• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of GUSTARD-DACA22 - 4499 First Show at ASR

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is a review and measurement of the prototype of the Gustard DAC-A22. I had previously purchased the DAC-X26 and U16 USB digital audio interface from the same manufacturer at my own expense, and got good and bad measurement results.

The unit is a "tourist audition prototype" that I obtained by actively contacting the manufacturer.

As far as I know, the price of this unit will be lower than DAC-X26. (The nominal price on Taobao is USD 1099.99)

The unit is very similar to the DAC-X26, except that the button on the right is replaced with a dial. It is slightly lighter than the X26. This is a medium weight and sized unit.

Photo.jpg

Since last year, all kinds of news about AKM's new flagship DAC chip 4499 have come. Many Chinese manufacturers have also invested in the development of related DAC models. In the first half of this year, it was reported that 4499 had various difficult problems (such as low-frequency distortion). And overall the development progress of each company is very slow.

So I have been a little worried about this chip.

Anyway, give the microphone to APx555B. Here is his show time!

Measurements :

I lowered it by 4 dB using the front panel control to get 4 volt in balanced :

ALLDash.jpg

With the same setup, we got 2V on the RCA. The performance is also quite close.
ALLRCA.jpg

Dynamic Range(XLR)

Dynamic-Range---AES17.jpg

Jitter(USB module is still not good)

12K.jpg

THD+N-Freq:I'm glad I haven't seen the legendary low-frequency distortion problem

THD+N-Ratio-Freq.jpg

Linearity:
Linearity-(-20.jpg

IMD vs Level:
SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

Multitone:

Multitone.jpg

Overall, the measurements are pretty good. Although it did not reach the limit of 4499 itself. But as a product that insists on using discrete output stages, such measurements show that they are doing a good job.

Last edited:
OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Thanks for this. A bit unimpressed by SINAD chart however...

RME achieves the same performance (with much lower 2nd harmonic at -132dB)... With only one AK4493:

View attachment 40749

Your test falls short below 4V. Isn't one dB volume more would give you something close to that? (Or 4.1V)

One more dB volume will bring 4.3V. The number of SINAD has not changed

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! A suggestion: could you use a lower screen resolution when printing screens so that the numbers are bigger and easier to read? Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
Nice! A suggestion: could you use a lower screen resolution when printing screens so that the numbers are bigger and easier to read? Thanks!
For me personally these big screenshots work perfectly, hehe :)

SDC

I have a soft spot for discrete circuits and it's great to see at least one company is doing it just fine :)

ZeDestructor

I much prefer the larger, higher-resolution pictures - they look nicer and have more readable graphs on my big 30" desktop monitor.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Nice job!! Probably need your own index thread showing all the devices you've measured.

Feyire

D90 from topping seems to have a better implementation yet.
The results for the Gustard are a bit disappointing indeed, considering that the Topping is using x1 AKM4499, while the Gustard has x2 AKM4499 and is measuring worse.

paawell

Hello
Thank you all for your very good work for the DIY community.
Measuring is just part of the DAC description, and that's great. Does anyone have a listening experience or a comparison with another DAC ?. Thank you all for the reports ...

Tonto

Hi, has anybody listened to the A22? Was wondering listeners impressions regarding detail, soundstage width/depth, imaging and treble/bass extension.

Also any comparison to other recent DACs would be appreciated!

Top Bottom