• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DX3 Pro sounds flat- any adjustments that can be made?

dman777

I just got the Topping DX3 Pro in. When I connect my Samsung S7 cell phone to it through blue tooth, the audio sounds flat. In fact, the native S7 audio without the DX3 pro sounds better because it does not sound flat. Are there any adjustments I need to make to the DX3 so it won't sound flat?

BillG

Major Contributor
You may want to check the various filters the DX has, there are supposedly six of them, to hear if it makes any difference. Also, I'd use the highest quality Bluetooth codec the S7 can transmit - LDAC is suppose to be the best available currently, and should be available via the Developer options.

Failing that, I'd adjust the EQ on whatever media player you're using on the S7 to taste, or I'd purchase a Chromecast Audio, stream losslessly to it, and forget about Bluetooth altogether... :p

PaulD

I just got the Topping DX3 Pro in. When I connect my Samsung S7 cell phone to it through blue tooth, the audio sounds flat. In fact, the native S7 audio without the DX3 pro sounds better because it does not sound flat. Are there any adjustments I need to make to the DX3 so it won't sound flat?
I'd suggest don't connect via bluetooth - it compresses the data stream. You are likely hearing the bluetooth data compression effects far more than the DAC.

BillG

Major Contributor
Bluetooth is fine for casual listening. So I wouldn't dismiss out of hand just because it uses compression. However, it's not quite reached parity with lossless streaming via WiFi. LDAC supposedly gets us closer to that, but without having utilized it myself I can't say for sure... :cool:

trotos

Or perhaps the OP (I do not mean to insult anyone) is used to the soundofwall/loudness/bass oriented sound that is the "standart" for many consumer appliances?

Put the Topping in dac mode. Without the ability to adjust the volume. Use the volume of your smartphone.

urfaust

Isn't flat what we are striving for?

Seriously not underestimate how we get accustomed to bass boosted profiles and such, valley frequency responses. The other day i was testing some pretty terrible IEM for a good half an hour (i like to play a good chunk of my music collection).
When i finally did put it down, my Focal sounded weird and "flat", but it wasn't them. After a few minutes "washing" my ears with nothingness, everything came back to normal.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd suggest to get the THX 789 amp and use the DX3 Pro as pure DAC since DX3's HP out has a fairly high OI and would cause FR dips in mid bass in IEMs or very low impedance headphones.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
When I connect my Samsung S7 cell phone to it through blue tooth, the audio sounds flat.

Define "flat" for me in this discussion...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You probably have some equaliser or DSP enabled on your phone.

urfaust

I'd suggest to get the THX 789 amp and use the DX3 Pro as pure DAC since DX3's HP out has a fairly high OI and would cause FR dips in mid bass in IEMs or very low impedance headphones.
Isn't it only some old Topping that had the high impedance issue?

The DX3 pro measures pretty amazing to me, it's even used as the baseline to compare new gears most of the time
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/

1 Ohm shouldn't cause any issue or weird frequency response. So yes it s gonna be, "flat", as in not particularly hyped in some frequencies. If you are used to something else it might be weird all of a sudden. I think even Windows has some bass boost embedded until you disable "enhancements".

D

Deleted member 2944

Seems like this thread was a troll. This guy left months ago and hasn't been back.

Dave.

lszomb

Forum Donor
Could you suggest one on the opposite side, which has been reviewed in ASR? Want to see what is the difference during the testings. Thanks.

Count me a troll also. Dx3pro sounds exactly the same as it is by nature - cheap chineze crap.

jani80k

I use TIN T2s on:
Laptop Audio Out --> Bass ok
SMSL M500 --> Bass ok
DX3 Pro --> Bass gone

Top Bottom