• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Failed right channel - multiple amps

Unclevanya

I'm new here so if this isn't the right place for this let me know.

My daughter has a set of older gear that makes up her audio system. She has an older turntable, cd player, and a cable to connect her iPhone to the RCA input of her amplifier.

Her original receiver was fine for a long time then suddenly lost the right channel. The cheap 1980's era flea market replacement (tested supposedly) worked for a few days then it too lost the right channel! I then took my Luxman Lv105 out of storage, it hadn't been used in more than 10 years... And after a few hours, yes the right channel went out.

I know you are all thinking I'm crazy.

I tried a lot of different things including swapping the input channels and reversing which speaker connects to which channel, but it is always the right channel impacted. And even after that channel fails, switching things does not result in the left channel failing after weeks of listening to the one channel remaining.

The only thing I can think of is that these tired old units are dying randomly on the right channel. My daughter (in her 20's) thinks she's cursed.

Is there anything I should be doing to eliminate her voodoo concerns? Lol. In all seriousness I'm stumped and worried if I toss another amp her way it too will die!

Additionally any thoughts on simple tests to do to the failed units? I'm not skilled at electronics repair, but I'm handy and have used multimeters and Scopes casually in the past. I've used a soldering iron and gun, but I'm not very accomplished at it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The only thing I can think of is that these tired old units are dying randomly on the right channel.

Quite possible. Flip a coin for a while and chances are you will get 3 x the same side in a row.
I assume you switched the speaker cables and speakers and know with absolute certainty the right channel is defective.

Not entirely off topic. Whenever I bought new electronics I often had to return the first unit well within the 1 year warranty period.
The second device never gave problems.

Both my daugther and son are also plagued with the first device often failing (not all devices).
I don't know what that is.

The last 'device' I bought was the Philips X2HR and had to return the first one. The second one worked fine.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing I can think of that may lead to one channel failing repeatedly is a short in the speaker cable. I assume you swapped cables when swapping channels?

Otherwise I'm also leaning toward the coin flip coincidence explanation.

New gear failing is why I buy a lot of manufacturer refurbished equipment. It's less expensive, it has a factory warranty and the first failure has already occurred. :)

Martin

Last edited:
OP
U

Unclevanya

Quite possible. Flip a coin for a while and chances are you will get 3 x the same side in a row.
I assume you switched the speaker cables and speakers and know with absolute certainty the right channel is defective.

I have even swapped out the cables entirely other than the phono ( since it is fixed to the tonearm.). I've switched right and left inputs on all the devices. And I've swapped the left and right speaker also.

12.5% chance for random bad luck (cumulative) but I've seen my son roll 2d20 and get snake eyes (1 in 400 chance).

Top Bottom