• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it would be great to see how the geshelli 2.5 does with xlr in.

JustPoo

It has to be the FiiO BTR5 for me, if it can really output ~250mw into my P1s then it might be the portable DAC/amp I've been after. It's a sixth of the weight of what I've been considering, the Xduoo XD-05 or Plus model, a ninth of the size (volume), and that's without the Bluetooth module. It's also a third of the weight of an NX4 and a quarter of the size, which I've also considered.

If that little thing can truly perform I'll be over the moon. I'm sure Radsone will answer back - if the ES100 just had more power I'd have bought one - and the Qudelix-5K looks interesting. But in the meantime, the BTR5 could be a great option for me, otherwise I really do have to go "full-size" portable. Please be good. Please.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Anything high-end Jap such as Esoteric and Luxman. Though I have a feeling they won't be any better than that Accuphase...

MatteoS

Hello

I would like the review of Spectral audio devices as amplifiers as dma 300
best regards

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Having followed the site for a few months now I have learned a ton and am enormously grateful for all the time and hard work by Amir. I'll happily keep reading any reviews that are posted.

The AVR tests have been really revealing; more of those would be great especially at the middle and higher end of the spectrum to see if any of them can prove their worth. And equipment from brands with popular reputations and / or widespread followings would also be a very interesting focus (Rotel stereo amps, Bowers 800 series, etc.). By focusing on areas that enjoy widespread acceptance like these it might be possible to drive more change and improvements.

Again, many thanks.

Irrenarzt

Has the LTA MZ2 been tested? I couldn't find it in my searching. I found some other mentions of them, but not specifically to the MZ2. Being tube based, I imagine it won't measure well, but it sees a lot of accolades from other sites like Stereophile. Does any tube equipment ever measure well?

celroid

Speakers:

Dynaudio Emit M20
Dali Oberon 3
Triangle BR03
Monitor Audio Bronze 2
Klipsch RP-600M

Amps:

Cambridge Audio CXA61
Emotiva BasX TA-100

GeorgeWalk

Parasound gear:
New Classic 200 PreAmp (has a Burr-Brown DAC in it)
Model 275 v2 Amplifier

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
any speaker by Neumann
any of Genelec "The Ones"
KEF LS50/LSX
A Neumann is coming. KEF is available locally but I need to sync up with the person. So far no Genelec.

Johnb

PSB Alpha P5. Has NRC and Stereophile measurements, would be a good way to check your evolving process. Also, Paul Barton talks about his design process / tradeoffs for this line in an article somewhere.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Ikea Eneby speaker.
I have heard people say that it is surprisingly good.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some amplifiers (classics) that where or are highly praised an compared to other brands that cost double or more. Like the NAD C370 intergrated amp.

Last edited:

OdysseusG

I'm morbidly curious as to how a pair of mini Maggies would do, and have a spare pair boxed up. How would their dipole nature mess with the measurement rig? I haven't fully read through the speaker measurement post/thread so I'm not sure if that's already been accounted for. For that matter, how would one measure the mini Maggie satellites and DWM woofer as a system? Just kind of eyeball "yeah, that placement seems about ok,"?

Koloth

Here are two suggestions of speaker, that have just come to market, one active, one passive, both fairly priced and offering an interesting combination of technologies and looks. IMHO ASR would bring the greatest value to the business by identifying a great sounding (and decent looking) speaker for around 1000 USD/pair. That would be something to recommend to friends and family without hesitation.

tannoy-gold-8-right_400x.jpg

The Tannoy Gold 8, active, coaxial two-way with an 8 inch midwoofer and better looks than just about every other active monitor, 770 USD/pair

EVO4_2_Standard_Walnut__3_600x600.jpg

The Wharfedale Evolution 4.2, passive three-way system with an AMT tweeter and a dome midrange (the only manufacturer I know of to employ such a design along with ATC and Coin Audio (which seemingly has gone out of business)), <1000 USD/pair

EDIT: Another interesting candidate would be whatever the newest model of Martin Logans Motion Bookshelf speaker is. Those always sounded fantastic to me for the money.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Polk's new Legend series: any model -- the L200 would be a practical choice. :)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Here are two suggestions of speaker, that have just come to market, one active, one passive, both fairly priced and offering an interesting combination of technologies and looks. IMHO ASR would bring the greatest value to the business by identifying a great sounding (and decent looking) speaker for around 1000 USD/pair. That would be something to recommend to friends and family without hesitation.

tannoy-gold-8-right_400x.jpg

The Tannoy Gold 8, active, coaxial two-way with an 8 inch midwoofer and better looks than just about every other active monitor, 770 USD/pair

EVO4_2_Standard_Walnut__3_600x600.jpg

The Wharfedale Evolution 4.2, passive three-way system with an AMT tweeter and a dome midrange (the only manufacturer I know of to employ such a design along with ATC and Coin Audio (which seemingly has gone out of business)), <1000 USD/pair

EDIT: Another interesting candidate would be whatever the newest model of Martin Logans Motion Bookshelf speaker is. Those always sounded fantastic to me for the money.
These are indeed very interesting. The Tannoys are absolute phantoms when it comes to reviews.

Top Bottom