• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Any Requests?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi guys.

I am going to CES 2017 which starts on January 5th. As usual I will be going to both the main hall (focused on video mostly) and high-end audio suites at the Venetian hotel.

No business this year so I should be able to fully cover the show.

On a weird note, I am staying at Trump Hotel. It is strange to be staying at a hotel with our president's name!

One of the things I hate when I get back to show is someone asking me, "did you see so and so company?" And of course many times I have not and can't go back in time to correct.

So tell me if there are specific exhibitors or products you want me to look at and/or pay more attention.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It is strange to be staying at a hotel with our president's name!

It won't be HIS name, he will be all divested by then...

Oh. January 5th.

Nevermind.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
It won't be HIS name, he will be all divested by then...

Oh. January 5th.

Nevermind.
Yeah, let's hope he is all divested. Somehow I doubt that the main stream of his supporters saw the problem before they voted or that they even see any problem now, duh? I doubt that the soon to be Commander-in-Chief foresaw the extent of the problem. I did and I do now see a huge problem and I am worried. We cannot all just look the other way unless he and his family divest. But, there are are hopeful, but ambiguous, signs that he is beginning to catch on. Is it false optimism that he will do the right thing? The ball is totally in his court.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Neeo's stand please, Amir. Interested to hear your impressions of this apparently new take on remote controls.
Will do. Looks like they will be in Z-wave booth.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Go look at TAD, they might have a active speaker on show.
They have made an announcement but it is for passive bookshelf speaker only: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CES_2017/Press_Center/TAD_Micro_Evolution_One_Loudspeaker.htm

"MoFi and TAD will proudly host the US debut of the TAD Micro Evolution One loudspeaker ($12,495 per pair) at CES 2017 Venetian suites room 30-139. This landmark model represents a new entry point for the brand in both size and price with complete TAD technology.

The ME-1 features TAD's latest Coherent Source Transducer with a 1-inch Beryllium tweeter and a 3.5-inch Magnesium mid-range in the brand's signature concentric arrangement. These two drivers cover nearly 8 octaves of music with incredible phase coherence. The precision crossover network uses carefully selected air core coils, non-inductive winding resistors and low loss electrolytic film capacitors. Bass duties are handled by the custom 6.3-inch Multi-layered Aramid Composite woofer which uses a titanium bobbin and large ferrite magnet to reproduce deep powerful bass without coloration."

Hunt down and report on all active speaker designs.. Please :)
Will do.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They have made an announcement but it is for passive bookshelf speaker only: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CES_2017/Press_Center/TAD_Micro_Evolution_One_Loudspeaker.htm

"MoFi and TAD will proudly host the US debut of the TAD Micro Evolution One loudspeaker ($12,495 per pair) at CES 2017 Venetian suites room 30-139. This landmark model represents a new entry point for the brand in both size and price with complete TAD technology.

The ME-1 features TAD's latest Coherent Source Transducer with a 1-inch Beryllium tweeter and a 3.5-inch Magnesium mid-range in the brand's signature concentric arrangement. These two drivers cover nearly 8 octaves of music with incredible phase coherence. The precision crossover network uses carefully selected air core coils, non-inductive winding resistors and low loss electrolytic film capacitors. Bass duties are handled by the custom 6.3-inch Multi-layered Aramid Composite woofer which uses a titanium bobbin and large ferrite magnet to reproduce deep powerful bass without coloration."

Will do.
Yea I know about them, the U.K. Distributor reckons they are brilliant beyond belief. There were rumours of a active speaker but TAD are forever going back to the drawing board on products ..

Bizarre tbh.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I might be mildly interested in Highish-End VR.

I'm not sure what for, since I don't do games.

Still, the idea intrigues me. So go get in the long line (or flash your Buyer Badge for VIP Treatment) and see what the ultimate VR does now, and how it compares to what us proles end up getting. I don't think I'm interested in the clip-your-cellphone-on-your-head level.

If you don't come back I'll assume it was pretty good.

This Conan video caught my eye a while back.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
VR headsets have massive lines at CES. I avoid them for that reason. I did sit through one from Samsung and it was horrible after half hour of waiting. Low resolution and flickering video.

But sure if I can see one that doesn't have a long line I will try it and report back.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
VR headsets have massive lines at CES.

That probably means they're Really Cool and, therefore, I don't need one, for at least another ten years or so.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I might be mildly interested in Highish-End VR.

I'm not sure what for, since I don't do games.

Still, the idea intrigues me. So go get in the long line (or flash your Buyer Badge for VIP Treatment) and see what the ultimate VR does now, and how it compares to what us proles end up getting. I don't think I'm interested in the clip-your-cellphone-on-your-head level.

If you don't come back I'll assume it was pretty good.

This Conan video caught my eye a while back.

I went to the Microsoft Hololens demo at their MGX show in Orlando in 2016. It was AR as opposed to VR, but very cool.

There was also a demo of the headset by either Samsung or HPC (forget which) what was full VR.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That's 50 attendees per booth all at once.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The 200,000 includes exhibitors so actual average is lower but still, this is one zoo of a show. We are talking tax lines that take 90 minutes to get to the front of the line! Thank heavens for Uber now.

Top Bottom