• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDR playlist available on Spotify

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This may be old news but for me it has been very helpful in teaching me the difference between HDR tracks and compressed tracks. I have noted a lot of Dire Straits tracks on the playlist; I do not know if it has been "tailored" to my preferences or if it is generic. Just thought I'd pass on this bit of info for those looking to improve their listening skills.

nm4711

Wich playlist do you mean exactly? I found a "High Dynamic Range" playlist by John James. This one has some Dire Straits track at the beginning and is definetly not tailored.

@Veri Yes, HDR in video is great too! :D

OP
E

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Wich playlist do you mean exactly? I found a "High Dynamic Range" playlist by John James. This one has some Dire Straits track at the beginning and is definetly not tailored.

@Veri Yes, HDR in video is great too! :D

yes that's the one, thanks for the clarification. I had expected more classical material but apparently the list is being "curated" by Mr. James and reflects his preferences.

nm4711

yes that's the one, thanks for the clarification. I had expected more classical material but apparently the list is being "curated" by Mr. James and reflects his preferences.

Yeah, he made it. His description says: "A mixture of Jazz, Blues and Classic Rock". So no wonder that there is no classical material.
And thank you for sharing this list. There is alot of music I like, so there are probably other tracks I could like too.

OP
E

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Yeah, he made it. His description says: "A mixture of Jazz, Blues and Classic Rock". So no wonder that there is no classical material.
And thank you for sharing this list. There is alot of music I like, so there are probably other tracks I could like too.

I wonder if we should just accept these tracks as HDR? They sound good to me but I'm a novice at this. Hopefully Spotify has ensured some degree of credibility. I don't know the details of measuring HDR in a recorded track; I learned that measuring dynamic headroom in amplifiers is anything but simple. A quick Google indicates John James is a musician so I'm guessing his selections are entirely "by ear".

nm4711

I wonder if we should just accept these tracks as HDR? They sound good to me but I'm a novice at this. Hopefully Spotify has ensured some degree of credibility. I don't know the details of measuring HDR in a recorded track; I learned that measuring dynamic headroom in amplifiers is anything but simple. A quick Google indicates John James is a musician so I'm guessing his selections are entirely "by ear".

I don‘t think Spotify checks this. It is definetly chosen by him. I don‘t know if he looked at some something like dr.loudness-war.info. Don‘t even know if this is a reliable source. But I like this playlist for the music nonetheless.

Tks

Major Contributor
I really wish music services would provide Dynamic Range ratings on their tracks (yes yes I know there are two ways, maybe more, of coming to this sort of number).

Audio really annoys me with how little consensus there is on standaridizations on general consumer-facing provided info/specs.

VincentYyl

Thanks for sharing, I wanted to streamed the playlist to my Genelec speakers but Spotify doesn't allow this. So I download this Spotify playlist to mp3, they do feel different and kinda wider on bigger speakers.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing, I wanted to streamed the playlist to my Genelec speakers but Spotify doesn't allow this. So I download this {dodgy link remove for quoting} they do feel different and kinda wider on bigger speakers.

Every single one of your posts includes a reference to some dodgy looking website. Care to explain?

Hayabusa

Banned for spam links.

The program seems to be related to the discussion? So why call this spam?

EDIT: I now see that app/program has indeed bad reviews.... I take back my previous question..

Top Bottom