• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here the short/overload is in the unit itself. Most probably the phones output stage, precisely one of the many opamps in it, malfunctions. For technical reasons this issue does NOT cause DC at the output (the other, still working opamps prevent this), but causes current overload within the unit. The IEM output stil works because it is a separated output circuitry (obviously).

Unfortunately sometimes electronic parts just die, for no obvious reason. And the more units are sold the more often you can read about it in forums. Still our return and repair rate is very low, otherwise we could not keep the price at where it is right now.

Thanks, that explanation is very much appreciated. The unit sounded great until the failure.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The unit that failed, was it the 4490 or 4493 version?

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here the short/overload is in the unit itself. Most probably the phones output stage, precisely one of the many opamps in it, malfunctions. For technical reasons this issue does NOT cause DC at the output (the other, still working opamps prevent this), but causes current overload within the unit. The IEM output stil works because it is a separated output circuitry (obviously).

Unfortunately sometimes electronic parts just die, for no obvious reason. And the more units are sold the more often you can read about it in forums. Still our return and repair rate is very low, otherwise we could not keep the price at where it is right now.
I just ordered the new 4493 DAC last week, but Vintage King says it doesn't know when RME will be shipping. Do you have a general ETA for U.S.A. orders?
edit: never mind, just got confirmation it shipped this morning!

Seige

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for the measurements and information provided in this threat.

I am owning a V2 of the ADI2-DAC for a couple of days now and overall I am very impressed by it. However, upon switching the device on I can her a quiet but audible popping sound on my active speakers (RCA) and on both headphone outs with sensitive headphones. Depending on the output either on the left or right channel. It is not unpleasantly loud, but noticeable. Since the device is advertised as "pop free", I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences.

Unfortunalely, the RME support was rather unresponsive and since I am still within the return period, I would like to know if this is a defect.

I would be grateful if one of you could help me out. :)

Cheers,
Seige

ShiZo

Forum Donor
@MC_RME would probably be the best person to answer if that is normal behavior or if it should be sent in for service. I've had two different rme's and neither have had a pop with either the xlr of headphone outs. To be fair though, I have never used the rca outs and don't have any rca cables even :p.

Sorry I couldn't be more help @Seige.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
There is no "non-FS" version of the ADI-2 DAC.
There was.

products_adi_2_1b.jpg

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Low volume, or as you say quiet pops are normal. Even using relais the moment the relais switches any small DC offset will cause a click or pop. The more you amplify or use very sensitive active speakers or phones the more it becomes audible. We are talking here of DC of 1 mV (millivolt) and less. If you use less sensitive active speakers, dial down their sensitivity (if they have this option), or use a passive attenuator between ADI and speakers (while raising the ref level to a higher value) the quiet pop would become completely inaudible.

Seige

Thank you for the response and reassurance @ShiZo and @MC_RME :)

Another minor thing I have realised is that once the device is in standby it emits a crackling static on the RCA, which can be heard on my monitors. Is there a convenient way to avoid this?

On a positive note, the USB implementation of the ADI-2-DAC is rock solid (similar to the Babyface Pro I own). I have yet to encounter an error during playback (e.g. a cracking or popping sound), even after reducing the buffer size for testing. Combined with the option to use multiple ASIO streams alongside WDM makes the device so much more useful. I think this does not get enough attention. How many "high end" DACs have issues maintaining a stable USB connection, or come with shoddy drivers (schiit, Chord etc).

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you for the response and reassurance @ShiZo and @MC_RME :)

Another minor thing I have realised is that once the device is in standby it emits a crackling static on the RCA, which can be heard on my monitors. Is there a convenient way to avoid this?

On a positive note, the USB implementation of the ADI-2-DAC is rock solid (similar to the Babyface Pro I own). I have yet to encounter an error during playback (e.g. a cracking or popping sound), even after reducing the buffer size for testing. Combined with the option to use multiple ASIO streams alongside WDM makes the device so much more useful. I think this does not get enough attention. How many "high end" DACs have issues maintaining a stable USB connection, or come with shoddy drivers (schiit, Chord etc).
That's RME for you! :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The drivers and TotalMix were a main reason for me to go with RME.

paradoxical3

My RME arrived. Using them with my Hd650 and Sonarworks Tru-fi EQ listening to Shostakovich Symphony No. 7 with Oundijan conducting.....I am not sure if there is any point to spending more on anything better. I am a conservatory trained musician who has both listened to as well as performed with orchestras. With a touch of crossfeed (setting 2) this is the first setup that allows me to not focus on what gear I am listening too and just experience a symphony. I also find the Sonarworks software invaluable with HD650 in particular.

The RME is a very, very good piece of equipment. And the HD650 with proper eq are very, very good headphones. I really question the need for $4k headphones and such (even though I bought the Stellia which have not arrived) after hearing these properly EQd with a top tier amp and dac behind them.

Celty

My RME arrived. Using them with my Hd650 and Sonarworks Tru-fi EQ listening to Shostakovich Symphony No. 7 with Oundijan conducting.....I am not sure if there is any point to spending more on anything better. I am a conservatory trained musician who has both listened to as well as performed with orchestras. With a touch of crossfeed (setting 2) this is the first setup that allows me to not focus on what gear I am listening too and just experience a symphony. I also find the Sonarworks software invaluable with HD650 in particular.

The RME is a very, very good piece of equipment. And the HD650 with proper eq are very, very good headphones. I really question the need for $4k headphones and such (even though I bought the Stellia which have not arrived) after hearing these properly EQd with a top tier amp and dac behind them.
Curious, what EQ setting have you wound up with for your HD650's?

paradoxical3

Curious, what EQ setting have you wound up with for your HD650's?

I tried rolling my own but wasn't able to get it to sound better than Sonarworks True-Fi. If you're not familiar with them, they measured the HD650 and then create an eq to flatten it based specifically on the measurements on the headphones. Within their software, I personalize it by compensating for average hearing loss of a 31yr old male (which I am) and then adjust the bass up 2.5db which I find I prefer with classical recordings. This eq totally un-muffles the HD650 and the crossfeed of the RME opens up the soundstage drastically. When I tried this eq with lesser amplifiers I found it would distort but the RME has the power to handle it flawlessley.

Celty

I tried rolling my own but wasn't able to get it to sound better than Sonarworks True-Fi. If you're not familiar with them, they measured the HD650 and then create an eq to flatten it based specifically on the measurements on the headphones. Within their software, I personalize it by compensating for average hearing loss of a 31yr old male (which I am) and then adjust the bass up 2.5db which I find I prefer with classical recordings. This eq totally un-muffles the HD650 and the crossfeed of the RME opens up the soundstage drastically. When I tried this eq with lesser amplifiers I found it would distort but the RME has the power to handle it flawlessley.
Ah cool

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I didn’t try Sonarworks Tru-Fi still but interesting what target curve they are using. Headphones curve is much more controversial thing than a house curve. I don’t think my HD650 is muffled.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too have been greatly enjoying all the cool features of the new DAC, especially the EQ. Buying an IEM just to try out this specially designed output.

Willem

Major Contributor
Indeed, and all those settings can be done separately for left and right channel and separately for headphone and speaker output.
I have only two gripes. First, I would prefer to do the settings from a pc, and second I would like to be able to upload REW files or, perhaps even better, to have Dirac. But for now, this is by far the most versatile DAC

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I didn’t try Sonarworks Tru-Fi still but interesting what target curve they are using. Headphones curve is much more controversial thing than a house curve. I don’t think my HD650 is muffled.
It's their own tweaked version of the Harman curve for headphones. The HD650 is already quite close to this target so it mostly "fixes" midrange by some dB and sub-bass by a lot. Other than that it still sounds like a HD650 ;)

Top Bottom