• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some headphone's relative volume seems different?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've noticed that sometimes a certain headphone will be louder than another when it comes to playing two different content and the relative volume between the two different audio contents.

For instance, if i'm listening to music and all the sudden I get a call from facebook or google voice. The sound of the ringing will sound way louder than other headphones, almost too loud, to the point of seeming like it could break the driver (I'm just anal though).

Maybe it's just something simple, like I listen to certain headphones louder than other. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I think, if I understand you correctly, that you're talking about sensitivity and frequency response. Higher sensitivity means greater output for the same voltage. A different frequency response will not only affect tone, but your sense of subjective loudness as well.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Really hard to explain tbh.

I'll have two pairs of headphones and listen to them at the same level, but a noise from another application will sound louder on one headphone than the other when listening to content at the same volume.

I guess frequency response would make sense though. If the ringing is in the highs and the headphone is more bright, that makes sense.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Really hard to explain tbh.

I'll have two pairs of headphones and listen to them at the same level, but a noise from another application will sound louder on one headphone than the other when listening to content at the same volume.

I guess frequency response would make sense though. If the ringing is in the highs and the headphone is more bright, that makes sense.

Were the 2 headphones set at the same SPL (as in measured at transducer) or set at the same volume knob position ? Those are not the same things. Even though to your ears, they sound the same as different headphone frequency responses can be perceived to have same SPL when they are not.

Hipper

What headphones are we talking about?

Some headphones have different impedance then others, which means they play louder or quieter at the same volume shown on the headphone amp. Some headphone amps have a 'gain' switch to allow for this. This increases or decreases the voltage which has an impact on the volume you hear.

Top Bottom