• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp U-DIO8 USB to AES Converter Review

beatelund

Forum Donor
True.
I am just curious about how good the Okto is at handling incoming jitter :)

Me to! going to use the Okto with a BSS 160 with AES out.
Wonder how much jitter the BSS has on the AES outputs.
Hopefullt BSS AES outputs with Okto Dac is better than just BSS analog out;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would one pair the UDIO-8 with the DAC8 Pro ? Seems kind of redundant since the DAC8 PRO already has a USB input.

Now if miniDSP found a way to stick their miniSharc board into the box, they'd really have something.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Me to! going to use the Okto with a BSS 160 with AES out.
Wonder how much jitter the BSS has on the AES outputs.
Hopefullt BSS AES outputs with Okto Dac is better than just BSS analog out;)

I am planning on the exact same setup. I already have the BSS BLU-160.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am planning on the exact same setup. I already have the BSS BLU-160.
True.
I am just curious about how good the Okto is at handling incoming jitter :)
Si
What would the real world usecase be for a device like this?
For me, I don't see a usecase. If I'm employing something like a Windows box as my source, I'd just feed the USB to an Octo 8 with absolutely no need to convert the data stream to SPIDF. And since it's asynchronous USB and the output Sinad is 118 db and since jitter is a distortion component, no worries about anything in that regard.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
What would the real world usecase be for a device like this?
If you want to go digitally and without ground loops out of a PC into separate DACs. You'd use multiple stereo DACs and you could to either a 7.1 setup or run a Sub/Sat system or just fully activated (up to 4-way) stereo speakers. You're DAC independent with a device like this.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm , Can you measure more than just the 1st 2 channels on these multi-channel products to see if the additional channels are on par, better or worse the first 2 channels ?

TIA

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
It hasn't but given RMEs good track record I would be surprised if it did. What do you propose if you want multi-channel out of a PC? Yes there's the Octo now, but before that, it was really hard to find high quality multi-channel DACs for a reasonable price.

The quality of the Octo drivers is still unkown whereas everybody knows RME drivers are excellent.

g29

It hasn't but given RMEs good track record I would be surprised if it did. What do you propose if you want multi-channel out of a PC? Yes there's the Octo now, but before that, it was really hard to find high quality multi-channel DACs for a reasonable price.

The quality of the Octo drivers is still unkown whereas everybody knows RME drivers are excellent.

Hopefully other vendors will enter the Multi-channel DAC market.

Just looked at the RME (24-bit, 192KHz), $500 on this side of the pond.

If you have one, see if @amirm is interested in reviewing/measuring it.

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
The jitter is almost certainly because the XMOS implementation MiniDSP uses synthesizes the audio clock from the XMOS master clock, and doesn't do it particularly well. It's probably the same issue that other people have noted with the MiniDSP USBstreamer.
I think the okto dac8 pro prototype tested here was using an usbstreamer as well.

g29

I think the okto dac8 pro prototype tested here was using an usbstreamer as well.

The prototype was using the miniDSP drivers. Their production version is supposedly using their own USB/XMOS board along with a bunch of other changes. A good reason for the production version to be reviewed.

QWX4RR9.jpg

USBStreamer Kit

_mg_0566.jpg

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

Now I wonder about the AES output on my SHD Studio. Sigh!

I'm running spdif out of my SHD (full version, not studio). It sounds fine into my Sabaj D5. Note that I do NOT believe that this was true of the NanoDigi - I never tested it as formally as I should have, but I always found that it seemed to be audible even in bypass mode. I don't have those concerns with the SHD at this point.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm running spdif out of my SHD (full version, not studio). It sounds fine into my Sabaj D5. Note that I do NOT believe that this was true of the NanoDigi - I never tested it as formally as I should have, but I always found that it seemed to be audible even in bypass mode. I don't have those concerns with the SHD at this point.
AES is a different interface though. It's why I bought the unit.

devteam

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi Amir and everybody,

Thanks for taking the time to review the UDIO8,

Looking at these measurements, something is quite different from what we're seeing on our side so we'd love to get more info as to the conditions you used to perform the measurement. We just grabbed 5 interfaces now from the stock and they all tested the same. We most likely have a different configuration for the AP or driver used...

See below the Jtest results we're seeing with the UDIO8 vs an APX585 loopback: Quite similar background noise (-180dFS) with peaks at low freq (-140dBFS).
J-test_APX585_AES_loopback_20200117.PNG
J-test_UDIO8_USBtoAES_20200117.PNG

What would be the way to get in touch with you so we nail this? Thanks,

Also, forgot to add but there are indeed ASRC on the digital input. They are here to easily adapt the rate of the input digital stream when not matched to the output rate (or your PC recording rate). i.e. you could have 48k in -> processing on PC - > 192kHz out. A studio application mainly.
To summarise: Two possible paths:

AES-EBU Source -> UDIO-8 input - > SRC4382 chipset performs sample rate conversion - > XMOS - > USB audio

USB - > XMOS -> UDIO8 output (no sample rate conversion)

While SRC have indeed in the past gotten a bad reputation from their limited implementation in early chipset design (limited FIR size), newer versions work better and they do have their benefits in real life applications... Here is a measurement of the input section i.e. APX585 generating the Jtest - > UDIO8 input - > USB audio recording.

J-test_UDIO8_AEStoUSB_20200117.PNG

Happy to answer general questions and hoping to hear back from how to contact Amir directly.

Tony

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

AES is a different interface though. It's why I bought the unit.

Well, yes, I understand that. I was simply providing a data point suggesting that they seem to have paid more attention to the quality of the digital outputs than they have in previous products.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir and everybody,
Hi there. Thanks for joining and responding. The test is very different. It is capturing jitter and analyzing, not the signal itself as you showed. I can share the project file with you.

Top Bottom