• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Amir has at least one review where poorly measured amp sounded good.
He has on many occasions though. Bad measuring amps like tube amps, as long as they have a lot of current output (power) they will sound good, better than for example some anemic output of laptop or phone. No one is arguing that..

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, Verum 1 has 8 ohm impedance on its specs. @WolfX-700 measured the OI as a function of frequency on his review here and found that it's 10 to 10.1 ohm from 20-20KHz. That's <1 damping factor which would lead to "flat" sound. From this data, I'm confident that @Garuspik has the V2 version which has a terrible OI and serious mismatch to Verum 1 in terms of damping factor.

Just look at Amir's photo on first page and Garuspik and you'll see that his has the Hi-Res Wireless sticker while the V1 did not have that sticker.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, I have V2 recently purchased from Drop. Dampening factor doesn't mean anything for planars. No inductance = no difference in fr because of high OI.

The amp would likely run out of power quite quickly though. Not sure.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I have V2 recently purchased from Drop. Dampening factor doesn't mean anything for planars. No inductance = no difference in fr because of high OI.[/QUOTE]

Care to provide an output impedance vs frequency curve of your Verum 1? With no objective graphs or reference, your statements cannot be called facts

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As absolutely any planar magnetic cans in the history deviation from 20 hz to 20 khz is less then 0.05 ohm. Sure I can provide measurements, but no one need it: any planar magnetic is a pure resistive load.

View attachment 46374

Thanks. As you're already aware, I have just learned at this moment that planars are almost immune to this. In that case, it might be right to assume that the DX3 pro simply can't provide enough power during high transients thus making your Verum sound flat. The DC02 probably has 10x less OI than DX3pro V2 so it's far more efficient in delivering that power to your Verum making it sound "better". BTW, do you have an external amp so you can use the DX3 V2 as pure DAC and let us know how it compares against DX3's HP out?

Yuno

What is DAC? It's a digital to analog converter and most of your forgot about this.
No, you are the one who forgot about it. You act like DAC is some kind of magic voodoo box that makes music sound better or worse. It doesn't, most DACs sound the same. Only exception to this is if DAC is broken to the point of audibility.

You don't study how accurate those dacs transforms 0 and 1 to analogue. Those measurements and graphs absolutely don't answer on this.
Those measurements exactly answer this. DAC is connected to Audio Precision analyzer which measures output. Major difference between you and AP is that you are biased and have flawed hearing (as most humans do), which AP does not.

trotos

Sorry if it has been asked before:
There are 2 options:
F-1 39Khz
F-2 76Khs
I have no idea what they change and I could not find any info.
Can anyone please elaborate? Thank you all

MattH5

Sorry if it has been asked before:
There are 2 options:
F-1 39Khz
F-2 76Khs
I have no idea what they change and I could not find any info.
Can anyone please elaborate? Thank you all
Settings are in the manual that comes with it. I'm sure Topping will have a copy online.
It is "DSD Filter Setting". 39Khz is default.

I guess it's sample rate used for DSD format audio if you are using that. It's not explained further.

MattH5

I don't feel that DX3 pro can't provide enough power. It is indeed very powerful piece of equipment junk.
@majingotan - sure I have external amp and another dac. In fact, I've never had a headphone amplifier before. And I still think that the whole existance of such thing as "headphone amplifier" is nonsense.
I've already compared it to my main Wadia Digimaster x64.4 and it can't be compared at all. Also I compared it to this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dio-alchemy-dde-v3-0-quick-measurements.7558/

And again, topping as dac is worser then Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0. But now, not at significant margin.

Guys, come on. You're doing something terribly wrong. Many people look at your SINAD table and choose dacs and amps based solely on it.

What is DAC? It's a digital to analog converter and most of your forgot about this. You don't study how accurate those dacs transforms 0 and 1 to analogue. Those measurements and graphs absolutely don't answer on this.

Surely all this can be settled by simply measuring the frequency response of your headphones being powered by the Topping vs something else? Weaker bass should be a straightforward thing to measure.
Otherwise this just looks like a pissing contest.

trotos

Settings are in the manual that comes with it. I'm sure Topping will have a copy online.
It is "DSD Filter Setting". 39Khz is default.

I guess it's sample rate used for DSD format audio if you are using that. It's not explained further.

But what it does? should I change it? maximum resolutions file I got are FLAC 96.0 kHz 24-bit?
Sorry about that but I got no idea on those things.

MattG

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but: has a fix for the "goes into suspend/sleep mode" issue? I.e., after approximately two weeks of 24/7 use, it basically goes into a power-saving mode? Easy enough to turn back on (i.e. wake from sleep). But an annoying quirk. Just wondering if Topping ever did a firmware upgrade for this, or anyone figured out a workaround. Thanks!

ahmedmo1

Does this DAC run in dual mono mode only? I noticed there aren't any L/R balance options in windows and when playing L/R audio tests on youtube, I can hear the Left and Right audio sound from both speakers.

For example, the left and right channel sound prompts from the below clip come from both speakers;

MattH5

Nope, definitely proper stereo sound here. Even when trying the video you linked. Something might be wrong with yours, or it might be your cable. Using any extensions or adaptors?
I have one dodgy aux extension built into my monitor mount that swaps the channels around.

Also if you install the Topping drivers for Windows there are a few options in there including left/right balance. Although the drivers don't seem to be required for proper functionality.
Mine is the V2 in case that makes a difference.

ahmedmo1

That's interesting- I tried several cables and it's the same. I also tried the headphone output and it's the same. In that I can hear the left channel and right channel prompts from BOTH the left and right earphones and speakers.

Also, with the drivers, the left and right output volume options are greyed out with only the master volume showing. See attached.

Attachments

• dx3 pro output.png
    dx3 pro output.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 194

Toku

Major Contributor
That's interesting- I tried several cables and it's the same. I also tried the headphone output and it's the same. In that I can hear the left channel and right channel prompts from BOTH the left and right earphones and speakers.

Also, with the drivers, the left and right output volume options are greyed out with only the master volume showing. See attached.
I think you are using DX3Pro with Windows7 audio engine.
Probably monaural playback is selected in the Windows7 audio settings, so uncheck that.

ahmedmo1

I'm on windows 10 and I made sure mono was off in ease of access settings. Also, proper stereo works with other devices - just not this dac.

I have version 1 v1.04 revision driver version 4.47.0.

I have two of these DACs- one for my TV and the other for my computer and both behave the same.

MattH5

That's weird, that same setting is not greyed out for me. Try uninstalling the drivers and uninstall the device in Device Manager to rule out some weird driver issue or setting.
Do they have this issue with your TV as well as your PC? If so maybe it's a problem with a certain batch, were they bought at the same time? Might need to contact Topping.
Try another PC/laptop if you can?

Top Bottom