• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His measurements are over ppm. Apx555 here has distortion harmonics of near -150db which is 30db less than ppm. Any precision analogue designer knows that sub ppm is a completely different world.
Even then, Douglas self has stated in the amplifier design book that feedback resistors of the amplifier are extremely important because of the voltage coefficient. Any voltage division will have voltage coefficient in the equation.
Yep. And it's easy to fix: just use several resistors in series; it reduces voltage over each resistor which reduces distortion accordingly.
Just let amir measure -3db or so attenuation and see how the harmonic goes. I predict it will increase to around -130db or even -120db instead of the -150db mark without any attenuation.
I don't think so. @amirm did measure with attenuation of -6 dB in low gain. He should remeasure at max volume (and maybe -6dB input voltage?) to see if THD goes down.

Kw6

Damn 9db is alot. Poor QC. I wonder if other units are better? Seems like good value.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s,s bougth used so how old is it really .? So one channel is probably broken ?

How robust are preamps can you destroy them by shorting an output for example .

Are the rca output broken in a similar way ?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
We will have to agree to disagree. If we view listening tests as unproductive and usually misleading, evaluation of equipment is then quite alien to our actual capability to discern and make choice, which includes enjoyment.

Dwelling in a world of measurements and visual treats alone, Yes is informative to a degree and looks very impressive, but should always be, IMO secondary to actual listening experience.

Listening tests are absolutely fine, it's performing them without controls and sighted which makes them unproductive and misleading. Measurements don't suffer from bias etc.

Your personal "enjoyment" is irrelevant to anyone else and the actual equipment performance.

Measurements will always be more informative than sighted uncontrolled listening.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yep. And it's easy to fix: just use several resistors in series; it reduces voltage over each resistor which reduces distortion accordingly.

I don't think so. @amirm did measure with attenuation of -6 dB in low gain. He should remeasure at max volume (and maybe -6dB input voltage?) to see if THD goes down.
First one yes. It does help. But the difference between good and mediocre resistor can be tens even hundreds. So using 2 or 3 pretty good not best resistors is pretty good choice.

Second one, i think I meant passive path. Active path tho, who knows what schiit does to the signal. It's too large of distortion to even begin to discuss at this level.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How is this for measurement at different gains? Input is at 4 volts (XLR; will use 2 volts for RCA):

1579402256162.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It’s,s bougth used so how old is it really .? So one channel is probably broken ?
How long as this model been out? I don't think that long.

And no, it is not broken. It is just out of spec, if there is a spec.

stereo coffee

Audio Company
For 6 high level sources the LAP-2 by Funk Tonstudiotechnik is a very good product, but not really cheap (starting at ~ € 1100). It measures almost perfectly.

In your opinion is it similarly perfect , when tasked with reproducing music ?

If its not perfect reproducing music, can you contribute why that might be - and can you possibly identify if you have time, which part of the schematic is causing that disagreement with measurements then countering listening experience.

gvl

Major Contributor
How is this for measurement at different gains? Input is at 4 volts (XLR; will use 2 volts for RCA):

View attachment 46430

Looks good. Sadly lowering the volume doesn't seem to help. One use case for a Freya could have been to avoid using digital volume control on the DAC. You set the DAC to 0dB and then control the volume on the Freya. But this kind of performance sort of defeats the purpose, one will be better off using the digital volume control on the DAC. Except maybe the passive mode, but it could lead to other issues. Not that the performance is unreasonable, but not a good match for the recent DACs we've seen that reach 120dB SINAD. If one needs to switch several inputs some are balanced I guess the Freya delivers a decent performance-feature/price value. It also converts between balanced and SE in both directions which can be useful.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

That's good Amir. :)

Reviews of amplifiers and preamplifiers used to give worst case noise figures and comment on where in the volume pot range that occurred. i.e. was noise worst at typical input/output settings and whether it increased or decreased towards the full volume position.

As proper preamplifiers typically had a 150mV for rated output, this tendency to use a high input voltage (4V) will either overload some preamplifiers from the past, or give them artificially better S/N at low-med volume settings than they would otherwise achieve. For modern preamplifiers with lower gain and rated 2V or greater inputs, fair is fair.

Pretty much all my preamplifiers are 150mV sensitivity for the line inputs (SE). Even so, they can easily take up to >10V without overload in many cases, but they are rated and all their specifications are based around 150mV for line.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So i guess skip this as a purchase?

If you're not comfortable trying your luck to get a good measuring unit on both channels skip it

Top Bottom