db and above
I'm not sure what you meant there.
IOW, any audio component that meets the above minimum scores, will sound just as good to any other component that scores higher measurements results...

Maybe for a typical living room, yes. That's a different subject. My living room would allow more for more than that, and our custom built listing rooms would certainly reveal things that you might find surprisingly disturbing.

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning
sensation

I wonder if you could clarify your use of the word "sensation"? In psychology, as I understand, there is a distinction between "perception" (following processing in our "head") and "sensation" ("raw data" sent by our senses for further processing.) I appreciate a strict split between the two isn't necessarily as clear-cut as might have been believed.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I wonder if you could clarify your use of the word "sensation"? In psychology, as I understand, there is a distinction between "perception" (following processing in our "head") and "sensation" ("raw data" sent by our senses for further processing.) I appreciate a strict split between the two isn't necessarily as clear-cut as might have been believed.

The words are not always used properly, but in this case I'm saying that the "organ" that detects the sound (not the brain processing it) is mostly the chest and abdomen below 50 Hz, and that due to the filtering of the eardrum, there is little sensation in the cochlea.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I use analytic signal, i.e. abs(ifft(positive spectrum)) You can weight the spectrum appropriately to a given ERB to get a real good idea of what's up in that ERB.

Thanks, that's what I thought. About 38yr. ago with a little help from our HP apps guy I was able to make one of their 20Hz to 20MHz spectrum analyzers do Dick Heyser's TDS on speakers. He gave me an Easter egg hidden in the firmware that turned off forced autocal which was triggered by what I was doing.

Reactions: j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Thanks, that's what I thought. About 38yr. ago with a little help from our HP apps guy I was able to make one of their 20Hz to 20MHz spectrum analyzers do Dick Heyser's TDS on speakers. He gave me an Easter egg hidden in the firmware that turned off forced autocal which was triggered by what I was doing.

If you go here, you'll find a modern approach that is, I suspect, rather similar:

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2012/jj_jan/

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The lowest frequency that can be identified as 'tone' is in the 10 Hz range. Modern music uses bass notes down to 16 Hz (C0, also lowest tone on big pipe organs) without overtones/harmonics. Anyone with a serious headphone can easily verify that with simple YouTube videos (in case your favorite music misses such frequencies, which was the norm in the Vinyl age), and you don't need body sensation to hear that low.

Reproducing such low frequencies with speakers is a very different story with lots of problems, though.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The lowest frequency that can be identified as 'tone' is in the 10 Hz range. Modern music uses bass notes down to 16 Hz (C0, also lowest tone on big pipe organs) without overtones/harmonics.

Are you disagreeing with my statement that body sensation is the PRIMARY sensation?

As to using headphones, etc, I presume you've verified several things, first that your system is not adding harmonics (I want to see the headphones that don't do that), and second that you can actually discern pitch at 10Hz.

I must also point out that a 32 foot pipe DOES have harmonics. ANY 32 foot pipe has some harmonics, but yes, you can surely feel the fundamental. In a super-clean headphone you might hear the original as well, but do recall that below 700Hz, sensation drops by 6dB/octave due to the ear drum.

There are at least 2 organs with 64 foot pipes (and I believe a couple with 32 foot closed pipes, which is the same "pitch" if that can be said to be pitch). I've not experienced one, though. I have certainly hard the Wanamaker with its 32 foot rank going strong.

Serge Smirnoff

I find it troubling that the "4-bit dithered" and "4-bit truncated" are so close together and that the "4-bit dithered" gets a worse score. I wonder if you have listened to them?
I listened only a few samples from your set, including "4-bit dithered" and "4-bit truncated". The distortion of sound is pretty heavy in both cases but with this particular sample the "4-bit truncated" version sounds not bad really (even cool)) and I'm sure many people will find it sounding more close to the original than the dithered one. Did anybody else listen them?

If an objective is to characterise the performance of DAC's, then how is this helpful, considering that, for example, noise-shaping is fundamental to the operation of delta-sigma DACs?
Dithering usually change artifact signature of bits truncation operation to the extent when the use of df parameter for judging audio quality becomes questionable. The illustration is here in the end of the post - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...od-for-measuring-distortion.10282/post-290829. ADCs/DACs usually have low df levels where particular structure of degradation becomes less important and df levels become more indicative. I will address the issue a bit later.

Last edited:

Serge Smirnoff

Here is results of df measurements of @j_j samples:

bzzz44d2a.wav_cut.wav(44)__bzzz44.wav(44)__left_400-15.9604-15.9006-15.8454.png

bzzz44d2a.wav_cut.wav(44)__bzzz44.wav(44)__left_400-15.9604-15.9006-15.8454

bzzz44d3a.wav_cut.wav(44)__bzzz44.wav(44)__left_400-22.0890-22.0290-21.9570.png

bzzz44d3a.wav_cut.wav(44)__bzzz44.wav(44)__left_400-22.0890-22.0290-21.9570

altbzzz44d2a.wav_cut.wav(44)__altbuzz44.wav(44)__left_400-18.3756-18.3725-18.3695.png

altbzzz44d2a.wav_cut.wav(44)__altbuzz44.wav(44)__left_400-18.3756-18.3725-18.3695

altbzzz44d3a.wav_cut.wav(44)__altbuzz44.wav(44)__left_400-24.5378-24.5324-24.5301.png

altbzzz44d3a.wav_cut.wav(44)__altbuzz44.wav(44)__left_400-24.5378-24.5324-24.5301

As artifact signature is not defined for stationary signals in df-metric, df levels above just measure degradation of initial waveform in this case. Audibility of the degradation can not be assessed, sorry.

Instead you can use your particular processings with real music and then df-metric will show some results regarding their audibility. Such results can differ with various music samples.

In df-metric there is no need to measure audibility of distortion with technical/stationary signals. Even if one can elaborate some reliable metric with such signals, it will be extremely difficult to generalize those relations/findings to real music. Testing with t-signals is helpful mostly for designers of audio circuits/algorithms because it helps to find the issues that can be improved/fixed.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
As artifact signature is not defined for stationary signals in df-metric, df levels above just measure degradation of initial waveform in this case. Audibility of the degradation can not be assessed, sorry.

Instead you can use your particular processings with real music and then df-metric will show some results regarding their audibility. Such results can differ with various music samples.

In df-metric there is no need to measure audibility of distortion with technical/stationary signals. Even if one can elaborate some reliable metric with such signals, it will be extremely difficult to generalize those relations/findings to real music. Testing with t-signals is helpful mostly for designers of audio circuits/algorithms because it helps to find the issues that can be improved/fixed.

Not sure what you're saying here. Of course one can define an error spectrum for a stationary signal. Not sure what you're saying here.

Did you listen (at low level) to the original and distorted signals?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but a smaller number is better (more negative), yes?

Did you listen to the d2a and d3a signals?

xr100

I listened only a few samples from your set, including "4-bit dithered" and "4-bit truncated". The distortion of sound is pretty heavy in both cases but with this particular sample the "4-bit truncated" version sounds not bad really (even cool)) and I'm sure many people will find it sounding more close to the original than the dithered one. Did anybody else listen them?

Try listening to the start of the file with the "auto-panned" synth toms...

By "distortion," are you including the TPDF noise that was added in dithering?

The highly audible quantization effects in the truncated file can be considered as a "cool" effect in a "bit-crunched" "80's" way and those of a certain age may find them quite reminiscent of, for instance, certain sound chips found in early home computers and games consoles. (The Yamaha 4-operator FM chip in the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, for example.) However, it represents gross distortion and is not suitable for general purpose use.

(4-bit TPDF dithered version is unusable, too, but that's sort of missing the point.)

Dithering usually change artifact signature of bits truncation operation to the extent when the use of df parameter for judging audio quality becomes questionable. The illustration is here in the end of the post - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...od-for-measuring-distortion.10282/post-290829. ADCs/DACs usually have low df levels where particular structure of degradation becomes less important and df levels become more indicative.

Not quite sure what you mean?

I will address the issue a bit later.

OK.

BTW, it is not easy to "read" the small monochromatic images that you have been uploading. It might be better to upload larger images?

Last edited:

xr100

I've created a synthetic "solo piano" recording using a physically-modelled process, to which Lexicon reverb is added (about 50% mix.) Only a few notes are played.

https://we.tl/t-bUw4vBzBnE

(Download expires after 1 week.)

The original file is "PIANO.WAV" (32-bit float/44.1kHz.)

The processed files are either dithered, rounded, truncated toward negative, or truncated toward zero.

A MATLAB script to do this, kindly provided by JJ, is included ("howtoscrewupsomethingnice.m")

Last edited:

xr100

And here's a modified version of Reaper's "Bit Reduction and Dither w/ Psychoacoustic Noise Shaping" script which implements a couple of extra options, including truncate towards zero.

Code:
desc:Bit Reduction/Dither/Shaping - Truncation Option
desc:Bit Reduction and Dither with Psychoacoustic Noise Shaping and Truncation Option
//tags: utility processing dither
//author: Cockos (EXCEPT added sections)

slider1:16<1,32,1>Output Bit Depth
slider2:1<0,3,1{Off,On,Disabled (Sample Rate Not Supported),Disabled (Overload)}>Psychoacoustic Noise Shaping
slider3:1<0,2,1{Off (Truncate),On (TPDF),On (Highpass TPDF)}>Dither
slider4:2<1,2,0.1>Dither Bit Width (LSB)
// Add slider
slider5:1<0,3,1{Negative,Positive,Zero}>Round

in_pin:left input
in_pin:right input
out_pin:left output
out_pin:right output

@init

N = 0;
coeffs = 0;

// All coefficients John Schwartz 2007.
// http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

(srate == 44100) ? (
  N = 9;
  coeffs[0] = 2.372839;
  coeffs[1] = -3.132662;
  coeffs[2] = 3.203963;
  coeffs[3] = -2.853749;
  coeffs[4] = 1.971429;
  coeffs[5] = -1.013035;
  coeffs[6] = 0.369805;
  coeffs[7] = -0.091063;
  coeffs[8] = 0.013578;

// Wannamaker 1992 coefficients for reference.
  //
  // coeffs[0] =  2.412;
  // coeffs[1] = -3.370;
  // coeffs[2] =  3.937;
  // coeffs[3] = -4.174;
  // coeffs[4] =  3.353;
  // coeffs[5] = -2.205;
  // coeffs[6] =  1.281;
  // coeffs[7] = -0.569;
  // coeffs[8] =  0.0847;
) :
(srate == 48000) ? (
  N = 9;
  coeffs[0] = 2.077677;
  coeffs[1] = -2.721001;
  coeffs[2] = 2.602012;
  coeffs[3] = -2.157415;
  coeffs[4] = 1.398085;
  coeffs[5] = -0.84755;
  coeffs[6] = 0.373337;
  coeffs[7] = -0.161701;
  coeffs[8] = 0.003758;
) :
(srate == 88200) ? (
  N = 10;
  coeffs[0] = -0.037508;
  coeffs[1] = 2.14333;
  coeffs[2] = -0.089328;
  coeffs[3] = -2.38445;
  coeffs[4] = 0.376261;
  coeffs[5] = 1.940341;
  coeffs[6] = -0.463485;
  coeffs[7] = -1.241821;
  coeffs[8] = 0.157735;
  coeffs[9] = 0.412081;
) :
(srate == 96000) ? (
  N = 10;
  coeffs[0] = -0.26496;
  coeffs[1] = 1.847721;
  coeffs[2] = 0.692557;
  coeffs[3] = -1.949565;
  coeffs[4] = -0.691542;
  coeffs[5] = 1.415063;
  coeffs[6] = 0.463352;
  coeffs[7] = -0.792872;
  coeffs[8] = -0.229575;
  coeffs[9] = 0.156314;
);

(N == 0) ? (
  psycho = 0;
  slider2 = 2;
  sliderchange(slider2);
);

errBufL = coeffs + N;
errBufR = errBufL + N;

@slider

resolution = 2 ^ (slider1 - 1);
psycho = (slider2 == 1);
tpdf = (slider3 == 1);
hiTPDF = (slider3 == 2);
ditherX = slider4 / 2.0;

// For added slider
trneg = (slider5 == 0);
trpos = (slider5 == 1);
trzero = (slider5 == 2);
// End

memset(errBufL, 0, N);
memset(errBufR, 0, N);
p = 0;

zL = zR = 0.5;
rndL = rndR = 0.0;

@sample

sL = spl0;
sR = spl1;

(psycho) ? (
  i = 0;
  q = p;
  loop(N,
    sL -= coeffs[i] * errBufL[q];
    sR -= coeffs[i] * errBufR[q];
    i += 1;
    q += 1;
    (q == N) ? (q = 0);    // % is expensive.
  );
);

(tpdf) ? (
  zL = 0.5 + (rand(1) + rand(1) - 1.0) * ditherX;
  zR = 0.5 + (rand(1) + rand(1) - 1.0) * ditherX;
) :
(hiTPDF) ? (
  zL = 0.5 + rndL;
  zR = 0.5 + rndR;
  rndL = rand(1) * ditherX;
  rndR = rand(1) * ditherX;
  zL -= rndL;
  zR -= rndR;
);

// Implement negative/positive/zero option

(trneg) ?  (
spl0 = floor(sL * resolution + zL) / resolution;
spl1 = floor(sR * resolution + zR) / resolution;
);

(trpos) ? (
spl0 = ceil(sL * resolution + zL) / resolution;
spl1 = ceil(sR * resolution + zR) / resolution;
);

(trzero) ? (
snL = sign(spl0);
snR = sign(spl1);
spl0 = ((floor(abs(sL * resolution + zL))) * snL) / resolution;
spl1 = ((floor(abs(sR * resolution + zR))) * snR) / resolution;
);

// End

spl0 = max(-1.0, min(spl0, 1.0));
spl1 = max(-1.0, min(spl1, 1.0));

(psycho) ? (
  (p == 0) ? (p = N - 1) : (p -= 1);  // % is expensive.
  errBufL[p] = spl0 - sL;
  errBufR[p] = spl1 - sR;

(abs(spl0) == 1 || abs(spl1) == 1) ? (
    psycho = 0;
    slider2 = 3;
    sliderchange(slider2);
  );
);

Serge Smirnoff

Not sure what you're saying here. Of course one can define an error spectrum for a stationary signal. Not sure what you're saying here.

Did you listen (at low level) to the original and distorted signals?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but a smaller number is better (more negative), yes?

Did you listen to the d2a and d3a signals?
Probably you wanted to demonstrate the case where lower df levels result in more annoying degradation of the original. This can easily happen as any objective parameter (especially the simple one like df level) or a set of them can not correlate reliably to perceived audio quality due to the very specific character of human hearing (quaintly crafted by the evolution). So, in addition to measured quantity parameter there should be some method for subjective assessment of audibility of a particular type of degradation (qualitative estimation). That's what artifact signatures are for. The idea is simple - audibility of similar distortions can be assessed by their amount. In df-metric the type of a degradation is characterized by an artifact signature of that degradation. The artifact signature is a vector of df levels measured with some music signal (the longer and more varied - the better), it shows how a signal is degraded with time. Such df vectors can be compared with one another and their similarity can be measured in many ways. I use simple Mean_Average_Error-based distance metric (other metrics give similar results). The resulting distance between art.signatures tells us whether we can use df levels for assessment of audibility of the degradation. The distance less than 1.5 - 2.0dB is safe for such inferences. This simple method assumes that we use real music signal because only in this case the vector of df levels consists of different values, which characterize the type of degradation. In case of a stationary signal all df levels are equal and the art.signature is undefined. So, df-metric can not assess audibility of distortions with stationary/technical signals. As we can use real signals for the estimation there is no need to do this with t-signals. The more so as the relation of audibility of a degradation with t-signals to audibility of that degradation with m-signal is very unclear.

One more explanation of art.signatures with examples is here - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...od-for-measuring-distortion.10282/post-284457

Serge Smirnoff

By "distortion," are you including the TPDF noise that was added in dithering?
Yes, from a listener perspective both files are degraded/distorted versions of the original. One can be preferred to another depending on pesonal audio taste.

The highly audible quantization effects in the truncated file can be considered as a "cool" effect in a "bit-crunched" "80's" way and those of a certain age may find them quite reminiscent of, for instance, certain sound chips found in early home computers and games consoles.
And your music sample is exactly from that era ))

Serge Smirnoff

Not quite sure what you mean?
Usually dithering and truncation have different art.signatures and can not be compared by df levels. But the less the degradation of a signal (lower df levels), the more similar art.signatures of various types of bit reduction (the type of dithering is less important for 32->24 than for 32->16/8/4). In other words, audibility of only "small" bit reductions can be safely assessed by df levels.

Top Bottom