• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

cc1z

Hello,
New to forum and to dac.
Can be used the hidizs s8 as dac for pc and normal speakers?
Thanks for reply.

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I just remeasured my Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro with 100% charged Android's battery, and HibyMusic player 1kHz Fs = 48k 16 and 24bit.
At 32ohm resistor load, it starts to clip at 49mW(previous my measurement has 31mW, and I suspect that my Android wasn't charged properly, and UAPP player used), near to that level THD+N was .0016% for 24bit and .0018% for 16bit. Furthermore, at no-load condition, Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro also looks much better than first time, see attached screenshot. THD+N reading .0002% and max harmonic at the level -124db! So, Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro is better than S8 if loaded(less power yet) and the same if not loaded.
PS: probably the first my Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro measurement, I just kept reference at 1VRMS and didn't measure THD and FFT at 2VRMS DAC supply if no load.. I'll try to discharge my Android later to find the root cause.
2020-01-14_20-27-32.png
PS: probably some you guys, who familiar with Audio Precision analyzers can be surprised that SYS2700 software does the same trick with hires FFT like new APx500. I did implement some short Matlab script for that:

clear;
j=0;
span=1.5;
fid = fopen('C:\Users\64\Desktop\meizu.adx', 'r');
for i=1:1000
b = fscanf(fid,'%s', 1);
if strcmp(b,',,,,,,');
j=j+1;
end;
if j==3;
break;
end;

end;

for i=1:30000;

f = fscanf(fid,'%f', 1);
b = fscanf(fid,'%s', 1);
a = fscanf(fid,'%f', 1);
b = fscanf(fid,'%s', 2);
if i>1 && f<f1(i-1);
break;
end;
f1(i)=f;
a1(i)=a;
end;
f2(1)=f;
a2(1)=a;
for i=2:30000;

if feof(fid)
break;
end;
f = fscanf(fid,'%f', 1);
b = fscanf(fid,'%s', 1);
a = fscanf(fid,'%f', 1);
b = fscanf(fid,'%s', 2);
if isempty(f)
break;
end;
f2(i)=f;
a2(i)=a;

end;
fclose(fid);

peaki = find(a2==max(a2));% the peak frequency index
peakf=f1(peaki);% the peack frequency
floori=find(f1>peakf*span,100);% noise floor samples index
floor1=0;
for i=1:size(floori,2)
floor1=a1(floori(i))+floor1;
end;
floor1=floor1/size(floori,2);

floor2=0;
for i=1:size(floori,2)
floor2=a2(floori(i))+floor2;
end;
floor2=floor2/size(floori,2);

floord=floor1-floor2;% noise floors difference

k=floor1/floor2;
c=0;
for i=1:size(f1,2)
if f1(i)>peakf/span && f1(i)<peakf*span
combo(i)=a2(i)*k+c;
else combo(i)=a1(i);
end;

end;

fid = fopen('C:\Users\64\Desktop\combo.adx', 'w');
fprintf(fid, '\n');
fprintf(fid, 'Fft.FFT Freq., Fft.Ch.1 Ampl, ,,,,,,');
fprintf(fid, '\n');
fprintf(fid, 'Source 1, Data 1, ,,,,,,');
fprintf(fid, '\n');
fprintf(fid, 'Hz, dBr A, ,,,,,,');
fprintf(fid, '\n');
for i=1:size(combo,2)
fprintf(fid,'%f', f1(i));
fprintf(fid, ', ');
fprintf(fid,'%f', combo(i));
fprintf(fid, ', ,,,,,,');
fprintf(fid, '\n');
end;
fclose(fid);

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I just remeasured my Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro with 100% charged Android's battery, and HibyMusic player 1kHz Fs = 48k 16 and 24bit.
At 32ohm resistor load, it starts to clip at 49mW(previous my measurement has 31mW, and I suspect that my Android wasn't charged properly, and UAPP player used), near to that level THD+N was .0016% for 24bit and .0018% for 16bit. Furthermore, at no-load condition, Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro also looks much better than first time, see attached screenshot. THD+N reading .0002% and max harmonic at the level -124db! So, Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro is better than S8 if loaded(less power yet) and the same if not loaded.
PS: probably the first my Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro measurement, I just kept reference at 1VRMS and didn't measure THD and FFT at 2VRMS DAC supply if no load.. I'll try to discharge my Android later to find the root cause.
View attachment 45793
Thanks @IVX. For external amp use the non-pro seems like a great dongle no?. Just bought one for under $20 with a coupon.
Cheers

mrnikt

Well if the Sonata HD Pro is a Hidizs S8 than obviously there's a secondary amp present. It's actually interesting that it gives more on 300 Ohm's load & less at 33 compared to Meizu Pro. We need a teardown to see which amp it is but Hidizs/TT is heavy glued...
I am not convinced even that Meizu HiFi (non pro) doesn't have some kind of it.
First impressions on Sonata HD PRO
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...ts-find-the-best.908839/page-59#post-15415878

@IVX
Those clippings you mentioned , isn't it well known :) problem with non-pro version ???

Last edited:

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, sure, and -130dbA S/N! To be honest, there is nothing really about Meizu, it is Cirrus Logic achievement, let's congrats them.
Is it an upgrade over the SMSL Idea as a standalone DAC connected to an external headphone amplifier?

Veri

Master Contributor
Is it an upgrade over the SMSL Idea as a standalone DAC connected to an external headphone amplifier?
The meizu Pro, yes. It is a lot better performance wise. The regular meizu however, does not have a lot of power compared to the Idea.

Carlens

The meizu Pro, yes. It is a lot better performance wise. The regular meizu however, does not have a lot of power compared to the Idea.
Instead, the big problem with Meizu non-Pro is the issue when it play at 44.1kHz IMO.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello,
New to forum and to dac.
Can be used the hidizs s8 as dac for pc and normal speakers?
Thanks for reply.
Sure. It has proper 2 volt nominal output which is the same as what a DAC produces. Of course you need a power amplifier for passive speakers. If your speakers are active (plug into the wall) then you should be good to go.

cc1z

Sure. It has proper 2 volt nominal output which is the same as what a DAC produces. Of course you need a power amplifier for passive speakers. If your speakers are active (plug into the wall) then you should be good to go.

Hi Amirm,
many thank for reply.
My chain will be: MacBook Pro > eventually this dac > audiolab 8200A integrated amp (rca input) > speaker Sonus Faber concertino.
Or you can suggest a better solution?

Actually my connection is direct from MacBook to amp via 3.5 jack to rca amp imput.

Interesting also possibility to connect via bluetooth (if possible in some way with this dac). For this option I have considered Topping D50s. Will be a better solution or this is better from your measurement?
Sorry but my first request probably wans't clear enough.

Last edited:

Zerohour

actually, about this, I currently use the Apple dongle (might be replacing with the Tempotec) as the DAC for my PC connected to a powered speaker, do I set it to max in windows or does it not matter since I can just control the volume on the speakers itself?

Pawelekdabek

actually, about this, I currently use the Apple dongle (might be replacing with the Tempotec) as the DAC for my PC connected to a powered speaker, do I set it to max in windows or does it not matter since I can just control the volume on the speakers itself?
It is always the best to adjust volume on the latest audio component in your audio path ;) especially when it is analog volume control.

H

Hifihedgehog

"I seriously think they tried to give it some sort of v-shaped signature or something"
Or maybe the DAC has less distortion and more power so that it no longer makes the highs edgy and now the bass has enough current behind it? That reviewer has lapped so many ladles from the audiophool Kool-Aid punch bowl that it has addled his mind.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, sure, and -130dbA S/N! To be honest, there is nothing really about Meizu, it is Cirrus Logic achievement, let's congrats them.

I'm confused. Meizu nonPro produces 1V, has issues with sync of non 48kHz files. Hidisz S8 produces 2V output and has no sync issues. And you still suggest Meizu is better?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amirm,
many thank for reply.
My chain will be: MacBook Pro > eventually this dac > audiolab 8200A integrated amp (rca input) > speaker Sonus Faber concertino.
Hello there. If you don't need a portable solution, I would look to desktop solutions. Desktop products have proper volume control and display so they are much easier to use.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amirm,
many thank for reply.

Actually my connection is direct from MacBook to amp via 3.5 jack to rca amp imput.

Interesting also possibility to connect via bluetooth (if possible in some way with this dac). For this option I have considered Topping D50s. Will be a better solution or this is better from your measurement?
Sorry but my first request probably wans't clear enough.

Topping D50s would be more appropriate, or better yet, their new D90 if you can afford it.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I'm confused. Meizu nonPro produces 1V, has issues with sync of non 48kHz files. Hidisz S8 produces 2V output and has no sync issues. And you still suggest Meizu is better?
1) Meizu produces the same 2VRMS(take a look to my screenshot above) if the load is lighter than 100ohm or so. S8 produces the same 1VRMS or about at 32ohm load. That's why Meizu non-pro has about 50mW at 32ohm, S8 about 60mW at 33ohm.
2) I didn't notice any problem with my Meizu non-pro at 44.1k tracks, if you'll give me more details I'll try to find out.
3) Meizu is better for the distortions figures in real condition i.e. when the DAC is loaded with headphones because S8, in that case, has a few times worse THD. At no-load condition(without headphone plugged in), Meizu non-pro has the same distortions as S8. That's it.
I recommend Meizu non-pro because it a few times cheaper and much more compact vs S8. However, as I can see, S8 has 2 buttons, $50 for each, and if you really need that, of course, my recommendation looks silly ;)

Top Bottom