• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Video Game Soundtracks

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

esm

Forum Donor
Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but FutureGrind is crazy, and the music is well-matched (I'm kind of a fan of bignic's stuff):

Game: https://www.futuregrind.net/
OST: https://bignic.bandcamp.com/album/futuregrind-ost

And I spent way too many hours playing Need For Speed: Underground when it came out to not mention the soundtrack for it. (I'm a sucker for anything involving The Crystal Method.) I don't think you were ever able to buy this as an official OST, but there's a few playlists floating around on Spotify for it (although not all of the songs are available there).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
While Castlevania and Mega Man (especially Mega Man X) are widely cited as the best video game OSTs, I think Ninka Gaiden II really is one notch above. Here's a link:

Reactions: Tks

blackmetalboon

My computer game playing days are far behind me but the late Richard Joseph produced some of my favourite soundtracks of the early 90’s...

Another soundtrack that really stood out was from the bonkers wasp/insect based shoot-em-up Apidya by Chris Huelsbeck.

Turns out this soundtrack is available on Bandcamp!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unreal Tournament has some great music. Very metalishy and aggressive stuff.

GokieKS

I will always be partial to OSTs from JRPGs, but as far as I'm concerned, Journey's soundtrack by Austin Wintory is basically the pinnacle of the orchestral video game music. Not only are the pieces fantastic on their own, the way they worked with the actual gameplay made Journey one of my all-time gaming experiences.

OP
A

Allswell

I will always be partial to OSTs from JRPGs, but as far as I'm concerned, Journey's soundtrack by Austin Wintory is basically the pinnacle of the orchestral video game music. Not only are the pieces fantastic on their own, the way they worked with the actual gameplay made Journey one of my all-time gaming experiences.

I would have to agree with you in regards to Journey's soundtrack...
I remember the first time I heard it (played it) and was so captivated by it (and still am).

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Anybody who likes video game soundtracks needs to know about lara6683.

Lara de Wit (born 6 June 1983) is a South African Australian pianist, violinist, arranger, composer and music teacher. She had been employed by Opera Australia until 2015, where she also worked as a répétiteur.[1] de Wit is also widely known for her covers of music from video games, film and theatre soundtracks, and anime, featured on her Twitch and YouTube channels, called "lara6683".

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/lara6683/videos

Twitch:

If you catch her at the right time, you got live music all day long. I especially like her sunday streams.

Tks

Major Contributor

I remember the subtle discovery of a certain gameplay aspect I had no idea was coming. I hope everyone can experience that some day.

Have you played their prior game called Flower? That was a wonderful experience too.

As for recent video game soundtracks I've discovered and fell in love with:

GokieKS

Have you played their prior game called Flower? That was a wonderful experience too.

Yep, I've been a big fan of Jenova Chen / thatgamecompany since the original flOw was released as a flash game. I think Flower is still their most interesting work just due to how unique it is, but Journey is much more complete as a game.

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom